Sugar Land Town Square Developents

UrbaNerd

Amici is now open! I haven't been but it looks really cool, it's got an uptown, hip look to it. The outer walls of windows that face Town Square open completely so that the whole restaurant is open to the outdoors. The tables are right on the sidewalk much like some of the restaurants on Jackson Square in New Orleans.

It looked really promising to us, too, with a great setting where it sits--kinda like the setting European cafes near public squares have. But then we ate there. Horrible. The mayor of Sugar Land was there, and he and a lot of other beautiful people seemed to be enjoying themselves, so maybe we both ordered the wrong things, but everything was bland and poorly-prepared, and service was far below what you would expect for half the price. A big let-down. I'll give them a little time to get through their first few months, then I may try it again.

• 4 months later...

Here is an updated list of the newcomers to SLTS. It seems that Mi Luna has slowed in its construction though all the signs are still up.

Now Open:

Amici (across from the Square and Marriott)

Johnny Rockets (across from Baker Street Pub)

Kiss Kiss (across from Baker Street Pub)

Learning Express (across from Baker Street Pub)

The Right Start (near Chipotle)

Sweet and Sassy (Libby Lu on steroids)

Tacone Flavor Grill (first floor of garage, across from future high-rise condo building)

Motherhood Maternity (near Sharper Image)

Coming Soon:

Dessert Gallery (near Chipotle)

Mi Luna (corner of garage near Town Center Blvd.)

Hemline of New Orleans (across from Baker Street Pub)

Jimmy Johns (next to Chipotle)

Just Add Water (next to Johnny Rockets)

Relax the Back (next to Jamba Juice)

Why is the Burning Pear having so much trouble? The wife and I went on Friday night at 7:00 pm, and it was COMPLETELY EMPTY! We parked on the top level of the parking garage, everything else was packed, and there was not one person in this restaurant. We've enjoyed it each time we've gone! I just don't get it. Good food at reasonable prices, huge portions, nice atmosphere.

What's the deal? Am I missing something?

• 4 weeks later...
I just stayed at a Hyatt place in the Chicago area last week and was pleasantly surprised. For the money, the suite was sweet. Don't know if it could be compared to the Marriott, but personally think that could be a good fit to the area.

Not that it matters; I like tall buildings, but this article did not mention a height. So with 500 rooms, which is more than the neighboring Marriot, does that mean it will be taller?

Edited by Pumapayam

Not that it matters; I like tall buildings, but this article did not mention a height. So with 500 rooms, which is more than the neighboring Marriot, does that mean it will be taller?

I'll speculate... The plot of land they mentioned appears to be smaller than the Marriott footprint so with more rooms I would guess that it would be taller.

The photos used for the exteriors of the 'standard' Hyatt Place hotels on the locations section of the brand's website appear to look like rehabbed AmeriSuites hotels for the most part. Not terribly inspiring... but hopefully there may be something a bit different if something like that brand were to emerge in Sugar Land.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

Interesting hearing about that office building as well. I recall seeing early plans of the site from maybe '00-'01 that seemed to feature a bit more office space (on the order of 3 6-10 story buildings IIRC) as part of the initial building process. Glad to see it's finally emerging around there.

• 1 month later...

UPDATED 6/26/2007:

Mi Luna is finally showing outward signs of construction. The outer walls, windows, doors, and signs are now up. The same is true of the Dessert Gallery.

Now Open:

Tacone Flavor Grill (first floor of garage, across from future high-rise condo building)

Coming Soon:

Strasburg Children

Christopher's Vintage Shave (between Tacone and Mi Luna)

• 1 month later...

UPDATED 8/1/2007:

It looks like a lot of the Coming Soon stores/restaurants are now opening. With the news of Minute Maid moving into Town Square, this development is really taking off. It's great to see an urban, pedestrian-friendly development work in the Houston Metro.

Now Open:

Coming Soon:

Strasburg Children

Christopher's Vintage Shave (between Tacone and Mi Luna)

Cigar Cigar (near Mi Luna)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was the planner of Sugar Land Town Square with a Team of professionals. We did travel and look at many prototypes, the oldest was in Kansas City, The Park(?), the oldest retail center in the US. Our goal given the limitations of the site, the market and the regulatory environment, zoning, was to develop a "center" for a community that up to then, had failed to produce one. Because we were developing about 1,000,000SF "at one time", we were concerned about the potential for visual monotony. The plaza, was intended to express the history of the region and the ethos of the community in a new urban expression. Yes, we used many urban design elements to achieve the environment produced and no dougbt some could have been done differently and perhaps better.

We were definitely trying to "be" anything other than the best we could be, so to speak. We were designing SLTS before the Woodlands Town Center was on the ground although we knew of its coming. Yes it is in a suburban, actually semi-urban context and not an urban context but the environment built is successfully functioning as an urban center and had there been more land available, a more extensive center would have been created.

These projects take enormous energy, talent and commitment, the later ingredient was provided by the then Sugarland Properties without which this site would have been developed as another suburban shopping center.

Best regards to all the HAIF Board

Amici is now open! I haven't been but it looks really cool, it's got an uptown, hip look to it. The outer walls of windows that face Town Square open completely so that the whole restaurant is open to the outdoors. The tables are right on the sidewalk much like some of the restaurants on Jackson Square in New Orleans.

