Morton's Steakhouse At 1001 McKinney St.

Subdude

It won't be online yet, but the Houston Business Journal says that Morton's Steaks is opening a second Houston location downtown in the 1001 McKinney building. The new location will have the new "Morton's Bar 12-21" concept, which is "a special bar bites menu" that "allows for more dining in the bar area."

It won't be online yet, but the Houston Business Journal says that Morton's Steaks is opening a second Houston location downtown in the 1001 McKinney building. The new location will have the new "Morton's Bar 12-21" concept, which is "a special bar bites menu" that "allows for more dining in the bar area."

That is good news! But an Outback would be cooler!

Well I would like to see a IHOP and a Taco Bell. I can't afford Morton's anyways. It's just sometimes at work I get a craving for IHOP or Taco Bell, and I can't find them downtown, which is probably why I end up getting a craving for them in the first place. But I do like the idea of putting a Chilis or Outback in downtown also. I know some people will groan at the thought of large chain type restaurants moving in, but those are good places to go at lunch, and to not even have to leave downtown would be great!

1001 McKinney
Where? In the lobby?

I always thought a coffee shop would fit nicely in the corner that faces Fannin.

This is a nice buildling in the lobby area. It's on the National Register of Historic Places. They have some really cool engraves with little bees near the doors.

I also like the old school elevator lights.

IHOP and Taco Bell

PJs cafeteria in the basement of 1001 McKinney has just about the same selection as IHOP. And there is Taco Cabana in Allen Center.

I wish they would shut-down Two Forks in Houston Center and open an Outback. Two Forks is low grade dog food. You can still see the marks from where the jockey was hitting the meat.

I'm with 'Coog. I'm trying to picture where/how this place will be situated. Surprised that Morton's group decided to jump into the downtown restaurant fray, what with two pretty successful downtown steakhouses (V&A and Striphouse) in play.

Of course, I always thought Smith & Wollensky might have eventually tried to open a location DT. Still might in the future.

Walking through the lobby this morning, it appears they either setting up for an All-Star Game Party, or already working on the steak house.

But considering they were working on installing a walk-through metal detector, I hope they were just setting up for the party.

I don't think this building needs a thug-management system. Then again, it is crawling with lawyers, so you never know.

The Morton's in Uptown isn't bad at all. The food's not as good as the DT Los Angeles location but the environment certainly is (the Morton's on Figueroa in LA was pretty freakin' dead when I visited). The Morton's in RiverNorth in Chicago was packed and lively, with pretty good service, but the steak was VERY disappointing.

I hope this new DT Houston location has steaks that rival the one I had in LA. One of the five best steaks I've ever had. Seriously.

How are Houston and Atlanta so much alike?

Believe me they are. I lived there for a very short time. Both are the epitome of sunbelt cities. Both have many business districts/edge cities that hurt downtown's potential, went through the same urban renewal patterns that plague both cities today, and they are both heavily street car suburban within their inner city. They are both trying to fix their problems and I wont mention who is doing a better job unless I want to be ostracized on this forum. ;)

• 1 year later...
How is the new Morton's steak house ? Has anyone been. It looks really nice walking by every am on my way to work.

I haven't had a chance to go in yet, but from what I have seen, they seem to have steady business. I wonder how that location is working out for them so far?

the bar area looked fairly busy last night.

I was there tonight, and it was doing very well. Couple of 12+ business/expense account tables, plus others, and bar full for much of the night.

On a recent Thursday night I went to the bar at 5:00, when they open. By 5:45 the bar was packed.

Great "happy hour." Martinis still $12, but appetizer prices at $4.00. Try the mini steak sandwiches -- a light meal and terrific.

A great addition to downtown.

I was there tonight, and it was doing very well. Couple of 12+ business/expense account tables, plus others, and bar full for much of the night.

On a recent Thursday night I went to the bar at 5:00, when they open. By 5:45 the bar was packed.

Great "happy hour." Martinis still $12, but appetizer prices at $4.00. Try the mini steak sandwiches -- a light meal and terrific.

A great addition to downtown.

expense accounts sound like a requirement at 12/drink especially.

They only open up at 5pm?

Man, that kinda' sucks, I was hoping to head that way during a lunch hour to meet a date there, I would have figured that they would open up during an extended lunch hour.

I guess I better look at their website.

They only open up at 5pm?

Man, that kinda' sucks, I was hoping to head that way during a lunch hour to meet a date there, I would have figured that they would open up during an extended lunch hour.

I guess I better look at their website.

Just like their other location, they're not open at lunch.

And re their market, it's 1) expense accounts 2) well-to-do, and 3) impress your date.

Just like their other location, they're not open at lunch.

And re their market, it's 1) expense accounts 2) well-to-do, and 3) impress your date.

That's what I expected from the name. It sounds very cool. I will definately check it out. Thanks for the feed-back.

• The title was changed to Morton's Steakhouse At 1001 McKinney St.