Rehabilitation Of Commerce St.

49 minutes ago, ljchou said:

lets hope this plan involves trees. its currently so desolate

They absolutely need to add greenery and shade trees. It would be a huge disappointment if they aren't able to do this. That whole stretch is full of prime property that can transform the area, but it needs infrastructure and pedestrian friendly amenities. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, hindesky said:

They are going to choose between the 50' wide or the 60' wide plan. Says it will start summer '23.

I think that there is variable right of way width along this corridor, so there is really only one proposal. It just changes along the way. ROW is wonky on some of these blocks IIRC, but that may have been further east. 

• Like 2

A little disappointed by the limited scope, especially on the west side. Unprotected on-street from the Harrisburg bike trail to Velasco feels like a missed opportunity, but it's still a pretty comfortable section, I'd say. St. Charles to Austin (or especially Bagby), not so much.

Would love to see a full corridor from the Navigation bend to Westcott along Sherman, HBT, Commerce, and Washington.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 004n063 said:

A little disappointed by the limited scope, especially on the west side. Unprotected on-street from the Harrisburg bike trail to Velasco feels like a missed opportunity, but it's still a pretty comfortable section, I'd say. St. Charles to Austin (or especially Bagby), not so much.

Would love to see a full corridor from the Navigation bend to Westcott along Sherman, HBT, Commerce, and Washington.

Even just connecting down commerce st to the austin street bike trail would be a win, that part can be very sketchy to ride -- especially during rush hour or if there is a game at MMP.

But I agree, 

• Like 2

connecting a bike lane on Commerce at least as far as Austin street should be a thing, but considering the i45 realignment is going to be a reality, I'd be happy if they don't spend the money for that now.

if my memory is working well today, that part of that TXDoT project will include reconstructing the Navigation underpass, and will also include Commerce in that underpass.

49 minutes ago, samagon said:

connecting a bike lane on Commerce at least as far as Austin street should be a thing, but considering the i45 realignment is going to be a reality, I'd be happy if they don't spend the money for that now.

if my memory is working well today, that part of that TXDoT project will include reconstructing the Navigation underpass, and will also include Commerce in that underpass.

The Navigation underpass reconstruction is separate from the I45 realignment. It's a CoH project that utilizes a $36 million US DOT grant and CoH/HGAC match. The Houston Belt & Terminal Railway, currently jointly operated by UP and BNSF, threw in $791,000 after the infant death citation. 

CoH has until 2025 to start work or the federal grant lapses. 

Edited by JClark54
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2023 at 7:00 AM, 004n063 said:

It's a very nearsighted approach from the city. Bike Houston is trying to get the city to connect this to the Harrisburg H&B Trail even if it's just temporary. Precinct 2 has much more ambitious plans to connect this properly. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

kgdV02m.png

They haven't started work on Commerce St. yet but I want to believe the work on a whole bunch of the streets that connect to it have been milled down and some of those streets have brand new asphalt on them is part of the project. Saw one getting new asphalt today.

PMSw2jM.jpg

VsGprrf.jpg

Knn3ngu.jpg

V836UrN.jpg

fYWT4tt.jpg

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Rehabilitation Of Commerce St.