New 72'x52' Scoreboard (91' Tall)

aggie0083

Don't get me started on my alma mater's spending priorities. Perhaps a world-class library should have been a tad bit higher on the list?

The Athletic Department funds are separate from the University's funds. This $12 million much needed scoreboard upgrade project will be paid for by the advertisements that will be displayed on the screens.

You should check out the $300 million in spending for academic buildings that we have going on right now as well and you will see where our priorities lie. Articles from this past Tuesday:

http://www.thebatt.com/media/paper657/news...www.thebatt.com

http://www.thebatt.com/media/paper657/news...www.thebatt.com

Do a little research before attacking your own university.

Don't get me started on my alma mater's spending priorities. Perhaps a world-class library should have been a tad bit higher on the list?

There's a persistant story that an A&M alum designed a library for their campus, but forgot to factor in the weight of the books. If so, do you know the details? or is this another urban myth?

There's a persistant story that an A&M alum designed a library for their campus, but forgot to factor in the weight of the books. If so, do you know the details? or is this another urban myth?

that sounds like a aggie joke :lol:

anyways, holy crap that thing is big.

I have heard that a few times, but am pretty sure it is an urban myth. Still, it's humorous to think about considering Aggie engineers probably built a decent percentage of buildings around the world, LOL.

Don't know about that...but, in a similar matter and probably as equally untrue, there is a rumor that at Georgia Tech, the school created a huge moving sidewalk to ferry students from one side of the campus to another, but the Tech grads (and engineering faculty) that designed the sidewalk failed to consider the weight of actual passengers on the sidewalk, so now they just have a stationary sidewalk...

Its probably just an urban myth, given that the basic details are always the same and just the name of the school and project changes...

As an Aggie engineer, we were told that this story was true in engineering school. It was for the design of Evans library. The building was supposed to be 6 floors instead of the existing 4 floors. The difference being the weight of the books. This was a common example of looking at all sides of a design problem.

Myth Confirmed.

• 5 months later...
Okay, so my memory fades. (Class of 96) Perhaps it is 6 floors and was supposed to be 8. I specifically remember being told that in my ENGR 109 class as an example of not including all the pertinent data in your design.

I graduated class of 99, and was told the exact same thing concerning evans (although with the correct number of floors :) )

Archived