A Builder Wants Your Input

I am purchasing lots and undervalued remodel properties in the Heights area.

As new development in the Heights can be a touchy subject, I want to give y'all a chance to determine what is in the area's best interest.

I am starting construction on multiple types of projects.

We have density 3 story attached homes, following a ranch/craftsman type design. All density units will utilize high end construction methods, ornate design characteristics, and will maintain a "Heights Area" feel to them.

We are also purchasing bungalows and adding liveable area on all, and an additional story on some.

A single unit new construction multi-story custom home will be built here and there.

Feel free to give me your input.

Thank you

I am purchasing lots and undervalued remodel properties in the Heights area. [b]Where?As new development in the Heights can be a touchy subject, I want to give y'all a chance to determine what is in the area's best interest.

I am starting construction on multiple types of projects. Where?We have density 3 story attached homes, following a ranch/craftsman type design. There is no such thing as a "ranch/craftsman" thing. All density units will utilize high end construction methods, ornate design characteristics, and will maintain a "Heights Area" feel to them. "Ranch" isn't a Heights feel.We are also purchasing bungalows and adding liveable area on all, and an additional story on some. Where?A single unit new construction multi-story custom home will be built here and there. Where?Feel free to give me your input.

Thank you

I have to agree with nmainguy. Ranch is not heights, at least in the usual definition. Craftsman is definitely Heights. There will be some who disagree, but I do not mind density housing, especially with a New Orleans Garden District look to it. Front porches and alley garage access look good and keep what is valuable in the Heights, which is a comfortable walkable streetscape, IMHO.

Not crazy about 3 story, especially if the garage is on the first floor. Heights lots are dep enough to put a detached garage in back, and still have a sizable 2 story house.

Thanks for asking. :D

I was looking for the following, in any area of town...but couldn't find it. I finally settled on SFR instead of a townhouse.

1500 sqft or less (keep the purchase price as well as utility costs down)

Oversized 2 car garage with an apartment above

Enough back yard for my dog to use, but not so much that it is a pain to maintain

Low maintenance exterior coverings (brick, metal, etc)

Zoned HVAC

Porches or a deck, up high with a skyline view would've been nice but not a must have

I'd like to see where there is such a thing as an undervalued remodel property in the Heights.

If you want my opinion, please at least stay away from attached residences. Rowhouses are so yesterday. The demand, resale value, and value to the neighborhood go up exponentially every inch of space between homes. You can make as much or more on three detached homes than four attached rowhouses.

If you want my opinion, please at least stay away from attached residences. Rowhouses are so yesterday. The demand, resale value, and value to the neighborhood go up exponentially every inch of space between homes. You can make as much or more on three detached homes than four attached rowhouses.

Very true. While some residents may not appreciate the split-lot single family homes, EVERYBODY hates the attached townhouses.

EDIT: You might could get away with the attached stuff on Yale or Studewood, if the design is right. Not in the neighborhoods, though.

Very true. While some residents may not appreciate the split-lot single family homes, EVERYBODY hates the attached townhouses.

EDIT: You might could get away with the attached stuff on Yale or Studewood, if the design is right. Not in the neighborhoods, though.

I couldn't agree more--- about both parts. I think even townhomes would be welcome on Studewood where the empty carwash is and a couple other run down properties.

Personally, I hate it when a house looks like it's teetering on top of it's garage. Plus, the typical 3 story TH model, where living space is all on the 2nd and 3rd floor, is just not practical for couples wanting to start a family. These are your major players in the Heights right now, as they give up their midtown and Montrose townhomes for real houses in a more family friendly neighborhood.

There are 2 gorgeous (from the outside, the floor plans suck) homes at the corner of 11th and Michaux. They have nice lots and fit in well with the neighborhood. They're big enough to please the new home buyer, but not SO large that they dwarf the rest of the homes around them. The only thing I don't like is that they are the same exact house right next to eachother. Build with some variety...

Oh, there is also a new bungalow being built on Rutland, about 3 houses north of 11th. I bet they get whatever they ask for it.

The only thing I don't like is that they are the same exact house right next to eachother. Build with some variety...

Heard an interesting story there...rich kid gets money from dear old Dad to "try being a developer" (very common practice among Houston's elite). Decides to build 4 houses in the Heights. Gets two homes designed, and buys 4 lots - the two on Michaux, and two somewhere else up in Norhill. One of each home is supposed to go on Michaux, and one of each in Norhill. Kid gets it all arranged (or so he thought), blasts off to Europe for several months. Comes back, and the contractor is building two homes of the one design on Michaux, and two of the other design in Norhill. :o:unsure:

True story, or so I heard from a friend that has a friend that "knows the rich kid".

I do not like to see garages on the facade of a house. Nothing about a garage makes it worthy of the showcase that is the facade of the house. This indicates either lazy design or lack of space. We have alleys that the garage can face. Keep our streets lined with something worth looking at.

We live in a sfh taking up most of our lot. I admit it isn't an ideal to me even though I live in it. If it were attached, however, I would not live in it. I do not like the half million dollar properties in our old neighborhood that share a wall. It seems like you should be able to at least get the space we have between the houses for that much.

Three stories are a bit too much to me. I know people have this, but I don't want that.

Since you asked: When I've looked at homes, one thing that is important to us is cabling for data and such. There are common oversights that plague new builds. Please at least talk to people who know (not onlythe electrician) about hookups before determining where to place them. Get them to tell you the best way. Electricians and data cable installers have very different ideas about most things as do entertainment system people and alarm system installers. Mechanicals like these are important b/c you have to live with them.

I also prefer variety that is consistent with what's around it. The craftsman movement was good at offering variety but remaining within the design parameters. Vics do too. So, don't make everything look crazy different but you don't have to have everything look all the same, either.

Heard an interesting story there...rich kid gets money from dear old Dad to "try being a developer" (very common practice among Houston's elite). Decides to build 4 houses in the Heights. Gets two homes designed, and buys 4 lots - the two on Michaux, and two somewhere else up in Norhill. One of each home is supposed to go on Michaux, and one of each in Norhill. Kid gets it all arranged (or so he thought), blasts off to Europe for several months. Comes back, and the contractor is building two homes of the one design on Michaux, and two of the other design in Norhill. :o:unsure:

True story, or so I heard from a friend that has a friend that "knows the rich kid".

Interesting. I went to an open house at one of the properties. I thought they were so pretty from the outside and looked well done (wood windows, nice iron fences, etc...) Inside, another story. They are nice- don't get me wrong- but the floor plan. Ugh! Upstairs there were 3 rooms, including a laundry room. You don't put a laundry room on a 2nd story- if you have a leak you do sooo much more damage than if the washer was on the ground floor. There was a master suite, but no other bathroom so that 2nd room could not be a bedroom. It just didn't make a lot of sense. What does make sense is that they were built by someone who trying their hand at home building...

Oh, there is also a new bungalow being built on Rutland, about 3 houses north of 11th. I bet they get whatever they ask for it.

That is being built by a friend of mine and her husband. He's a builder and they wanted to live in the Heights so they found the lot and tore the shack that was there down. It is a FINE-ass house-but not for sale.

B)

That is being built by a friend of mine and her husband. He's a builder and they wanted to live in the Heights so they found the lot and tore the shack that was there down. It is a FINE-ass house-but not for sale.

B)

They'll be our new neighbors. Tell them welcome and that the project looks very nice. I hope they inspire whoever bought the house a couple of doors down and the person who eventually buys on the corner.

The shack that butts up against the HEB on the opposite side was torn down yesterday. I went to get the mail and saw a pile of rubble where a house used to be....I heard there will be two houses on that lot.

Upstairs there were 3 rooms, including a laundry room. You don't put a laundry room on a 2nd story- if you have a leak you do sooo much more damage than if the washer was on the ground floor.

I've noticed this trend developing in new townhomes. Having the washing machine on the 2nd or even 3rd floor is a really bad idea...not only because of the potential for leaks, but also because the idea of hauling a 300 pound washing machine up three flights of narrow stairs isn't very appealing.

I think washer/dryers next to where your dirty clothes are is a great idea. If the bedrooms and baths are upstairs, why not wash them where you drop them? There is no more danger of leaks than a bathroom, and you only carry the washer upstairs once every 15 years.

My utility room is right next to my bedroom (one story house), and walking 5 feet to do laundry is much easier than it would be to carry everything downstairs, wash, and carry it all back upstairs.

But, to each his (or her) own.

If the bedrooms and baths are upstairs, why not wash them where you drop them?

We had ours on the second story in our Perry and loved it. And the washer goes in a pan which drains out in case of leaks.

Only one problem is that ceramic tile can cause vibration with a washer on the 2nd story. So skip ceramic tile in the laundry room.

And don't forget most hot water heaters are now in the attic. Also placed in pans.

I think washer/dryers next to where your dirty clothes are is a great idea. If the bedrooms and baths are upstairs, why not wash them where you drop them? There is no more danger of leaks than a bathroom, and you only carry the washer upstairs once every 15 years.

My utility room is right next to my bedroom (one story house), and walking 5 feet to do laundry is much easier than it would be to carry everything downstairs, wash, and carry it all back upstairs.

But, to each his (or her) own.

I see your point, Red. However, in this floor plan the other bedrooms are downstairs. :P

Seriously, though, it was more about the fact that the whole 2nd floor was such a poor use of space. The house was not laid out well at all.

We have the same as you. The w/d are in a room between our bedroom and the bathroom. It's a perfect collection spot :D

We had ours on the second story in our Perry and loved it. And the washer goes in a pan which drains out in case of leaks.

Only one problem is that ceramic tile can cause vibration with a washer on the 2nd story. So skip ceramic tile in the laundry room.

And don't forget most hot water heaters are now in the attic. Also placed in pans.

I was thinking big leaks, not the type that can be caught by a pan. My mother's washer leaked a whole lotta water a couple years ago, damaging the floor, ceiling, electrical, downstairs wall and some of the downstairs floor. It would have been much less serious had the washer been downstairs (which it is now).

I was thinking big leaks, not the type that can be caught by a pan. My mother's washer leaked a whole lotta water a couple years ago, damaging the floor, ceiling, electrical, downstairs wall and some of the downstairs floor. It would have been much less serious had the washer been downstairs (which it is now).

I see the problem to be washers in general, not the location.

We have a very low priority item to retrofit a washer and dryer into our master closet upstairs. We did some preliminary research into ways to avoid ruinous leaks. I don't think it will be a big deal. The convenience of having a w/d upstairs and downstairs should be an improvement.

Between shut off valves, overflow drains, pans and other devices, you can work out a system that controls the potential leak and potential damage.

As your mom, my dad, and anyone else who had a leak can attest, it is probably a good idea to use these measures no matter the location of your washer. And they'll work as well upstairs as downstairs. (We have another low priority item to do these things for the downstairs w/d.)

Most houses have a a/c on the second floor or in the attic which is another potential leak source that one manages to mitigate. The same stuff can be applied to the washer or your hot water heater.

A couple of years ago we added on a new master bath and a huge dressing are with front-loading w/d's. We are on pier and beam so we depressed a stainless steel pan into the beams with a drain all the way out to the exterior. About a year later, my partner over-loaded the washer and it over-flowed. Every drop ended up in our side yard and not a drop in the house. This could be done on a second floor as well.

B)

Guest danax

Smithterra, IMHO, if you're building in The Heights, then you need, first and foremost, to conform to The Heights. Although it's being done, The Heights is not the place to get creative on the exteriors. Stick to replicas of the specific period where the lot sits. The interiors can and should facilitate modern living with a period feel. You'll be loved, admired, get good karma, good vibes and the homes will sell and be bought by "Heights-types" and non-Heights-types who will likely become Heights-types, therefore you'll be contributing greatly to the weaving of the delicate fabric of our city's historic legacy. And you thought you were just a builder. ;)

Houston is already supremely mucked up in terms of historic architecture en masse as can be found in other neighborhoods across the country. The Heights is our only glimmer of hope, and it's a humble one at that. Ranch is ok for Timbergrove but not The Heights. Townhomes on busy streets perhaps but they should be also in the historic styles.

Don't join the group that either don't understand or don't care or both. The fact that you're asking shows you're probably not one of those.

Working in the insurance biz, I don't see many problems with second story laundry rooms, most take into account potential leaks and have methods of 'holding' the water in a certain area or draining it away from the house, just like a/c drip pans and hot water heaters in attics.

But getting back to the the developers question, please, for the love of God, do not build any more three story single family homes next door to bungalows. My partner and I live in a restored 1500 square foot bungalow, next door to which was built a 4700, yes four thousand seven hundred, square foot three story home. Behind us will soon be 15 three story townhomes (garage on ground floor, living on 2 and 3). On Heights Blvd, or an area where there are large Victorians, I could see big three story homes in that respect, but putting up something that is double or triple the square footage of the homes around it is not neighborhood friendly and will only lead to negative talk about your company. Restoring a bungalow and adding on some square footage, or a second story, that's fine. As for design style, not sure I've heard of 'ranch/craftsman' either. I always thought a ranch was a long one story rambling rectangular box. Now if you mean 'ranch' in the sense of "Hill Country" (limestone/stone facades with brick and/or siding) that would depend on the overall style of the rest of the structure.

I guess the best advice I could give would be this: Try to build something that someone driving down the street would look at not be able to tell if it was new or had been there since 1910...

Seems that heavy density is the route the city is going inside the loop. The biggest problem i have with that aside from the lack of trees is.........

Are there enough fire stations in close proximity to these developments? Building so close together like that can be a potential fire disaster if proper planning isnt taken into account..........

Seems that heavy density is the route the city is going inside the loop. The biggest problem i have with that aside from the lack of trees is.........

Are there enough fire stations in close proximity to these developments? Building so close together like that can be a potential fire disaster if proper planning isnt taken into account..........

Kudos for bringing this up. Not many people think about things like this. They also don't notice the slow deterioration of water pressure which I am starting to get annoyed with in Shady Acres.

Also, you might want to make sure that there isn't a problem with the loads on the electrical out back. HL&P had to replace parts of the lines back there. They kept getting too hot, melting and then we'd have brown outs or black outs. They fixed in pretty short order, but it took three or four instances. The loads plus the west exposure created melting wires...eek.

the terminology is redundant, isn't it

i was just pointing out that they are really called "water heaters" not "hot water heaters" that most people seem to call them including myself sometimes.... :wacko:

I am purchasing lots and undervalued remodel properties in the Heights area.

As new development in the Heights can be a touchy subject, I want to give y'all a chance to determine what is in the area's best interest.

I am starting construction on multiple types of projects.

We have density 3 story attached homes, following a ranch/craftsman type design. All density units will utilize high end construction methods, ornate design characteristics, and will maintain a "Heights Area" feel to them.

We are also purchasing bungalows and adding liveable area on all, and an additional story on some.

A single unit new construction multi-story custom home will be built here and there.

Feel free to give me your input.

Thank you

Three story homes and homes on slabs sell slower in the Heights. It's not what most people want.

Archived