Verdict reached in Lay/Skilling case!

I have mentioned this before on here . . .

I think they should erect a statue to Lay for all the great things he has done for Houston. And, right beside the statue, they should erect a gallows on which to hang him on! Skilling can join him there.

Skilling

Fraud - GUILTY!

Conspiracy - GUILTY!

Lay

Conspiracy - GUILTY!

(more to come)

Lay guilty on ALL counts!!!

Also!!!

Lay has been found guilty of bank fraud in his other trial! It just ain't Ken's day, is it?

Wow, I did not know that. They must be friends. I pretty much think Zindler is a waste of Air time. He is so made up and over the top. His days are numbered as he is about 104 years old.

Yep, it's like looking at a corpse talking or one of those animatronic puppets at Disney. Just gives ya the "heebie-jeebies".

So, um, September 11th is your sentencing date, you turned in your passport but have $5,000,000 to spend on bond, it appears that you might be in prison for a 160 year sentence, and until three months from now, you will be free to roam anywhere you want in the U.S. without any supervision, ankle bracelet, or tracking device.

If you were Jeff Skilling or Ken Lay, why would you not run away before September 11th? Sneak to another country and start a new life? Doesn't it sound wierd that they won't be monitored?

Yep, it's like looking at a corpse talking or one of those animatronic puppets at Disney. Just gives ya the "heebie-jeebies".

everyone knows he's a robot! next thing you know, he'll be on display at chuck e. cheese's

MODERATORS PLEASE LOCK OR DELETE THIS THREAD!

There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for the things being said about my humble master, Lord Maaaaarvin Zindlerrrrrrrrrrrrrr. You blasphemers shall spend eternity freezing in the slime of the ice machine. You will feel the pain of off-temperature meat as it winds through your bowels. You will sleep in a bed of rodent droppings!

Bow to the blue-glassed, plastic-faced warrior of TRUTH!!!

Sincerely,

Marvin's Angel

MarvinZindler.jpg

(Isn't He beautiful?)

Of all the memories I have of working at That Place, once that I will cherish a lot is wandering aimlessly into the second studio, bearing the pathetic wreckage of some keyboard that felt the full wrath of some hurricane of a producer or reporter, and hearing piano music.

It was Marvin, just tickling the ivories on the semi-tuned worn-out piano on the Duncan set in between Whatever and Whatever Else before the newscast. What was just a nuisance to others on wheels, reduced to a set piece that received occasional wipes with lemon Pledge instead of a professional tuning, Marvin gave it some of its dignity back by actually playing it.

He stopped for a bit, and had something to say that was simple, deep, and put it all into perspective before puttering off to Whatever Else.

I guess I didn't cherish the memory enough, because I don't remember what he said. But the one thing I am certain of is that it put everything into perspective.

Couple of somewhat interesting observations....

The sentence is likely to be pretty long, given the amount of money lost by employees and investors. An appeal would not keep these two out of prison.

Lay's children, including his son, will be posting the $5 million bond. Lay's son made much of his money SHORT SELLING Enron stock...the same practice that Lay claims sunk the company.

If an appeal does not keep Skilling and Lay out of prison, will President Bush pardon two of his biggest contributors? If he decides to do so, does he do it on or before Sept. 11, sentencing day, or does he let them sit in jail for a little while, then proclaim them sufficiently rehabilitated?

If the Federal Sentencing Guidelines dictate an inordinately long prison term, does Congress finally declare them Draconian, and reform them to allow judges some leeway?

Just curious.

I wonder where Lay has declared his residency? I have a feeling it may be Florida.

Florida law allows people like Lay and OJ to protect vast sums of money from creditors and legal action by making Florida their legal residence.

It seems like I heard that Lay bought a house there a while back. If that is the case, I would bet Lay has millions socked away there.

I wonder where Lay has declared his residency? I have a feeling it may be Florida.

Florida law allows people like Lay and OJ to protect vast sums of money from creditors and legal action by making Florida their legal residence.

It seems like I heard that Lay bought a house there a while back. If that is the case, I would bet Lay has millions socked away there.

Few states allow a deadbeat to protect his assets more than Texas. In fact, it was populated on that basis. The 100% homestead exemption is not some Texas pride thing. It was created so that debtors from the East Coast states, many of which still had debtor's prisons, could come to Texas, make a living, and not have East Coast creditors swoop in and take it from them.

Many of those rules exist to this day.

You mean we could have ended up with OJ???

:lol:

Yeah, we could have.

