One Park Place: Multifamily At 1400 McKinney St.

GovernorAggie

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply
please note that is bobby finger, who runs finger furniture.

it is not marvy finger.

After doing a little google research, I found that Marvy runs Fingers Cos. which was founded in 1958. I guess they are unrelated from Fingers Furniture?

• 1 month later...
This thing will will probably have good lighting at night. Look at the top:

homepage_center.gif

I would like to hear my fellow Haifer's opinions on this project after having a few months for it to settle. I still love it--elegant, clean, and a classical design that never goes out of style.

How tall will this be compared to the buildings around it? Is it going to add to the skyline, or will it be hidden behind other buildings?

It should add a bit when looking from the southeast since there is nothing taller blocking it... only the park and the GRB will be in front of it.

How tall will this be compared to the buildings around it? Is it going to add to the skyline, or will it be hidden behind other buildings?

It is 501 feet tall, so it should make some impact. You won't see it anywhere, except from the Southeast, and South.

I would like to hear my fellow Haifer's opinions on this project after having a few months for it to settle. I still love it--elegant, clean, and a classical design that never goes out of style.

I think the top could have been simpler actually. Something like Museum Tower on Montrose could have still looked nice IMO at the 500 foot mark.

It reminds me of something you would see in NYC overlooking Central Park.
This is exactly why I don't care for it.

The nod to Central Park high rises is exactly what makes it so appealing. High rise condominiums built in the middle of shopping areas surrounded by cookie cutter strip centers has been done here a hundred times over. Stepping out of your building, crossing through the park, and walking to a baseball game or to restaurant for dinner is a welcome change. It offers a sense of community that's often lacking here.

There's certainly nothing wrong with emulating this;

CP1.jpg

CP2.jpg

CP3.jpg

The nod to Central Park high rises is exactly what makes it so appealing. High rise condominiums built in the middle of shopping areas surrounded by cookie cutter strip centers has been done here a hundred times over. Stepping out of your building, crossing through the park, and walking to a baseball game or to restaurant for dinner is a welcome change. It offers a sense of community that's often lacking here.

I don't think you quite understand what my criticism is about. It has nothing to do with building highrises near public amenities. That's entirely justifiable and when it is done, wherever it is done, nobody is saying that they're doing it just to emulate NYC...because it isn't an NYC style. That's what is done because it makes good sense.

My criticism is that the building's facade tries to emulate architecture on Central Park in NYC rather than be avant garde and cutting edge. There is a reason it is done, of course: a huge part of the highrise market in Houston is comprised of former NYC residents, and Finger wants to appeal to them. It is that simple. Someone asked my opinion; I don't care for it. But that shouldn't be surprising because it wasn't built to appeal to me.

I like it b/c not only does it remind me of buildings around Central Park or parks in other cities in the Northeast, where I am from, but it's also different from anything in Houston. I love how Houston is so modern and contemporary... but I like this residential tower next to the park because it's not... it's going to look like something from the early 20th century (at least the pictures make it seem like it's going to look like that). If it was being built in the Galleria I think it would look bad... but b/c it's being built Downtown next to the park I think it will look great!!

I like it b/c not only does it remind me of buildings around Central Park or parks in other cities in the Northeast, where I am from, but it's also different from anything in Houston. I love how Houston is so modern and contemporary... but I like this residential tower next to the park because it's not... it's going to look like something from the early 20th century (at least the pictures make it seem like it's going to look like that). If it was being built in the Galleria I think it would look bad... but b/c it's being built Downtown next to the park I think it will look great!!

Every time I see the rendering I think it should be in Dallas.

i still love this building because it (to me) is houston architecture. it reminds me a lot of the building on i-10 and the 610 loop. i dont know the name of it but it looks really similar to park place.

It is called the Forum. It is where old people go to die.

Apparently Marvy's evil plan is working.

All I can say is that it damned well better... :ph34r:

With all of the excitement surrounding the four proposed towers going up, I still think this is the most important project downtown. If vacancy rates end up being low for this, it will hopefully spur a couple more residential developments on the east side of DT or maybe even the block Hines has at Texas and Main. This will in turn drive up demand for all of the retail planned on this side of town, and then in the long run decrease the large bum population downtown. Then by 2020, we may have downtown be a legitimate destination point for both tourists and Houstonians.

Right now, though, I don't see the Pavilions staying open past business hours. I also don't see Disco Green as a place anyone would want to be at night (right now).

If this is successful, then downtown will reach the ultimate tipping point. If not, then we'll still have a long way to go. I'm optimistic.

Archived