Life Outside The Loop: The True Cost

Barre

I'll be relocating to Houston next month - employer pays for temporary housing (up to 60 days) and closing costs, so I am looking for a place that can be ready from April-June.

All I know and love about the city is inside the loop - but now, since all my friends have fled to Pearland, Sugar Land, etc. they are encouraging me to look outward.

With a little arm-twisting I went out to look at some of the master planned communities yesterday - very affordable; but when I figure in all my meetings and after hours events in the medical center, galleria area, and downtown, this starts to seem more like "car living" instead of "country living."

Is there any hope for folks like me that need to find housing that provides a balance of affordablility and access to the office and social events?

For those that have given up on "city life" - has your dollar value versus opportunity cost held up so far?

Edited by Barre

With a little arm-twisting I went out to look at some of the master planned communities yesterday - very affordable; but when I figure in all my meetings and after hours events in the medical center, galleria area, and downtown, this starts to seem more like "car living" instead of "country living."

Is there any hope for folks like me that need to find housing that provides a balance of affordablility and access to the office and social events?

For those that have given up on "city life" - has your dollar value versus opportunity cost held up so far?

I think Sugar Land would give you the quickest access into town. 288 in and out of Pearland in a crawl. 59 in and out of Sugar Land has its faults too, but if mastered can be far easier to navigate in and around during peak hours.

I like just west of highway 6 along 1093, yet things like my mechanic, doctor, dentist, job, etc. are all around the Galleria around. I do spend about 1 hour daily in round-trip commutes but it just becomes part of life. You'll be surprised how "not as miserable as you thought you'd be" once you move out there and get setup. Sugar Land has all the ammenities you'd need to keep you from having to travel into the city anyway - unless its for business or a specific pleasure.

And to answer your question: Yes, my cost of suburban living has held up to the sacrifice of urban living.

Good Luck either way, and welcome to Houston.

What do you consider affordable? Is it important to you to be zoned to good public schools?
Looking for something in the 150-200k range... single with no kids - so schools are only important when when it comes to resale value, I suppose.
it depends on where you work and will be spending free time - and if you really enjoy life in your car :unsure:
My office is in the medical center but I'll have to venture out for lunch meetings and such (all areas inside the loop) - as a former consultant, I can say that I enjoy being in my car about as much as I enjoy coach class these days!

Thanks to all for such quick replies and the warm welcome - I'll be using this thread to seek additional guidance over the next couple of months as well as keeping you guys "in the loop" ;)

Edited by Barre

Looking for something in the 150-200k range... single with no kids - so schools are only important when when it comes to resale value, I suppose.

My office is in the medical center but I'll have to venture out for lunch meetings and such (all areas inside the loop) - as a former consultant, I can say that I enjoy being in my car about as much as I enjoy coach class these days!

I would recommend going to Har.com, putting in your price range, and checking out zip codes 77003 (primarily townhomes and lofts), 77023 (single family bungalows), 77035/77096 (mid-century ranches). Your price range should get you something nice (or at least something with potential) in each of these area codes. I have owned in each of these areas and enjoyed them all.

Should you end up checking out new(-ish) construction or specific neighborhoods, do a search here for the homebuilder/area. Lots of discussions on HAIF!

I think Sugar Land would give you the quickest access into town. 288 in and out of Pearland in a crawl. 59 in and out of Sugar Land has its faults too, but if mastered can be far easier to navigate in and around during peak hours.

I don't know too much about either of these commutes but I know that the KTRH 740 traffic report during rush hour almost never mentions 288. When they do, they say 20 minutes from downtown to B8. That's about a 10 mile drive (from 59/45 to 288/B8) so when it's bad enough to mention, you'd be going about 30 mph. But like I said, I've never done the downtown commute on either of these roads so it's not first person experience.

But being single and working in the medical center, you're extremely flexible in where you can live, no matter what the price range.

The other thing to think about is light rail. If you can get something farther away from Downtown but still near the rail line it will save you money and make life much easier. Especially if you end up working downtown, then going to meetings and such in the Medical Center.

Look at Westbury or Willowbend. Just outside the loop, close to the medical center, and in your price range. As for the schools: we're zoned to good elementary and middle schools. Our property values would be probably be higher if we were also zoned to Bellaire HS (instead of Westbury), but HISD has open enrollment (transfer and magnet programs) and lots of people in the area send their kids to private schools.

I agree with the Willowbend idea. I'm in the neighborhood at least twice a week and it's perfect for your criteria. They have some great homes that are perfect for someone single and most of them are in the 135,000 to 200,000 range. Also, your commute to the Med Center would be a breeze.

According to the historical traffic data at http://www.houstontranstar.org/, 288 is a quicker drive to downtown than the Southwest Freeway, at approximately the same average speed.

Here is a comparison, using the worst departure time (7:30 am):

US 59 (Wilcrest to 610 - 8.3 miles) - 11 minutes, 59 seconds; avg speed = 41.6 mph

US 59 (610 to Downtown - 7.4 miles) - 12 minutes, 45 seconds; avg speed = 34.8 mph

Total travel = 15.7 miles in 24 minutes, 44 seconds; avg speed = 38.1 mph

SH 288 (BW 8 to 610 - 6 miles) - 10 minutes, 30 seconds; avg speed = 34.3 mph

SH 288 (610 to Downtown - 3.3 miles) - 4 minutes, 46 seconds; avg speed = 41.5 mph

Total travel = 9.3 miles in 15 minutes, 16 seconds; avg speed = 36.6 mph

Now that's what the historical data says...for some reason those don't sound right. I drive outbound on 59 every morning, and the couple miles of 5-lane wide gridlock doesn't look like it's traveling 35 mph.

Of course, the inbound 59 traffic should be alleviated in the next year or so with the completion of ongoing construction. 288 on the other hand........it may soon be the next 290! :(

Stepping aside from the traffic concerns, if you're looking in the 150k - 200k range, and you seem to enjoy life inside the Loop, why not look into townhomes/condos inside the Loop?

I'm certain you can get a Midtown townhome in that range, and a Med Center condo for probably half that.

if you're looking in the 150k - 200k range, and you seem to enjoy life inside the Loop, why not look into townhomes/condos inside the Loop?...I'm certain you can get a Midtown townhome in that range, and a Med Center condo for probably half that.
This is exactly what I've started to think since my OP. I was fighting the pull against anything that "felt like an apartment" but don't anticipate being in this place for more than 5 or so years.... so, townhomes in Midtown and the med center are not out of the question... though places in the med center are a little older and apartment-like, I don't suppose I'd have much trouble renting to a student in the future, eh?

This is exactly what I've started to think since my OP. I was fighting the pull against anything that "felt like an apartment" but don't anticipate being in this place for more than 5 or so years.... so, townhomes in Midtown and the med center are not out of the question... though places in the med center are a little older and apartment-like, I don't suppose I'd have much trouble renting to a student in the future, eh?

If you are thinking of buying and selling w/in 5 years, then you need to be extra careful where and what you buy. If you buy a townhome in an area that is destined to become nothing but townhomes, then you run the risk of trying of not having much pricing power due to all the new construction in the area. In this case, you might think about something in a more established area, where your place stands out a bit more. In this case, Willowbend/Westbury seems like a better idea than Midtown. Unless you happen to get a great deal on a townhome and so can be more price-competitive in 5 years.

Oh, and there has been a rash of apartment-to-condo conversions in the past couple of years, and that is probably what you are looking at in the Med Center (if they look like apartments, it is because they were!). I am not sure we have discussed their resale here, but in general I don't think there is any resale upside to those. They are relatively inexpensive to get into, but they are probably destined to become rentals again in 5 years when the owners move out and rent them.

If you are thinking of buying and selling w/in 5 years...you might think about something in a more established area...Willowbend/Westbury seems like a better idea than Midtown.
Thanks so much to you and TorchLight for the Willowbend/Westbury suggestion - which zip codes should I be searching? Edited by Barre

77035 (Willowbend/Westbury) and 77096 (Westbury, ParkWest, Maplewood...)

On the high side is Timbergrove in 77008, near the Heights. With both areas, be aware that flooding may or may not be a concern. Granted, Hurricane Allison flooded areas that normally wouldn't flood, but some streets have always been flood prone and so flood insurance, IMO, is necessary anywhere in these areas.

example:

http://www.har.com/search/engine/indexdeta...=0&backButton=Y

On the high side is Timbergrove in 77008, near the Heights. With both areas, be aware that flooding may or may not be a concern. Granted, Hurricane Allison flooded areas that normally wouldn't flood, but some streets have always been flood prone and so flood insurance, IMO, is necessary anywhere in these areas.

example:

http://www.har.com/search/engine/indexdeta...=0&backButton=Y

I believe the only parts of the Heights that flooded during Allison were only the areas along the 1-10 corridor. Am I wrong?

I believe the only parts of the Heights that flooded during Allison were only the areas along the 1-10 corridor. Am I wrong?

Yep, homes flooded all along the White Oak bayou watershed from buffalo bayou to the NW city limits and beyond, including the parts of Timbergrove and Shady Acres that are in it's 100 year flood plain.

Yep, homes flooded all along the White Oak bayou watershed from buffalo bayou to the NW city limits and beyond, including the parts of Timbergrove and Shady Acres that are in it's 100 year flood plain.

Yes, but the WOBayou watershed only runs along the 1-10 corridor in the Heights. Didn't the flooding stop right at the "WELCOME TO THE HOUSTON HEIGHTS SIGN" on Heights Blvd. and the 1-10 feeder?

Sorry west20th, you're absolutely right, though I don't believe the welcome sign is actually yelling. Was following along with travelguy who originally said near the Heights and didn't notice that you said the Heights itself which is of courrse one or two streets over from Timbergrove and Shady Acres. I myself didn't say the Heights either but along the White Oak Bayou watershed even though the Heights, incidently, does technically fall within the WO Bayou watershed according to the TSARP map.

Sorry west20th, you're absolutely right, though I don't believe the welcome sign is actually yelling.

It was yelling at me and it needs to stop I tell you.......I can't hear the voices when I drive by that sign! :wacko:

Edited by west20th

• 1 month later...

Okay all - I started my new job last week (finally) - and I'm actually living out of my suitcase in a not-so-fancy hotel here on the Southwest side. Needless to say, I have not found a house yet... but I am more averse than ever to the daily commute in to work after driving in last week. I'm starting to think I may have to rent for 6-12 months until I get more familiar with the market.

I looked at Westbury, Meyerland, and Willowbend over the weekend - all seemed within my price range well within a reasonable distance to the office. I am going to meet with an RE investor/friend of mine for lunch this week to pick his brain; I hope to have another update by the weekend...

You may also want to look at Oak Forest and Garden Oaks: 77018; the Heights: 77008 and Sunset Heights: 77008 and 77009. Virtually no home flooding with Allison and close in enough that no freeway travel is required to get to Downtown or TMC.

B)

considering the topic, this article is rather timely.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12438812/site/newsweek/

basically it tells of the lengths people are willing to go through for a better living standard. or at least their definition of what it should be.

I have lived near jersey village and commuted to the galleria and i HATED it.

You may also want to look at Oak Forest and Garden Oaks: 77018; the Heights: 77008 and Sunset Heights: 77008 and 77009. Virtually no home flooding with Allison and close in enough that no freeway travel is required to get to Downtown or TMC.

B)

i have quite a few relatives in Oak Forest and at least 3 got water in their homes.

just buy a condo. i have a friend from ny who's buying a condo at 5000 montrose in order to have a place to stay when in town. they will eventually buy something more substantial later. there are places ready to move in all over town. hotel, schmotel.

oh, and welcome to town! :)

I'll be relocating to Houston next month - employer pays for temporary housing (up to 60 days) and closing costs, so I am looking for a place that can be ready from April-June.

barre, out of curiosity --- are you from wilkes barre?

Welcome to Houston and HAIF, Barre. As you can see, you won't be starving for options - or advice.

If apartment-style living is acceptable, you can find places even within Montrose - several older complexes have gone condo.

If light rail is preferable, there are new developments going up near the northern terminus (near U of H downtown) which are affordable and will almost certainly appreciate over the next five years. Nearby retail isn't great right now, but the new Target center should change that very soon. And if you like funky/ethnic, there's plenty to be found there.

IMO safety is not as much a consideration as it once was. Houston has crime, but it's pretty evenly distributed (outside of a few 'hot spots'). A modicum of street smarts should serve you well.

Be sure to inquire about parking, both for yourself and guests. It's becoming more and more of an issue.