Bridge From I-45 To Galveston Airport?

I noticed that HGAC's 2025 plan shows an Airport Rd. running from Jones Dr. around Moody Gardens/the airport to Harborside Dr. at I-45, but doesn't show a timeline for the project. Is this road and bridge still planned or even funded? With 61st swamped and all the planned west end growth it would seem this road is a no-brainer, but a quick Google search didn't find anything.

HGAC also shows a new road proposed from the mainland to the island west of I-45, but that would have to be a high bridge and it would seem much harder to justify the cost for it.

Anyone know if either of these projects is actually likely to happen?

I noticed that HGAC's 2025 plan shows an Airport Rd. running from Jones Dr. around Moody Gardens/the airport to Harborside Dr. at I-45, but doesn't show a timeline for the project. Is this road and bridge still planned or even funded? With 61st swamped and all the planned west end growth it would seem this road is a no-brainer, but a quick Google search didn't find anything.

HGAC also shows a new road proposed from the mainland to the island west of I-45, but that would have to be a high bridge and it would seem much harder to justify the cost for it.

I can tell you this much: the West End Causeway has been on the books since 1971, and has gone nowhere. I suspect that the need for it to cross over so many miles of wetlands would doom the project, even if traffic studies justified demand for such a facility. The old freeway plans show the West Bay Freeway paralleling SH 6 and intersecting with Alvin's SH 35 bypass about a mile south of SH 6.

Somehow, I suspect that IF it were built today, such a facility would be built more to the west, coming onto the island just west of Jamaica Beach and running northwest to intersect with SH 35, just south of Alvin; it would theoretically take advantage of the future Alvin Freeway and the future Grand Parkway alignment, providing the easiest route to bypass the congestion on I-45 for someone coming in from Sugar Land or points west.

I can tell you this much: the West End Causeway has been on the books since 1971, and has gone nowhere. I suspect that the need for it to cross over so many miles of wetlands would doom the project, even if traffic studies justified demand for such a facility. The old freeway plans show the West Bay Freeway paralleling SH 6 and intersecting with Alvin's SH 35 bypass about a mile south of SH 6.

Somehow, I suspect that IF it were built today, such a facility would be built more to the west, coming onto the island just west of Jamaica Beach and running northwest to intersect with SH 35, just south of Alvin; it would theoretically take advantage of the future Alvin Freeway and the future Grand Parkway alignment, providing the easiest route to bypass the congestion on I-45 for someone coming in from Sugar Land or points west.

Sorry for not being clear, the road west of I-45 that HGAC shows actually intersects I-45 right where I-45 hits the mainland (Virginia Point) and hits the island not very far west of the airport. Probably would tie into the eventual 146 Fwy and Hwy 6 where they end at I-45.

Frankly I don't think the second road is needed or wise, as there probably is already too much development on the most vulnerable part of Texas. Same for that stupid bridge to Port Bolivar (though if it could be 100% built and paid for by tolls that would mitigate the damage slightly.) But if replicating New Orleans' folly and the inevitable taxpayer bailout isn't a concern, then yes, an extension of the future Alvin Fwy is a logical route for improving access.

But I think we can all agree that there needs to be a road to shortcut from I-45 to the airport area once on the island, just to meet current demand.

Thanks for the replies.

Sorry for not being clear, the road west of I-45 that HGAC shows actually intersects I-45 right where I-45 hits the mainland (Virginia Point) and hits the island not very far west of the airport. Probably would tie into the eventual 146 Fwy and Hwy 6 where they end at I-45.

Frankly I don't think the second road is needed or wise, as there probably is already too much development on the most vulnerable part of Texas. Same for that stupid bridge to Port Bolivar (though if it could be 100% built and paid for by tolls that would mitigate the damage slightly.) But if replicating New Orleans' folly and the inevitable taxpayer bailout isn't a concern, then yes, an extension of the future Alvin Fwy is a logical route for improving access.

But I think we can all agree that there needs to be a road to shortcut from I-45 to the airport area once on the island, just to meet current demand.

Thanks for the replies.

Wow, that route is incredibly inefficient and fiscally wasteful.

