Port of Dallas Developments

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was there an extra big thread complaining about San Antonio's "port authority" ( a term that 2112 believes is cool and trendy) being created for their inland port? Do people here talk about how "Port San Antonio" doesn't have any water so it's not a HAIF-Approved-port

B) at least we'd have sumpin' in common. ;)

But, as it stands, like I try to post (but get all twisted sometimes), Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio: hey, we gotta pull together sistahs!!! Because people in NY and CA don't give a rat's ass what happens down here. They have us labeled as rednecks with shotguns in the car. Actually, I only carry two pistols. :lol::lol: Not!!!!!! We Texans really need to be a more closely, united group and not divisive. To be honest, I haven't taken a cruise from the Port of Houston yet. That's my next "thang." B)

B) at least we'd have sumpin' in common. ;)

But, as it stands, like I try to post (but get all twisted sometimes), Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio: hey, we gotta pull together sistahs!!! Because people in NY and CA don't give a rat's ass what happens down here. They have us labeled as rednecks with shotguns in the car. Actually, I only carry two pistols. :lol::lol: Not!!!!!! We Texans really need to be a more closely, united group and not divisive. To be honest, I haven't taken a cruise from the Port of Houston yet. That's my next "thang." B)

Please Houstonfella............... no more circle jerks!!! :blush: (just kidding Mods,please don't ban me :mellow: )

Please Houstonfella............... no more circle jerks!!! :blush: (just kidding Mods,please don't ban me :mellow: )

You are too funny. Nah, we are OK now. We got started off on a rocky road. And don't blush on your post, i.e., no more circle jerks. I think HAIF has heard it all. I was :lol: about that remark. Until the next post, be kool. B) I'll be very kind to you since I know you are in the legal environment of 200+ lawyers and all that that implies. :wacko:

Yes, I know how the term "agile port" is being used (basically a combination of a port with an inland railyard) but it does seem like an odd phrase, does it not? Any idea where that phrase came from or who cooked it up?

No idea how 'agile port' came to be the name for a place with that function. Seems like it might have been a temporary title used during conceptual development, that never got finished. Odd phrase? I think it's all together unfortunate. In general it's more ambiguous and confusing to refer to 'the agile port of Dallas' than to simply 'the port of Dallas'. Frankly, I hope the foppish inclinations of Dallas organizations lead to better branding of the cargo processing enterprises.

Anyone know when this deal with the Port of Houston is supposed to get moving? I sure hope we'll start to see more and more American exports processed/packed in Dallas and shipped out of Houston.

No idea how 'agile port' came to be the name for a place with that function. Seems like it might have been a temporary title used during conceptual development, that never got finished. Odd phrase? I think it's all together unfortunate. In general it's more ambiguous and confusing to refer to 'the agile port of Dallas' than to simply 'the port of Dallas'. Frankly, I hope the foppish inclinations of Dallas organizations lead to better branding of the cargo processing enterprises.

Anyone know when this deal with the Port of Houston is supposed to get moving? I sure hope we'll start to see more and more American exports processed/packed in Dallas and shipped out of Houston.

Since the POH is running the show perhaps it should just be called: Port of Houston: Dallas cargo Branch-because if there were no POH there sure as hell would be no POD :P

Since the POH is running the show perhaps it should just be called: Port of Houston: Dallas cargo Branch-because if there were no POH there sure as hell would be no POD :P

Actually, the inland/intermodal/port of pre-clearance is part of the Dallas NAFTA Trade Corridor. The Port of Dallas already exists. The agile port facility cooperative between The US Maritime Authority, City of Dallas and Port of Houston is one component of the whole initiative. As far as I'm aware, the decision of agile port facilities ownership has not been determined yet - it's either the city of Dallas or Port of Houston Authority.

It makes sense on this forum environment that a misconception regarding the role of the Port of Houston to pervade. Most of the Texas sized talk about what's already developing is because of cargo being trained from West Coast points of entry. It'll be at least a couple years (guessing) before The Port of Houston's involvement moves from planning to implementation.

In my opinion, this agile facility will end up being the most important component of the Port of Dallas, and represent the bulk of Port of Houston future growth. I have a feeling that a whole lot of product which currently floats down the Mississippi toward New Orleans embarkation will end up on a train to Dallas for Houston.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any relation between this development in Southeast Dallas and the proposed Trans-Texas Corridor? After all, if rail lines are supposed to be coming from Mexico to this shipping center....and the new Corridor is comprised of Highways and Railways....

Is there any relation between this development in Southeast Dallas and the proposed Trans-Texas Corridor?

I think there should be, but I dont think there is. I'm not really sure if the TTC is an approved program yet???? It's a good bet that if TTC gets whatever it needs to start, the Dallas Agile Port will have a roll in decision making.

So far, most of the strategic alliances bridged by the Dallas NAFTA Trade Corridor folks have focused on domestic distribution of imports; that's certainly understandable, and hopefully once the widening of the Panama Canal is done, more of the Asian imports will reach the Dallas distribution center via the Port of Houston.

What concerns me, though, with the agile port cooperative between Dallas area entities and the Port of Houston is an apparent (but unconfirmed) lack of effort to channel American exports through the system. I dont remember the organization off the top of my head, but I read about a proposal to put together a new rail route from the Panhandle/South Plains to a Pacific Mexican port for export of American agricultural products. Understanding there may be a compelling business reason for Asian-bound exports to embark from the Pacific coast, I think every effort should be made to direct Midwestern & Great Plains exports through Texas ports. Apologies to economic rebuilders of New Orleans, but I want to see the Dallas/Houston agile port system become the primary route of American exports.

Dallas Logistics Hub

For everyone who has a problem with calling this new Dallas center a "port" (as I do), here is a link to what the major developer in the area, the Allen Group is calling their project: The Dallas Logistics Hub.

www.dallaslogisticshub.com

You can also note that the breadth of the facility will be larger than simply a satellite to the Port of Houston, although that is a significant component that is important to both cities.

Ultimately, rather than arguing about the definition of "port", we should recognize the significance of this facility to all of Texas.

The Hub of Dallas. I like it.

Or:

The Port of Dallas, for Dirt Vessels.

And yes, I agree that the whole shmag is good for both the city of Houston, and, the city of DallasFortWorthArlingtonMesquiteRichardsonPlano

• 2 weeks later...

This has been a fun, interesting, and informative thread to read. One thing I am always leery about when reading stuff like this, especially when people start to believe the PR hype by quoting directly, is what the actual impact will be vs. the pretty projections. These to me are the two most relevant items they've thrown out: 6000 acres and 30,000+ workers. Sure, they make it sound so sexy, and it may have a positive impact on Dallas' economy, but what is it going to bring you personally?

What I see is 6000 acres of concrete and 30,000 $10hr dock workers. Besides the whole esthetics of what a 6000 acre patch of concrete will look like, where exactly in Dallas are 30,000 dock workers making $20,800 a year going to live?

So, sure, way to go Dallas, good for you getting this port.

• 1 month later...
What I see is 6000 acres of concrete and 30,000 $10hr dock workers. Besides the whole esthetics of what a 6000 acre patch of concrete will look like, where exactly in Dallas are 30,000 dock workers making $20,800 a year going to live?

So, sure, way to go Dallas, good for you getting this port.

I disagree with your analysis. Yes, there will be $10/hour dock workers, and $14/hr lift drivers, and $16/hr inspectors, and 60K/year floor supervisors, and 100K/year ops managers, etc... And from personal experience, there will be as much overtime as one can handle. There will also be FTZ brokers, safety managers, support personnel, restaurant and retail workers, construction jobs, and on and on. Just look at how the Alliance area is developing and tell me that it is all built on $10/hr jobs.

Not everyone can be a brain surgeon; for many people, making $30K - 50K a year for a job that doesn't require prime skills or a degree is doing well. Any while some may not think much of warehouse jobs, careers in logistics can pay well, relative to skill level and education. I see the intermodal project in southern Dallas County as a good thing for the DFW area, especially for south Dallas, an area that has been neglected for decades.

• 2 weeks later...
Editorial linking the new UNT Dallas campus and the port as key to the southern sector's development:

http://www.peoplenewspapers.com/ME2/Audien...E75FD51480D8A7D

:lol::lol::lol:

(Just when I thought it couldnt possibly get better)

This is classic:

"...It is as if the boat will pull up to Houston, but the longshoremen will be in Dallas..."

So basically, all the "action" will be sucked away from POH and will pop up in Big D!! (The article actually continues and claims exactly this) I'm sorry, but this is just too funny. Dont get me wrong, it makes me happy to see a part of the area that has been neglected get some badly deserved attention and prosperity. It's just that the whole marketing engine in Dallas just never ceases to amaze me! Longshoremen in Dallas? Again, I offer to you the jury that there is no water anywhere to be found for a 250 mile radius. Yet we seem to have a Port here. Complete with longshoremen. Jeeze. There is just so much imagination and just not enough reality going on around these parts. Next thing you know, Mission Control will "essentially" be in Plano. It's the same camp that tries to convince us that Fort Worth is in fact part of Dallas. I love it.

The Port of Dallas.

It's a Port. And it's in Dallas.

It's the Port of Dallas.

Again, I offer to you the jury that there is no water anywhere to be found for a 250 mile radius.

Gasp. No water within 250 miles??? Isn't Fort Worth within 250 miles? Yet, where are your posts about that port? Isn't San Antonio within 250 miles? Yet no posts about that port? :wacko:

Jason

(Just when I thought it couldnt possibly get better)

This is classic:

"...It is as if the boat will pull up to Houston, but the longshoremen will be in Dallas..."

So basically, all the "action" will be sucked away from POH and will pop up in Big D!! (The article actually continues and claims exactly this) I'm sorry, but this is just too funny. Dont get me wrong, it makes me happy to see a part of the area that has been neglected get some badly deserved attention and prosperity. It's just that the whole marketing engine in Dallas just never ceases to amaze me! Longshoremen in Dallas? Again, I offer to you the jury that there is no water anywhere to be found for a 250 mile radius. Yet we seem to have a Port here. Complete with longshoremen. Jeeze. There is just so much imagination and just not enough reality going on around these parts. Next thing you know, Mission Control will "essentially" be in Plano. It's the same camp that tries to convince us that Fort Worth is in fact part of Dallas. I love it.

The Port of Dallas.

It's a Port. And it's in Dallas.

It's the Port of Dallas.

There is nothing wrong or inaccurate with the article, though it is short on details. Obviously, the article is written for an audience with little technical understanding of logistics and tries to explain how an inland port works.

Did the "It is as if..." part cause you to lose your concentration? There will not be any longshoremen literally in Dallas, as you bent over backwards pointing out, but this is clearly a rhetorical mechanism to convey to novices how inland ports work. Really, a twelve year old can clearly understand the point that is being made by the writer, what is your problem?

2112, I imagine you are just trying to pull this board into another Dallas vs. Houston shouting match, or are starved for attention, but this time you are just coming across as a fool. This is simply my opinion, of course. Good night.

There is nothing wrong or inaccurate with the article, though it is short on details. Obviously, the article is written for an audience with little technical understanding of logistics and tries to explain how an inland port works.

Did the "It is as if..." part cause you to lose your concentration? There will not be any longshoremen literally in Dallas, as you bent over backwards pointing out, but this is clearly a rhetorical mechanism to convey to novices how inland ports work. Really, a twelve year old can clearly understand the point that is being made by the writer, what is your problem?

2112, I imagine you are just trying to pull this board into another Dallas vs. Houston shouting match, or are starved for attention, but this time you are just coming across as a fool. This is simply my opinion, of course. Good night.

:huh:

:unsure:

The article makes it look like Dallas is stealing business from Houston's port or has a more important job than Houston. Only some of the cargo in Houston would be transported to Dallas.

Exactly Trae. As 2112 mentioned, this is another proffessional marketing ploy by Big D, and it's beyond goofy. It's similar to the article I read yesterday from the Dallas Morning News touting Victory as comparable to Times Square. Simply hillarious.

I know I've contradicted myself by chiming in on this, but it was irresistable. By the way, I won't be back on this thread, so you Dallas boy's can go to town now.

Exactly Trae. As 2112 mentioned, this is another proffessional marketing ploy by Big D, and it's beyond goofy. It's similar to the article I read yesterday from the Dallas Morning News touting Victory as comparable to Times Square. Simply hillarious.

Simply hillarious and flat out gross. The DMN does a pretty good job to report most of the newsworthy stories out of North Texas, but I cannot stand the way current event articles are written as advertisments. Even when there's an obvious attempt to tone-down the usual pretentious DMN fluffing, the writing still strokes the siss-boom-bah boosters. The DMN editors should be going out of their way to eliminate the advertisorial tone and focus on reporting the news. One thing funnier/grosser is how the Houston pep squad choses to impose DMN disappointments onto that local population.

So anyway, the Inland Port of Dallas, presumed misnomer and source of humor.... anyone know when all this talk about facilities for inland PoH cargo processing will get going? It's looking more and more like BNSF will build a giant facility, joining Union Pacific in the Dallas NAFTA Trade Corridor initiatives; but the PoH connection and the Cargo Airport components seem painfully slow to gain any tangible traction. I know the whole inland/agile port thing is still in its infancy, but I'm certain the whole State will benefit economnically from the Houston-Dallas connection into the global flow of trade.

I know I've contradicted myself by chiming in on this, but it was irresistable. By the way, I won't be back on this thread, so you Dallas boy's can go to town now.

Whatever. It is almost impossible it have a meaningful conversation on this board without some insecure Houstonite crying about how unfair the Dallas marketing machine is, as if everything you read that is puts Dallas in a positive light couldn

Archived