Port of Dallas Developments

I dont know if anyone else noticed this very clever inuendo by this dallas author, but the phrase "and possibly other ocean ports as well", attempts to downplay the fact that the port of houston is the main player here. Further, the article depicts ocean vessels entering the port of houston, where the containers are then "SHOT TO DALLAS". Thiese 3 words were carefully chosen by the author, because they imply that "as soon as" the ships are unloaded at houston's port, they are immediately taken away, as if to say, they have liitle buisiness here and are instead instantly, well, "shot", to DALLAS. Where "ALL" the action will take place.

The word "shot" carries alot of weight here, and it distills the essence of what the dallas marketering engine is trying to paint as this so called Port of Dallas.

It's so clear, isnt it....

I'm also starting to think you've got some real issues to deal with , 2112.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm also starting to think you've got some real issues to deal with , 2112.

Well, my mistake is not realizing that 2112 wants to keep this conversation at a "5th grade" level. Hell, why am I slaving away in an MBA/Logistics and Supply Chain Management program when I can just ask a 5th grader what a port is?

Trying to have an intelligent conversation with these Houston posters is about as enlightening as asking Beavis and Butthead about sperm whales.

Well, my mistake is not realizing that 2112 wants to keep this conversation at a "5th grade" level. Hell, why am I slaving away in an MBA/Logistics and Supply Chain Management program when I can just ask a 5th grader what a port is?

Trying to have an intelligent conversation with these Houston posters is about as enlightening as asking Beavis and Butthead about sperm whales.

Dallasites really is plastic and thinks they are above everyone else.

keep pushing the subject down our throats.

???? That has to be one of the more bizarre statements I've ever seen on this forum. Who exactly is forcing you to place your cursor on the words "Port of Dallas" and then click?

The whole point of the thread was to make a little fun of Dallas boosters who take themselves a bit too seriously, and 5 pages later, you guys continue reinforcing the joke.

Dallasites really is plastic and thinks they are above everyone else.

Keep Dallas plastic!

Anyway, I stand by my statement, as far as this thread is concerned. Prove me wrong; show me the posts where any Houstonite added something substantive, factual or informative, or in any way elevated this thread above its Dallas-bashing roots.

I'll wait...

???? That has to be one of the more bizarre statements I've ever seen on this forum. Who exactly is forcing you to place your cursor on the words "Port of Dallas" and then click?

The whole point of the thread was to make a little fun of Dallas boosters who take themselves a bit too seriously, and 5 pages later, you guys continue reinforcing the joke.

:D Gawd this thread IS 5 pages long. :D The "who has more upscale shopping" thread didn't even get that long. "Port of Dallas", why does the Jamaican bobsled team keep coming to mind when I see this thread?

See, I read a thread titled "Port of Dallas" and thinking it is going to be informative and enlightening, I clicked the link. Silly me, I didn't know it was supposed to be a display of logistics stupidity.

No, you can't stand it when some of us try to have an informative conversation about the port, so you and others butt in and start babbling.

I have to ask, why do you need to make fun of Dallas? Do you feel better after starting such a thread?

I didn

See, I read a thread titled "Port of Dallas" and thinking it is going to be informative and enlightening, I clicked the link. Silly me, I didn't know it was supposed to be a display of logistics stupidity.

No, you can't stand it when some of us try to have an informative conversation about the port, so you and others butt in and start babbling.

I have to ask, why do you need to make fun of Dallas? Do you feel better after starting such a thread?

I didn

And after coming to the thread and seeing that, from the initial post, it was a light-hearted fun-poking thread, never intended to be an informative conversation, you can't stop yourself from repeatedly returning? Again, don't take yourself so friggin' seriously. Take a deep breath. And then if you still feel compelled to write all you know about logistics, start your own thread.

Probably good advice from a HAIF veteran.

:D Gawd this thread IS 5 pages long. :D The "who has more upscale shopping" thread didn't even get that long. "Port of Dallas", why does the Jamaican bobsled team keep coming to mind when I see this thread?

I know this is slightly off topic, but the last time i checked, the Houston VS Dallas Shopping thread is 6 pages long while this one is 5. I'd say the Houston VS Dallas Shopping thread is still probably the largest thread on the Dallas Subforum and one of the biggest threads on HAIF. Not to nitpick, but i just had to point that out. This thread is getting big though!

:blush:

All my hopes and dreams for this thread have come true. It's all I ever thought it would be, and then some.

;)

Keep Dallas plastic!

Anyway, I stand by my statement, as far as this thread is concerned. Prove me wrong; show me the posts where any Houstonite added something substantive, factual or informative, or in any way elevated this thread above its Dallas-bashing roots.

I'll wait...

I don't have any facts to give you other than we are called Houstonians, not "Houstonites". <_<

• 4 years later...

The Port of Dallas idea bombed because most freight rail shipment stop making sense at distances of less than 400 miles. Houston is just too close. Contrary to what this article says, freight rail will likely suffer from the widening of the Panama Canal. Trucking companies are the big winners, but they also diminish the need for a centralized industrial park setting.

The Port of Dallas idea bombed because most freight rail shipment stop making sense at distances of less than 400 miles. Houston is just too close. Contrary to what this article says, freight rail will likely suffer from the widening of the Panama Canal. Trucking companies are the big winners, but they also diminish the need for a centralized industrial park setting.

I disagree that rail will suffer from the widening of the canal, if anything, it will increase traffic and maybe lessen the problems along certain corridors.

Watching an article on the topic, I wonder where the "new rail lines" are located at.