Galveston is far from the most vulnerable part of Texas...there are a number of places with development in more precarious positions. San Leon comes to mind--all it takes is a Tropical Storm to cause flooding. For that matter, Bolivar, Seabrook, Kemah, Port Aranasas, and South Padre all seem to be more vulnurable than Galveston.

Galveston is far from the most vulnerable part of Texas...there are a number of places with development in more precarious positions. San Leon comes to mind--all it takes is a Tropical Storm to cause flooding. For that matter, Bolivar, Seabrook, Kemah, Port Aranasas, and South Padre all seem to be more vulnurable than Galveston.

Hurricane evacuation maps for Houston area counties based on levels of vulnerability (hurricane categories 1-5):

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/hgx/tropical/evac_map/gifs/

Galveston County:

galveston.gif

Note how most of the island is in the lowest cat. 1 zone (meaning just a cat. 1 hurricane could potentially cause a storm surge large enough to endanger life in those areas), all of the island is in cat. 2. Can't really get more vulnerable than a cat. 1 zone.

Frankly we shouldn't be subsidizing development (through gov't flood insurance) in any zone vulnerable to a Cat. 3 or less hurricane (and really up to cat. 5.) Too many other good areas available around here.

EDIT: I'd suggest googling to find the aerial photos NASA put up covering the MS gulf coast after Katrina. Compare those photos to the topographical maps, and you'll find that from the LA border east to past Gulfport, virtually every home sited below about 15' in elevation was destroyed. So were some of the homes above 15', but more to most of those at least still had their roof or walls intact (no real way to assess the waterlogging damage from the pictures. Surge was over 30' in some places.) And remember, Katrina was just a borderline cat. 3/4 storm when it hit, after weakening as it neared landfall. How many homes are above 15' in Galvestion? Pilings help, but many pile homes were also wiped out (check out the pics from Cameron, LA after Rita.)

To be clear, I agree completely that we shouldn't be subsizing housing in hurricane-prone areas...in fact, I am of the belief that we shouldn't be subsidizing any housing in any way shape or form. The NFIP should be dismembered, as should a number of other programs. Still, there are far more vulnerable places than Galveston, TX.

• 6 months later...
Wow, that route is incredibly inefficient and fiscally wasteful.

There was a private group several years back (15 or so) that wanted to build a road from Galveston through Alvin and Pearland. I think it was called the GAP corridor. It went bust. There was also a Galveston County bond election several years ago (10 maybe) that defeated the bridge from Teichman Rd. to a point west of the airport. This election, or the one right after it, also defeated a grade seperated interchange at 61st st. and 1-45. So there....it is.

The election defeat was attributed to the mainland vs island fued that has been going on for generations.

• 1 month later...

Wow! I didn't know that Galveston had an airport.

The airport completed a renovation last year with a new tower which would allow larger aircraft. For example, AirForce II landed at the Galveston airport last fall when a new submarine was christened by the First Lady - previously, this aircraft would have landed at Ellington Field. Could this allow for some commercial commuter aircraft???? Perhaps!

One thing that seems viable is connecting 69th street/Steward on the south part of the bay to 71st street in the north. 69th would be the best choice because as it connects to Steward it is the longest running street in that direction in the area. Give 71st an on-ramp to I-45 and then widen 69th/Steward if you have to. Also, 69th is currently one way, make it two way. I don't know how bad the traffic is over there but this is an alternative option if we want to bridge that bay.

One thing that seems viable is connecting 69th street/Steward on the south part of the bay to 71st street in the north. 69th would be the best choice because as it connects to Steward it is the longest running street in that direction in the area. Give 71st an on-ramp to I-45 and then widen 69th/Steward if you have to. Also, 69th is currently one way, make it two way. I don't know how bad the traffic is over there but this is an alternative option if we want to bridge that bay.

Like I said earlier, this proposal was defeated in a Galveston County bond election several years ago. HGAC controls all the TXDOT money for this area, so the only way Galveston County can get road and bridge projects moved up the list is to have a bond election and fund a portion of the project itself.

The bridge would have crossed Offats Bayou at the Teichman Rd. exit form 1-45 and connect with San Luis Pass Rd. out near 108th St. It ain't guna happen now.

• The title was changed to Bridge From I-45 To Galveston Airport?

Archived