Florida has very similar rules, BTW. Remember the example of Burt Reynolds keeping his $8 million cabin while filling bankruptcy? He was in FLA, USA. But, he could have done the same here. The only real difference between Florida and Texas is that New Yorkers retire in Florida, Midwesterners retire in Texas.

I don't know the details, but assets are supposed to be better protected in FL than TX. I know for a fact that a couple of former Enron execs relocated to Florida for that reason. Lay's primary legal residence is probably Houston. Now his travel is limited to Texas or Colorado, where he has a house or two.

I really don't think skipping town is a real option for either one of them. Their assets are effectively frozen, and neither one of them are going to adopt a lifestyle as a fugitive.

I can't imagine that they would be pardoned under any circumstances. One thing I'm not sure about is whether they can be released as their cases are appealed. Red? Given the number and scope of the convictions, it would seem odd if a judge would hold off on putting them in prison.

I don't know the details, but assets are supposed to be better protected in FL than TX. I know for a fact that a couple of former Enron execs relocated to Florida for that reason. Lay's primary legal residence is probably Houston. Now his travel is limited to Texas or Colorado, where he has a house or two.

I really don't think skipping town is a real option for either one of them. Their assets are effectively frozen, and neither one of them are going to adopt a lifestyle as a fugitive.

I can't imagine that they would be pardoned under any circumstances. One thing I'm not sure about is whether they can be released as their cases are appealed. Red? Given the number and scope of the convictions, it would seem odd if a judge would hold off on putting them in prison.

Dude, they're trying to sell all their property while they can, are looking at life sentences, and are FREE until September 11th. I can't see why Ken Lay would want to go to jail if he could change his name to Kenny Screw and have a four-month headstart...

Whether to release them while the case is on appeal is strictly up to the judge. Two considerations are the length of the sentence and the likelyhood of winning on appeal. The sentences are being predicted in the 12 to 25 year range. Most legal experts are suggesting that the chances on appeal are not very good. This would seem to suggest that Lay and Skilling would not be free on appeal, but who knows?

As for pardon, while I doubt that you would see any pardons just prior to the November elections, after that, it is anyone's guess. I can easily envision a pardon just before Bush leaves office. He has no more political career to worry about, Lay is a family friend, and they would have served 2 years in prison. Especially if the sentence is a long one, Bush could claim justice has been served. It would not be the first time Bush acted differently than his supporters expected. Consider the Dubai Ports deal and his Immigration position. In fact, I will be surprised if he does NOT pardon them in 2008.

For the record, I would not be upset if they are pardoned in 2008, though I would be if pardoned in 2006. While thousands lost everything, Lay and Skilling did, too. Their crimes were not malicious, so much as desparate (and illegal) attempts to salvage a company that had largely grown on inflated claims, just like the internet companies. The difference was that they lied about the problems to try to save it, while the internet companies often merely collapsed.

Whether to release them while the case is on appeal is strictly up to the judge. Two considerations are the length of the sentence and the likelyhood of winning on appeal. The sentences are being predicted in the 12 to 25 year range. Most legal experts are suggesting that the chances on appeal are not very good. This would seem to suggest that Lay and Skilling would not be free on appeal, but who knows?

As for pardon, while I doubt that you would see any pardons just prior to the November elections, after that, it is anyone's guess. I can easily envision a pardon just before Bush leaves office. He has no more political career to worry about, Lay is a family friend, and they would have served 2 years in prison. Especially if the sentence is a long one, Bush could claim justice has been served. It would not be the first time Bush acted differently than his supporters expected. Consider the Dubai Ports deal and his Immigration position. In fact, I will be surprised if he does NOT pardon them in 2008.

For the record, I would not be upset if they are pardoned in 2008, though I would be if pardoned in 2006. While thousands lost everything, Lay and Skilling did, too. Their crimes were not malicious, so much as desparate (and illegal) attempts to salvage a company that had largely grown on inflated claims, just like the internet companies. The difference was that they lied about the problems to try to save it, while the internet companies often merely collapsed.

I would have agreed with you if Lay and Skilling admitted their guilt. They still believe they did nothing wrong, even though thousands of people lost a LOT of money that invested in Enron as the company's problems were secretly popping up. I haven't heard of them having any remorse. Why should that be pardoned?

Think of Enron as the Titanic 2006, Lay and Skilling are the captains, and you're an investor that took a helicopter onto the boat with all your belongings after the ship set sail and hit the iceberg. Wouldn't you want justice as a survivor if Lay or Skilling kept the ship's condition a secret if they still had everything and you only had your nightgown on? And would you let them off if the captains said they think they did nothing wrong?...

Archived