Building A civic center

Guest Plastic

Guest Plastic

Houston's got alotof things, among things it need is rail. We've got the 1960 and Westheimer strips,Toyota Center,Reliant Stadium,lotsof malls and even The Galleria.

Besides a new amusement parki what Houston needs is a civic center. When I say a civic center i mean a place that's open to the public with restreaunts,shops,clubs,oddities,and open 24 hours a day. We've already kinda got something like this with The Marque Entertainment Center,Bayou Place, and The Pavillions.

But I want something that's open to the general public. All thos eprojects are privatley owned and they can decide who comes in and not. They also close. While it ould have other little alleys and corridors it would have a big central arena. This would be something like Time Sqaure in New York, Picadilly Circus in London ,West End in Dallas and the many other sqaures of the world (Tienimen,Red). It would be the be open space where you could have fistivals parades, events,even concerts.

I was hoping for an indoor facility but the real sqaures and to get the real feeling it would have to be outdoor. We could have minor centers all over town including where Town&COuntry Mall was and where Greenspoint Mall currently is. Of course there'd abe a central one Downtown. Not so much a place to shop as a place for events. If we wantede a superduper one we could rennovate the spac e where Astroworld was intoa huge civic complex.

Whatever Houston needs it, The Marque gets packed on weekends.

I agree that Houston needs a civic center. The Chronicle did an article on this a year or so ago (one of the better Chron pieces). They were searching for the city "center." Their conclusion was that we really didn't have one. I agree.

There really aren't that many places that would work. However, there's one place I've always thought would be a great central plaza if designed right - the northeast corner of Main and Prairie. It has many of the aspects of a great plaza - restaurants and activity centers surrounding, easily accessible to transit, and a central location. I would love to see those parking lots paved with some nice stones or design elements. Then, when the Astros win the World Series we'd have an official place to watch the game then throw a party!

Guest Plastic

Well technically there are Downtown Sqaures. There's Market Sqaure and Main St Sqaure.

Although their hilarious when compared to Time Sqaure they do get linked in with them.

If you please, it's Times Square, not Time Square.

Bigtex, c'mon now, even though it scrambles my brain sometimes to try and decipher Plastic's posts, you shouldn't correct the guy, he is "edumucated", at least PM him so he can edit. :angry::D

Edited by TJones

• 4 weeks later...

well Houston Pavilions is gonna do all of that, it will be a core for the city, downtowns main street is heading in the right direction in becoming a center for the city, im liking the progress, the city is beginning to build right, build on every lot of land possible and improve on its eye sores

The new park at the GRB is intended to adress the issue of a city center. It remains to be seen if it can do that, but I'll give it a chance. It also has enough open land around it for private entities to augment it with the requisite restaurants and pubs and shops.

There are enough pedestrian generators nearby (GRB, Hilton, MMP, Toyota, Houston Center, South Tx Coll of Law, Pavillions) to provide potential users of the park, as well. A tavern with a patio or balcony overlooking the park could be pretty cool.

Maybe I'll look into that. :)

I agree with the park as a public meeting space. Hopefully the city encourages the right type of development around the park and there will be a nice residential wall of development around the public space with some retail at the bottom levels of those residential properties to compliment the retail that will be at the park.

Edited by WesternGulf

western gulf is there anywhere i can find info on the park, i remember hearing about a meeting they had showing rendering of what was to come, but thats all i got

This is the website. How much they update it? I do not know. I just wait for announcements with the chron and HBJ.

http://www.houstondowntownpark.org

Edited by WesternGulf

The new park at the GRB is intended to adress the issue of a city center. It remains to be seen if it can do that, but I'll give it a chance. It also has enough open land around it for private entities to augment it with the requisite restaurants and pubs and shops.

There are enough pedestrian generators nearby (GRB, Hilton, MMP, Toyota, Houston Center, South Tx Coll of Law, Pavillions) to provide potential users of the park, as well. A tavern with a patio or balcony overlooking the park could be pretty cool.

Maybe I'll look into that. :)

Thats lovely, but how do we brush the homeless that flood the parks around the GRB & Houston Center? The little "fun stream" and water areas are just attracting the homless. They alreayd bathe in Tranquility Park... would you bring your children to this park to play in the water? This type of developement is too 70s.

Edited by Montrose1100

Thats lovely, but how do we brush the homeless that flood the parks around the GRB & Houston Center? The little "fun stream" and water areas are just attracting the homless. They alreayd bathe in Tranquility Park... would you bring your children to this park to play in the water? This type of developement is too 70s.

there are some REALLY big names behind this deal and countless hours of pro-bono work has and still is going on.

list of contributors

egos alone will not allow this park to become a homeless shelter. how they will police it, i have no earthly idea; i just "know" it wont.

Actually, we ARE getting a government plaza. The Harris County Court Complex will have a one square block plaza in the middle.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=2660

Although I can't imagine the square by the courthouses could function like the zocalo in Mexico City as texas911 mentioned. That is the traditional heart of the city and is used for demonstrations, civic functions, and just plain hanging around. I don't think Houston, or most American cities, could sustain a public square with that sort of usage. Our culture and our cities are not generally built around a single civic gathering place.

Although I can't imagine the square by the courthouses could function like the zocalo in Mexico City as texas911 mentioned. That is the traditional heart of the city and is used for demonstrations, civic functions, and just plain hanging around. I don't think Houston, or most American cities, could sustain a public square with that sort of usage. Our culture and our cities are not generally built around a single civic gathering place.

I understand and agree that the city is not built around a single square. My hope would be that the square might evolve into a central spot for demonstrations, etc. It would seem to be a perfect spot to exercise one's First Amendment rights, or to protest the taking of rights...in front of the courthouse that protects them.

nmain, yes they still plan the jury assembly area under the square, with tunnel access to all 5 courthouses.