Emancipation Court: Townhomes On Emancipation Ave.

6 hours ago, Amlaham said:

That livable places ordinance needs to go into effect already and stop all the damage that these developers are creating. Yes, this is better than whats there now but does little for walkability. 

Are they going to destroy the sidewalks then?

18 minutes ago, Amlaham said:

Many driveways make it harder for people to walk safely 

Like what does your comment even insinuate? 

Five residential driveways?  That will not have moving traffic 99% of the time?  The existing lot looks to have been commercial with the five existing driveways composing more than 50% of the total curb.  Sounds like an upgrade for pedestrians, especially if they plant some trees.

Just pointing out that the walkability isn't significantly impaired by this.   In fact, it's probably going to be improved.

15 hours ago, august948 said:

Five residential driveways?  That will not have moving traffic 99% of the time?  The existing lot looks to have been commercial with the five existing driveways composing more than 50% of the total curb.  Sounds like an upgrade for pedestrians, especially if they plant some trees.

Just pointing out that the walkability isn't significantly impaired by this.   In fact, it's probably going to be improved.

Its 5 driveway, the developer could have easily made it easier for pedestrians without making it harder for vehicles (not going to explain how, being on this forum you should already know how). I know you've seen the case scenario where cars block sidewalks, its VERY common in these type of developments, just look at similar developments around. Also, whatever the lot WAS does NOT matter. If we were to build based off of what a site previously was, there would be no change in Houston. 

Like I said previously, YES this is an improvement to what was already there, however, it could have been even much better, especially since this will most likely sit unchanged for the next 50+ years. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2023 at 9:34 AM, Amlaham said:

I know you've seen the case scenario where cars block sidewalks, its VERY common in these type of developments, just look at similar developments around.

That’s against City ordinance and should be reported so it can be enforced. People who block sidewalks with their cars are the worst. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

That’s against City ordinance and should be reported so it can be enforced. People who block sidewalks with their cars are the worst. 

I've seen people reporting blocked sidewalks in the city's 311 app.  I'm sometimes tempted to do the same since more often than not, when I walk past the night club on McGowen and Travis during the day, it has trucks and sometimes construction equipment parked all over the sidewalk.

But considering how quickly the city responds to 911 calls, I imagine by the time a 311 complaint about a blocked sidewalk was addressed, the offender would be long gone.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

2 hours ago, editor said:

I've seen people reporting blocked sidewalks in the city's 311 app.  I'm sometimes tempted to do the same since more often than not, when I walk past the night club on McGowen and Travis during the day, it has trucks and sometimes construction equipment parked all over the sidewalk.

But considering how quickly the city responds to 911 calls, I imagine by the time a 311 complaint about a blocked sidewalk was addressed, the offender would be long gone.

Please still make the effort! 311 reports are used by other departments and help empower changes like Livable Places pushing the minimum driveway length from 17' to 19' so the sidewalks are less likely to be blocked.

In terms of this plat... both of the streets they front on are primary Walkable Places streets. They will have to submit a new plat design because front-loaders are not permitted. They'll probably do something with a second shared driveway. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Emancipation Court: Townhomes On Emancipation Ave.