Channelview Speedway On Sheldon Rd.

riverrat

Yeah, 57 bird you are right. Norman was a hard charging competitor.Unfortunantally we lost Norman in 2005.Yes I did go to Arrowhead, of course I was just a kid,but I would tag along behind Johnny Reiff, the car owner for Billy Griswold, I didn't drive anything there 'cuz I was way too young.Norman raced there alot,

as did Billy Wade,Doc Cossey, Buddy Rackley,A.JFoyt, Quinten Steinman,Don Burton, Cecil Elliot, Tubby Gonzales,&Billy Griswold. Griswold, Doc Cossy,Don Burton,Cecil Elliot, & Johnny Reiff,& Norman Peirce & of course Billy Wade are all gone now, I miss them all,but I owe them all alot. Those guy's taught me alot, not only mechanical & driving stuff, but kept me away from most bad things life can tempt you with while growing up.I still see Norman Peirce jr. a lot, he's pretty much like his dad, but he was never very interested in driving.

In the late 40's and early 50's there was a dirt track located in Channelview near the intersection of Sheldon Rd and Bear Bayou. It was active until about 1955 at the latest because I learned to drive on the old abandoned track in about 1958. Anyhow, it was only open on weedends and mostly stock cars built by local junkyard operators raced there but occassionally midget races and modifieds ran. These were mostly drivers from out of town (Houston was considered a long way off from Channelview in the 50's before I-10 was built.) I cannot remember any drivers who raced there but am sure some of the ones you have mentioned made the circuit.

• Like 1

• 16 years later...

I was browsing the newspaper The Baytown Sun dated May 16, 1952 and noticed an advertisement for Channelview Speedway located on Sheldon Road.

One of the thrilling wrecks you'll always see at Channelview Speedway.

Racing Channelview Speedway.

Modified Stock Cars- Saturday Nights
Sponsored by H.M.S.A.

Midgets- Every Thursday Night
Sponsored by S.W.M.A.

Either Night . . . A full evening of Thrills!

Featuring top drivers and fastest cars in the area.

Races start promptly 8:00 P.M. - End at 10:15 P.M.

Channelview Speedway
Covering 25 Acres-- Only combination track now in Texas. Located 2 miles from Channelview on Sheldon Road.

X31erk8.png