Verdict reached in Lay/Skilling case!

I can't see why Ken Lay would want to go to jail if he could change his name to Kenny Screw and have a four-month headstart...
I bet if he changed it to Ken Starr, he could just fade into obscurity!

While thousands lost everything, Lay and Skilling did, too. Their crimes were not malicious, so much as desparate (and illegal) attempts to salvage a company that had largely grown on inflated claims, just like the internet companies. The difference was that they lied about the problems to try to save it, while the internet companies often merely collapsed.

They haven't lost everything. Lay still has his penthouse at the Huntington and his Aspen vacation homes, and Skilling has his River Oaks swankienda. There is a chance, though, that Lay's assets will be seized. We can only hope.

What they did was worse than lying and trying to salvage the company. They were behind those inflated claims, and they tolerated a climate of illegality in which people like Fastow flourished. They abused their responsibility to shareholders, lenders, and employees.

They haven't lost everything. Lay still has his penthouse at the Huntington and his Aspen vacation homes, and Skilling has his River Oaks swankienda. There is a chance, though, that Lay's assets will be seized. We can only hope.

THeir property will not be seized. Lay and Skilling are currently trying to sell their homes and get all the money they can for their property before there's any chance the government takes it.

THeir property will not be seized. Lay and Skilling are currently trying to sell their homes and get all the money they can for their property before there's any chance the government takes it.

If I'm not mistaken some of their assets were frozen pending settlement of civil suits, but I'm not sure of the details. Lay has sold off some of his house collection. Speaking of which,

Lays head for hills to flee chaos

TWO days after being convicted of conspiracy and fraud, former Enron Corp. Chairman Ken Lay left Houston for Aspen, Colo., a spokesman for his church said.

Colorado, where Lay owns property, is the only state outside the Southern District of Texas, which includes Houston, where he can go before his Sept. 11 sentencing hearing. Lay and three of his children pledged deeds to their homes for his $5 million bail.

Instead of attending the weekly service at First Methodist Church on Main, Lay and his wife, Linda, decided to take a mini-vacation, said Allen Houk, a church spokesman.

"He called (his pastor, Stephen) Wende and said that they were going to get away for a few days because it had been pretty hectic," Houk said.

At the time Enron cratered, the Lays owned at least four properties in Aspen. In early 2002, all were put on the market and at least two were sold quickly

If I'm not mistaken some of their assets were frozen pending settlement of civil suits, but I'm not sure of the details. Lay has sold off some of his house collection. Speaking of which,

Link

Yes, one can imagine how "hectic" it gets when you are found guilty on multiple counts.

As much as such a thing is possible, Skilling appears to have come out of this looking a little better than Lay. Skilling's response has seemed to be, "I'm innocent of the charges", not that he is a good person. On the other hand, Lay acts like "I'm innocent, because I am such a godly man, and God certainly isn't planning for me to go to the slammer", and then he goes off about his religion.

Just don't drop the soap, Mr. Lay. Might get himself a holy experience he didn't pray for. Or did he? (insert American Pie music here)

Archived