Westheimer Race Track On West Alabama St.

Highrise Tower

There has been some confusion about how Buffalo Speedway was named. In the discussion people have brought up the oval track on Westheimer Road and the oval track on Stella Link by the present-day Pershing Middle School.  HAIF has figured out the large oval track on Stella Link near Buffalo Speedway was called the Houston Speedway, often times referred to the Bellaire Speedway. 

Nobody had concrete information about the oval track on Westheimer Road. Everything about the mysterious oval track was from maps and internet articles. 

I was researching Mitchell Louis Westheimer earlier this week.  I was browsing the newspaper The Houston Daily Post dated January 4, 1896 and saw a classified ad by M.L. Westheimer about leasing of a race track. 

The ad states:

Race Track For Lease- I will lease my one-mile regulation race track, three and one-half miles from Houston, to good, responsible parties. Address M.L. Westheimer, Houston.

N1JXcnW.png

Here's a Bellaire map from 1921.  You can see the edge of the city on the far right. The street grid with the rectangle dots that are, presumably, buildings. The oval track is roughly 3-1/2 miles west of the city.  I think HAIF has finally figured this out!

In the map by the oval track you can see the same rectangle dots and circular red dots. I'd imagine those were buildings (dwellings, stables, barns, shacks, etc.) and then red circles are, presumably, water wells. 

fAdDlHi.png

In 1906, Mitchell's wife posted a classified ad selling the remainder of the 640-Acre Westheimer farm.  88-1/2 acres left over.

The ad states:

My farm of 88 1/2 acres with dwellings, barns, wells, etc.; suitable for dairy or truck farm.  Apply Mrs. M.L. Westheimer, 1501 Texas avenue.

TEdtdEh.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Westheimer Race Track On West Alabama St.

Westheimer's race track was actually located in between West Alabama and Richmond.  You can see a small road leading to the race track off West Alabama.

Image dated 12/31/1943:

Mrpf3tN.png

The Lamar High School campus on the upper right:

2IzEvjZ.png

I assume this shape in the upper middle of the image was a grand stand?

NVTOzsv.png

In the 12/31/1952 image you can see two things.

1) Exxon Mobil Upstream Research Company Campus At 3102 Buffalo Speedway.

2) The formation of road Buffalo Speedway itself.

Looks like the Exxon campus was smack in the middle of Westheimer's race track. Given it was a high profile company like Exxon I'm sure they knew what was previously there?

p80wCfE.png

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

Westheimer's race track was actually located in between West Alabama and Richmond.  You can see a small road leading to the race track off West Alabama.

Image dated 12/31/1943:

Mrpf3tN.png

The Lamar High School campus on the upper left:

2IzEvjZ.png

I assume this shape in the upper middle of the image was a grand stand?

NVTOzsv.png

In the 12/31/1952 image you can see two things.

1) