Burj Dubai

I've been to Dubai so many times...what an awesome city when it comes to Architecture....Dubai makes the whole USA look like a childrens playground. Dubai has vision, uniqueness and creativity behind architecture of all of their buildings.

I've been to Dubai so many times...what an awesome city when it comes to Architecture....Dubai makes the whole USA look like a childrens playground. Dubai has vision, uniqueness and creativity behind architecture of all of their buildings.

Is Dubai's economy as strong as their buildings look? GREAT looking city from the skyline, and I would LOVE to visit, but I'm curious what Dubai looks like from street level.

that building is sick. I have seen the renderings many times, but I did not know it was under construction. I need to do some research. I would love to the see the economics of this tower. Who is building, costs, etc.

Great Post. Thanks for the updates.

That thing is hideous. Makes me fear that the Islamic extremists are nearing the dawn of their world-wide empire in the space age and what not that's scary. That thing does not look real. Is this thread another one of Dominax's jokes?

And look at that cheap-looking construction scene.

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/05...006-05-13-4.jpg

There's another page with some photos about the Burj Dubai here.

There's been a lot of trouble with that, and other projects in Dubai lately. The imported labor (Indian, Bangladeshi, etc...) have gone on strike a couple of times. They get something like US$3.40 per day in wages, and want another $1.40 a day. There have also been numerous reports of workers being beaten for praying on the job, docked pay when the company-provided transportation got them to work late, and other abuses.

The strikes have affected projects all across Dubai. I believe at the height of the protests 10,000 people were off the job. Interestingly, when some of the workers decided to go back to work they were beaten by the strikers.

It's hard to get a real sense of what's going on in Dubai, since the media is entirely controlled by the government. Most fo the stories are coming from newspapers in India which are relating information provided by former workers.

Even though it's not completed yet, Burj Dubai may be old-school.

Kuwait has a new tower in the works that will be much larger than the Burj Dubai. It's called the Mubarak al-Kabir Tower, and is backed by the Emir, himself; which in a country like Kuwait is all you need. Here's a drawing:

Mubarakal-Kabir-001.jpg

I wonder how long it will take for the Muslim extremist to focus thier attention on these towers, which are a symbol of all things western..............

I have the same exact thought. My thought is that terrorist will wait until it is finished and then take it out. I am still wondering who is bankrolling this project. It can't be the smartest investment of all time. Does the Dubai government back this type of project.

On a side note, is Dubai where the Islands of the World are being built. I do not know the exact name, but basically every county of the world is being artificially built for tourism purposes.

I want to hit Dubai in a bad way, but Mexico is a hell of lot cheaper and easier to get too. :rolleyes:

I have the same exact thought. My thought is that terrorist will wait until it is finished and then take it out. I am still wondering who is bankrolling this project. It can't be the smartest investment of all time. Does the Dubai government back this type of project.

On a side note, is Dubai where the Islands of the World are being built. I do not know the exact name, but basically every county of the world is being artificially built for tourism purposes.

I want to hit Dubai in a bad way, but Mexico is a hell of lot cheaper and easier to get too. :rolleyes:

Yes its where the islands are being built. Most of the construction and brains behind all of the projects are people outside of the region.......yet another reason for extremist to rally behind the western take over cry and destroy...... :( :( :( :( :( :(

Dubai has never really had a ton of oil to begin with, compared to her neighbors.

They've been really smart to market their global location. A huge shipping and free trade zone as well as a top notch airport and AGGRESSIVE airline (EK). In fact, IAH will probably be announced sooner rather than later for non-stop service.

Dubai has never really had a ton of oil to begin with, compared to her neighbors.

They've been really smart to market their global location. A huge shipping and free trade zone as well as a top notch airport and AGGRESSIVE airline (EK). In fact, IAH will probably be announced sooner rather than later for non-stop service.

You may be right, but i have a feeling IAH will see Kuwait City service first.........

I thought it was against their religion or bad luck or something to go over 30 or 32 stories. Does anyone know about this?

I haven't heard that about the Middle East. It is common in southeast Asia, particularly the area around Hong Kong to skip certain floor numbers and not to put up a building with an "unlucky" number of floors. They're mad about that sort of thing there, but I'd never heard of it in the Middle East.

Dubai's economy is very strong...is like Kuwait, where 90 percent Nationals are wealthy.

Dubai makes the whole USA look like a childrens playground. Dubai has vision, uniqueness and creativity behind architecture of all of their buildings.

Remember that art is in the eye of the beholder. I would much rather be in Manhattan walking through all of it's neo classical/Victorian architecture than through Dubai's glass structures.

Archived