Mexico set to decriminalize pot, cocaine

sevfiv

"The object of this law is to not put consumers in jail, but rather those who sell and poison," said Sen. Jorge Zermeno of the ruling National Action Party.

I'm all for it. Although, I understand this will increase the capacity to catch the dealers, but on the same hand, wouldn't this just increase the dealer's market?

I'm all for it. Although, I understand this will increase the capacity to catch the dealers, but on the same hand, wouldn't this just increase the dealer's market?

Your question is, are people going to start smoking weed just because it's legal?

I don't think they will...I think those who want to smoke dope already do so, regardless of its legal status.

IMO, it will decrease the amount of resources spent on your average joe who has no ill will towards others and wants to get a buzz. it remains to be seen if it will increase public intoxication rates. spring break and vacationing in mexico will take on a whole new meaning. B)

Your question is, are people going to start smoking weed just because it's legal?

I don't think they will...I think those who want to smoke dope already do so, regardless of its legal status.

I agree. I mean, I don't use cocaine. I'm not going to start carrying around a few milligrams of it just because I can. :P

I agree with Sanders--this is going to make much more trouble for the U.S.--all the more reason to seal our border to Mexico.

"The object of this law is to not put consumers in jail, but rather those who sell and poison," said Sen. Jorge Zermeno of the ruling National Action Party.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard! It makes no sense! Where does Senator Zermeno think "consumers" are going to be getting this stuff from? America? Not if it's as cheap as it's about to be in Mexico! Love the logic there...

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard! It makes no sense! Where does Senator Zermeno think "consumers" are going to be getting this stuff from? America? Not if it's as cheap as it's about to be in Mexico! Love the logic there...

You really don't think before you speak do you? I'll essssssplain it to you Lucy: Legalized drugs simply mean that law enforcement can focus on dealers & not buyers.

Excuse me? :blink: Yeah, uh...I most certainly think before I speak. This sounds like more of a problem on your part. Apparently you can't read. :rolleyes: We are talking about Mexican criminals here--like they give a rat's ass about this! It doesn't affect them in the least. They are already breaking the law--decriminalizing small amounts of pot and coke isn't going to change that at all. All this is going to do is send people from the US down to buy drugs to sell here on our soil. If you're so smart, Ricky :P , why don't you tell me how decriminalizing pot and coke is going to make any difference at all in their crackdowns?

All this is going to do is send people from the US down to buy drugs to sell here on our soil.

Oh, no! I hope that doesn't start happening! This is such a nice little country. If people start going to Mexico to get drugs to sell here, it will ruin EVERYTHING! :o

Oh, no! I hope that doesn't start happening! This is such a nice little country. If people start going to Mexico to get drugs to sell here, it will ruin EVERYTHING! :o

That sarcasm is sooooo thick, I need a chainsaw ! :lol:

If you're so smart, Ricky :P , why don't you tell me how decriminalizing pot and coke is going to make any difference at all in their crackdowns?
Because now instead of wasting time, manpower, & money to run stings to catch buyers (by posing as sellers) they can focus ALL their time, manpower, & money strictly on the sellers.

By legalizing the posession of drugs you eliminate over half of the criminal element you were pursuing.

Who wants to bet that this will lead to the de-criminalization of these drugs (at least marijuana) in this country w/in the next 5 - 10 years? Now that our neighbors to the North and South have de-criminalized posession to a certain degree, we'll be squeezed into doing the same.

Red...not really your best material. ;)

Jeebus, the people who have 5 or 10 grams of pot in their pocket are not really the "criminal" element. Oh, whoopie, they passed a law that actually enables their cops to sit on their ass and not arrest anyone smoking a bowl...how is that different from before? Words on paper, my friend. The real problem is, and has always been, the big-time dealers. Since they're paying off the government, they won't get touched. This is horsecrap that, like 713 mentioned, will most likely bring about forced compliance in this country, and you know what that will say about us? That we're a bunch of pu*sies in this country.

Oh wait--we already say that.

Red...not really your best material. ;)

Jeebus, the people who have 5 or 10 grams of pot in their pocket are not really the "criminal" element. Oh, whoopie, they passed a law that actually enables their cops to sit on their ass and not arrest anyone smoking a bowl...how is that different from before? Words on paper, my friend. The real problem is, and has always been, the big-time dealers. Since they're paying off the government, they won't get touched. This is horsecrap that, like 713 mentioned, will most likely bring about forced compliance in this country, and you know what that will say about us? That we're a bunch of pu*sies in this country.

Oh wait--we already say that.

Yes, after the Nazi/Governor post, I kind of had a letdown. :P

Actually, though the Mexican government does not publicize it, part of the reason for legalization is to fight corruption. Mexico's cops are well known for shaking down small time users for cash. By legalizing small amounts, the cops lose the ability for shakedowns. By not wasting time on the large number of consumers, they will also have more manpower for the dealers. That would also apply in this country. Our cops waste more time on miniscule amounts of dope than any other "crime". We waste massive amounts of jail space on them also. Legalization would conserve resources and lower violent crime committed by dealers, as well as users who need money for dope.

Maybe we could even use the money we save to protect the borders. :o

Guest danax
Who wants to bet that this will lead to the de-criminalization of these drugs (at least marijuana) in this country w/in the next 5 - 10 years? Now that our neighbors to the North and South have de-criminalized posession to a certain degree, we'll be squeezed into doing the same.

I applaud the Mexicans if this is truly a noble experiment. It will be interesting to see if this creates more addicts or not. No one has really experimented with the decriminalization of hard drugs before, so Mexico will be the world's guinea pig (guinea puerco). California had pot possession of less than an oz. a ticketable offense in the 70s and I don't remember there being any difference as to who smoked and who didn't.

I had the thought that this would soften the market for those drugs in Mexico and so force more into the US, but that might not be the case. The growers and dealers would still have to operate illegally so their risk factor and overhead would be the same, and the demand would too.

This is horsecrap that, like 713 mentioned, will most likely bring about forced compliance in this country, and you know what that will say about us? That we're a bunch of pu*sies in this country.

So if America finally comes to its senses and legalizes pot, you think the world will look at us like a bunch of pansies? How warped is that line of thought?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4971416.stm

President Vicente Fox has returned the measure to Congress, saying it should make clear that possessing and using drugs will remain a criminal offence.

Mr Fox has been accused in the Mexican media of bowing to US pressure.

US officials had voiced concern that more lenient policies in Mexico could lead to a wave of drugs-related tourism across the border.

Archived