Raised crosswalks might be new speed bumps for Montrose

When the topic of last weeks crash (estimated at traveling 100 miles per hour) that killed pedestrian; COH District C  council Kamin, spoke of raised crosswalks as a safety measure to slow traffic down. It seems raised crosswalks  are not regulated in same way as speedbumps, making them " easier to install." 

• Like 7

On 4/27/2023 at 6:57 AM, trymahjong said:

When the topic of last weeks crash (estimated at traveling 100 miles per hour) that killed pedestrian

I keep seeing "100 miles per hour" in practically every news report about this. I've seen the video, and pictures of the vehicle after the crash, and I'm skeptical that any vehicle could even approach that speed on a street as narrow and congested as that section of Westheimer. Also, as bad as the vehicle damage looks, I'd have expected it to be much worse following a 100 mph impact. 

So has there been anything to substantiate that number, or is this just another instance of "if it bleeds, it leads" on the part of the media, where someone decided that a nice big round number was a good enough estimate to get more page views on their website?

On 4/27/2023 at 11:33 AM, MrFubbles said:

Can we just crowdfund them? I'm sure half the neighborhood would pitch in

Or what if we let the businesses on Westheimer sponsor each crosswalk? Let them design it?

I have dozens of dollars to donate, where do I send em?

On 4/28/2023 at 5:35 PM, mkultra25 said:

I keep seeing "100 miles per hour" in practically every news report about this. I've seen the video, and pictures of the vehicle after the crash, and I'm skeptical that any vehicle could even approach that speed on a street as narrow and congested as that section of Westheimer. Also, as bad as the vehicle damage looks, I'd have expected it to be much worse following a 100 mph impact. 

So has there been anything to substantiate that number, or is this just another instance of "if it bleeds, it leads" on the part of the media, where someone decided that a nice big round number was a good enough estimate to get more page views on their website?

They were basically driving one of the few vehicles where it is at least feasible. Current gen 911 Turbo S does 0-60 in 2.5 seconds. 0-100 in 5.1 seconds and it takes about 400 ft. 

The crosswalk on the westbound side of Weshtimer/Montrose to the crosswalk at Waugh (right before Voodoo) is 440'.  So even from a stop they could have been doing 100 MPH. From a 30 or 40 MPH roll it would have been pretty easy to get to 100. Of course you'd have to be insane or drunk and just stomp it because you probably aren't making the turn, but it is feasible. 

Speed citation: https://fastestlaps.com/tests/n2lfl5o7aail

• Thanks 4

• The title was changed to Raised crosswalks might be new speed bumps for Montrose