North Main Street Safety Improvement

This project continues to grow so it seems to make sense to have its own thread.

https://www.letstalkhouston.org/north-main

I attended a meeting tonight where they plan to keep expanding this project. Looks like Airline Dr and that area will be next. The most interesting turn of events is there there are four intersections where they plan to put in "islands" or blockers to prevent traffic from accessing N Main. Hopefully I can find a schematic soon to show what was at the presentation tonight.

image.png

image.png

• Like 7

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Our superneighborhood group has been notified that, both from Mario Castillo and Whitmire's office, that this project has been put on hold and is being reassessed, from Boundary to Airline.

• Sad 11

5 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Don't let the pause worry you

I think it will still move forward but I imagine some of the design might change. I-45 to Airline might remain the same, but I-45 to Boundary had some opposition, not just from the nearby residents but also White Oak Music Hall. They are concerned about their Lyft/Uber spots and what it means for people driving to their venue. It gets backed up already with two lanes headed toward WOMH so there is no telling how bad it will get with just one lane. So it makes me wonder.... do they try to add a middle/turning lane here... perhaps during big shows they can shuffle traffic around with that center lane? A lot of unknowns at this point.

• Sad 1

On 2/6/2024 at 10:43 PM, Triton said:

I think it will still move forward but I imagine some of the design might change. I-45 to Airline might remain the same, but I-45 to Boundary had some opposition, not just from the nearby residents but also White Oak Music Hall. They are concerned about their Lyft/Uber spots and what it means for people driving to their venue. It gets backed up already with two lanes headed toward WOMH so there is no telling how bad it will get with just one lane. So it makes me wonder.... do they try to add a middle/turning lane here... perhaps during big shows they can shuffle traffic around with that center lane? A lot of unknowns at this point.

Yeah there's gonna be some major tweaks to all of the planned routes, but I think he's willing to work out the kinks. He's all about "working together"

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

What do you mean? 

I think it really should have gone up N. Main in the first place. It should have always been the main way to get to WOMH (and a connection to the eastern Heights) but the awkward turn at Boundary preserved it as a drive-to spot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 004n063 said:

I think it really should have gone up N. Main in the first place. It should have always been the main way to get to WOMH (and a connection to the eastern Heights) but the awkward turn at Boundary preserved it as a drive-to spot.

The Red Line extension was built several years before WOMH came to be. It was more useful at the time to make the turn and then follow Fulton up to Northline.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ross said:

The Red Line extension was built several years before WOMH came to be. It was more useful at the time to make the turn and then follow Fulton up to Northline.

Wow, I did not realize how new WOMH was. Makes sense. 

That said, I still think a North Main routing would have been smart. It would have given more of the Heights access to decent transit and would have catalyzed more TOD along the corridor than we've gotten with Fulton. 

Nothing terribly wrong with the Fulton routing - I just think that, like the Purple line, it suggests a very limited view of transit's role, which is something we continue to deal with at the upper "vision" levels.

While the routing on N Main would have been great, we also have to look at how Metro has approached expansion. At the time, it made more sense to lay the tracks down in an area with less push back that would also serve low income neighborhoods. The same happened with the BRT lines. Metro could have thrown another light rail referendum on the table but it chose the cheaper route to get the ball rolling but I firmly believe the long term plan is light rail. Metros mindset is winning over the public first and then getting new voter approval for improvements, etc. And honestly it's working. The latest transit measure passed by almost 20% percent more than the measure back in 2004.