Rooftop Gardens

I don't know how long the South Texas College of Law has had a rooftop garden, but (from the street) I think it looks good. This got me to wondering how many other rooftop gardens exist in Houston? Not just a few chaise lounges and some wisteria vines, but serious rooftop gardens that building occupants can actually enjoy.

Studies show that rooftop gardens help moderate building temperatures, create habitats for birds and insects, and reduce the amount of water runoff. Of course it goes without saying that they can provide great aesthetic satisfaction as well!

155040119_1a777d0f17.jpg

There's another one at the corner of Main and Prairie. They are rehabbing the ground floor for retail but the other floors are residential. I go by this building all the time but this week was the first time that i noticed the garden

I think there's some greenery on the roof of the Calpine garage, but I couldn't get a good look at it.

Chicago has been pushing roof gardens for the reasons you mention, but there are practical restictions on building them. The roof has to be able to support the additional weight, which can be considerable, and drainage systems have to be modified. Finally, most building owners probably don't want people running around on the roof.

Roof gardens are actually an old idea that seem to be making a small comeback. Some old buildings downtown had them, such as the Rossonian apartments.

Chicago has been pushing roof gardens for the reasons you mention, but there are practical restictions on building them. The roof has to be able to support the additional weight, which can be considerable, and drainage systems have to be modified. Finally, most building owners probably don't want people running around on the roof.

In Chicago you can apply for a grant from the city to reinforce and retrofit your roof for a garden. The city also gives tax incentives to developers whose skyscrapers have gardens on the roof. There's an apartment building down the street that has a rooftop garden with a cooking area and an outdoor theater for the residents. The mayor has a private garden on the roof of city hall. You can see it from Google Maps.

Chicago wants as many buildings as possible to have rooftop gardens because they absorb rainwater. The city has spent $3,000,000,000 on a project called Deep Tunnel to deal with runoff problems. They've been building it since the 1970's, and it's almost finished. The city thinks it might be cheaper to give people money to put gardens on their roofs than spend another 30 years building another underground reservoir.

In Houston, I've noticed there are plants on the roof of the Diocese chancery downtown, but I don't know if it's a full garden or potted trees.

I think encouraging roof gardens is a good idea. Plants keep temperatures down, improve air quality, and are pleasant to look at. And with Houston's notorious runoff problems, every little bit will help.

Doesn't one of the new buildings at TMC have a roof garden? I'm thinking of that one building that was LEED certified.

i think you are talking about the UT nursing school:

http://www.uthouston.edu/index/maps/building/son.html

i attended a conference there recently, and features of the building were discussed, but nothing about a rooftop garden

• The title was changed to Rooftop Gardens

Archived