Here is an updated list of openings:

Now Open:

Coming Soon:

Sweet and Sassy (spa)

How is sprawl ever smart growth? Sugar Land is a joke, and it will be Sharpstown sooner than you know. I mean, we think new cars always look good, the newest model years have the best lines. Well, look at the cars of fifteen years ago. Even if they're in the same shape as they were then, they don't look so hot now, do they? Like everything else, Sugar Land will suffer from our fickle tastes as Americans. It will go out of style, and something new will take its place.

Tell that to Uptown Houston.

I was the planner of Sugar Land Town Square with a Team of professionals. We did travel and look at many prototypes, the oldest was in Kansas City, The Park(?), the oldest retail center in the US. Our goal given the limitations of the site, the market and the regulatory environment, zoning, was to develop a "center" for a community that up to then, had failed to produce one. Because we were developing about 1,000,000SF "at one time", we were concerned about the potential for visual monotony. The plaza, was intended to express the history of the region and the ethos of the community in a new urban expression. Yes, we used many urban design elements to achieve the environment produced and no dougbt some could have been done differently and perhaps better.

We were definitely trying to "be" anything other than the best we could be, so to speak. We were designing SLTS before the Woodlands Town Center was on the ground although we knew of its coming. Yes it is in a suburban, actually semi-urban context and not an urban context but the environment built is successfully functioning as an urban center and had there been more land available, a more extensive center would have been created.

These projects take enormous energy, talent and commitment, the later ingredient was provided by the then Sugarland Properties without which this site would have been developed as another suburban shopping center.

Best regards to all the HAIF Board

That's very interesting, thanks for the insight. Welcome to HAIF!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I recall how long and drawn-out the effort to get the Sugar Land Town Square project was. There was a lot of hashing out of designs, abatements, etc. so it took a lot of perseverance to see it actually get off the ground.

The Town Center site was probably THE premier location for development in Sugar Land. I've been in SL since 1989 and assumed for a long time that would be the mall site. It deserved a top-notch project rather than just another strip center.

That said, I do have a number of criticisms of it, but mainly because it hasn't come anywhere near its potential yet. In particular, there's too much emphasis on very high-end retail and restaurants. Also, there really needs to be an entertainment venue, such as the IMAX theater that was part of one early proposal. I'd love to see a 3-D IMAX.

Also, there needs to be some thought put into making obvious pedestrian connections to the mall, La Madeleine (which would have been an ideal restaurant for Town Center, but is across the street) and other nearby places. I've walked these routes, and while you can do it, it's often rather awkward, especially to the new outdoor mall extension, when just a bit of sidewalk paving would help tremendously.

Also, there really needs to be an entertainment venue, such as the IMAX theater that was part of one early proposal. I'd love to see a 3-D IMAX.

Also, there needs to be some thought put into making obvious pedestrian connections to the mall, La Madeleine (which would have been an ideal restaurant for Town Center, but is across the street) and other nearby places. I've walked these routes, and while you can do it, it's often rather awkward, especially to the new outdoor mall extension, when just a bit of sidewalk paving would help tremendously.

I thought they were building a dinner theater like the Alamo Draft House? We need an "adult" theater in Sugar Land. I won't even attempt to go see a movie at the AMC theaters. Nothing but loud obnoxious teenagers that make it impossible to enjoy the movie.

• 2 months later...

There are a lot of new things going on at Sugar Land Town Square! Plus the final office building that will house Minute Maid is nearing completion.

Now Open:

Olives Martini Bar and Grill (between Cigar Cigar and Tacone)

Vintage shave (between Mi Luna and Vintage Shave)

Cigar Cigar (between Vintage Shave and Olives)

Jimmy John's (next to Chipotle)

Coming Soon:

Escalante's (in the high profile corner spot across from Cafe Express)

Fuzziwig's Candy Factory (between Jimmy John's and Sweet and Sassy)

Strasburg Children (next to Hemline)

..there needs to be some thought put into making obvious pedestrian connections to the mall, La Madeleine (which would have been an ideal restaurant for Town Center, but is across the street) and other nearby places. I've walked these routes, and while you can do it, it's often rather awkward, especially to the new outdoor mall extension, when just a bit of sidewalk paving would help tremendously.

I agree completely, I think with a little creativity both the Town Center, Town Square and the Mall's outdoor forum could be seamlessly joined with more residential over commerical structures, and all served by a new parking garage in the Town Center parking lot.

I thought they were building a dinner theater like the Alamo Draft House? We need an "adult" theater in Sugar Land. I won't even attempt to go see a movie at the AMC theaters. Nothing but loud obnoxious teenagers that make it impossible to enjoy the movie.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like Sugar Land Town Square but I do wish they would remove the parking in front of the restaurants and other retail down the main street in the middle. It would be a much friendlier vibe if that area was limited to pedestrians and all parking was limited to the garages. Otherwise, people will bring traffic to a dead stop and wait 10 minutes if they think someone is vacating a parking space. And then all the cars behind them are trapped until they finally park. It creates quite the mess.

• 4 weeks later...

3 new restaurants opening in Sugar Land Town Square.

Now Open:

Escalante (corner unit across from Cafe Express)

Swirll (next to Escalante)

Coming Soon:

Taisho (first floor of Minute Maid headquarters)

Charming Charlie (old Bombay location)

Facelogic (first floor of Minute Maid headquarters)

I W Marks Jewelers (on the square)

Loggia.food.sports.music (next to Tacone Flavor Grill)