Uptown Retail Market

N Judah

I recall seeing a plan in the Chronicle many years ago for possible future expansions of the Galleria. They included the location where they eventually did place Galleria 4. If I remember correctly, they also indicated that further expansions could go in front (on the Westheimer side) of Neiman Marcus and also in front of Galleria 3. They also said there was a plan for possibly adding space crossing Post Oak Blvd and more-or-less surounding Dillards. Of course the Galleria has since changed ownership at least once, so I have no idea if the current owners have those same plans.

Further on the subject of possible expansions of the Galleria... I've always been surprised that they've never incorporated any high-rise condos or apartments into the complex. I got the idea from several of the newer high-rise shopping malls on North Michigan Ave. in Chicago, where they have a 7-8 story shopping center with a hotel above that and condos above the hotel. One even has a very nice grocery store in the lower level. (Straying even further from the topic, I would LOVE to see a mixed-use complex such as that developed in downtown Houston.)

I dunno...the richest people I know don't really care that much about popular name brand clothing (like polo or sean john). 

Usually it's just the nouveau riche / upper middle class who get super obsessed with name brand consumerism.

..and your richest friends drive Kias, live in the 5th Ward, travel by Greyhound, and play golf at Hermann Park because to do anything else would indicate an obsession with name brand consumerism, yeah, right.

Why are so many people obsessed with other people's financial choices. Why does it matter soo much to you what Joe Blow does with his money? Does it make you fell superior to call someone "nouveau riche"? I'm only guessing, but I figure most people would rather be nouveau riche than not "riche" at all. It's what capitalism is all about, no?

You have a LOT to learn.  I suggest living somewhere else, and then returning to Houston.

FWIW, I drive a Kia.  Gets sweet gas mileage.  The richest guy I know drives a 1982 Honda Accord and doesn't snow ski because he knows how ski resorts ruin the environment, does cross couintry skiing instead.  But then again, he doesn't live in Houston and doesn't measure his self-worth by what other people think of him.

Of course, therefore, by Houston standards -- what does HE know?

lmao.

all the best.

Why do you think we would care that you drive a Kia that gets "sweet gas mileage?" Why do you think we care that the richest guy you know drives a 1982 Honda Accord, and doesn't snow ski and for God's sake why do you think we care WHY he doesn't snow ski (I'm guessing you meant to say downhill ski... as far as I know cross country skiing requires snow as well, unless doing it in the snow somehow ruins the environment too). Sounds to me like SOMEone might be guilty of measuring their self-worth by their possessions, their activities, and by what other people think of him/her.

• 2 weeks later...
Why do you think we would care that you drive a Kia that gets "sweet gas mileage?"  Why do you think we care that the richest guy you know drives a 1982 Honda Accord, and doesn't snow ski and for God's sake why do you think we care WHY he doesn't snow ski (I'm guessing you meant to say downhill ski... as far as I know cross country skiing requires snow as well, unless doing it in the snow somehow ruins the environment too).  Sounds to me like SOMEone might be guilty of measuring their self-worth by their possessions, their activities, and by what other people think of him/her.

You obviously aren't capable of following the discussion. I'm sorry.

Archived