I disagree that rail will suffer from the widening of the canal, if anything, it will increase traffic and maybe lessen the problems along certain corridors.

While it is true that a more balanced flow of freight traffic will lend itself to greater systemwide efficiency, it does seem that the greater benefit would be to short- and mid-haul truckers active in population centers along and near the eastern and gulf coasts. And after all, there is only so much cargo. The taking market share away from rail companies cannot be good for the rail companies.

While it is true that a more balanced flow of freight traffic will lend itself to greater systemwide efficiency, it does seem that the greater benefit would be to short- and mid-haul truckers active in population centers along and near the eastern and gulf coasts. And after all, there is only so much cargo. The taking market share away from rail companies cannot be good for the rail companies.

It will depend greatly on how fuel costs go, along with the time/money factor on how timely/important the cargo is. Someone might want to have something directly trucked from the Port of Houston (or LA) and drive it straight to Chicago instead of having to wait on a train. It's all a matter of the economics of the individual cargo.

Additionally, I know first hand that during the good times, rail traffic was almost gridlocked (92-98), it was only after the economy started to go a bit downhill when less cargo was being shipped and the rail traffic congestion eased.

It will depend greatly on how fuel costs go, along with the time/money factor on how timely/important the cargo is. Someone might want to have something directly trucked from the Port of Houston (or LA) and drive it straight to Chicago instead of having to wait on a train. It's all a matter of the economics of the individual cargo.

Additionally, I know first hand that during the good times, rail traffic was almost gridlocked (92-98), it was only after the economy started to go a bit downhill when less cargo was being shipped and the rail traffic congestion eased.

Yeah, well no ____. None of what you've mentioned is going to affect or be affected by how shipping through the Panama Canal interacts with freight rail carriers. Some cargo even travels by air, but similarly, that sort of cargo is not in play. As for commodity prices, the best predictor of commodity prices next year is the commodity price this year. This is borne out in empirical data and in economic theory. However...this is also beyond the scope of our analysis. And finally, gridlock on the freight rail system exists today in many cities. So? Seems like that's the kind of problem that a freight rail carrier would want to have.

The question of the day is this: How does the widening of the Panama Canal benefit freight rail carriers?

• 2 weeks later...

“Once those volumes start through the canal — it’s three years away, but when customers look to setting up distribution networks, this area will definitely take off,” Hoof said.

"...HOOF said..."

In my older age, and to the despair of my wife, I still cant seem to shake my childish impulse to laugh at any mention or suggestion of...well....things like "HOOF". I cant imagine this poor soul's 4th grade experience and the teasing for having such a misfortune of a last name. Granted, the great rocket scientist Max FAGET (pronounced Fu-jae) probably had it worse. Be that as it may, I can only fantisize that our 4th grader friend may have had a classmate with the last name of "CAMEL". I actually had a classmate by the name of Jill Camel, down in south Texas. So it COULD happen.

HA! One of the all-time great HAIF threads!

Well, as luck would have it, the whole thing just kind of died in 2007, right after the thread got locked. Then, in January 2010, the developer spearheading the whole thing filed for bankruptcy.

http://imcg.com/?p=52

So, it might be accurate to say...that ship has sailed. ;)

This thing is far from dead. One of the developers filed bankruptcy, but BNSF and another have been rebuilding the rail networks. Its easy to be critical, but this is one project Houstonians want to happen b/c this is a project that the Dallas and Houston leaders have been working together on to expand the Houston port and keep its edge when it comes to competing with the east and west coast ports.

Now the intermodal port is up and running and has been for a couple of years now. This year there was a major company that has set up shop in South Dallas because of the operations already in service and the expansions coming. There has also been a number of spec warehouse storage buildings built in this area looking to capitalize on this. All anyone has to do is look immediately west of I-45 south of Dallas and you will see the truck depots, weigh stations, cranes, and a large number of shipping containers.

• 1 month later...

Progress on this development has slowed, but not stopped.

Hindrances have included the economy, bankruptcies, and a potential political scandal that may just be coming to light (see dallasobserver.com for more info).

However over time, this area will likely develop as a logistics center regardless.

It is currently undeveloped and has access to railroads and interstates in every direction - including direct access to Houston.

The main competitor in the area is Alliance, north of Fort Worth, which has more limited access (e.g. to get to Houston, you must cross the entire DFW area).

Obviously, it will never be a '(sea)port' like the Port of Houston, but is well positioned to be a major distribution center that benefits both cities.

There has been an increase in rail construction in the Houston area. Interstate 69 will connect Mexico with Canada and go straight through Houston. IMO, I think the Houston area will start getting more distribution centers and warehouses. Houston is centrally located as well. I still think this large distribution area in South Dallas County will happen, but just not on as large of a scale as it was suppose to be. Not to mention Alliance has been doing well anyway.

• 3 years later...

HI EVERYONE!!!!!

I've been away from the forum for years and finally decided to come visit again!  I was surprised my account was still active!  Guess having 2 daughters, and just life, I guess, got in the way  :)  Anyways, I don't know if anyone remembers me, but I use to enjoy terrorizing our Dallas brethren just a little, for the sheer sport of it, remember?  Anyways, I am much more mature now....much more (ahem, sarcasm enabled).  Just thought I would say Hi....  Do you guys still have the HAIF socials like the good old days? Just wondering.....

:blink:

The HAIF has changed dramatically, RedScare, TheNiche, memebag, and many others have moved on. Traffic has slowed, Historic Houston is now rather sleepy from the bustling subforum it once was, even Way Off Topic is low key and civilized. Most people just talk about new buildings, and sometimes traffic/transit.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived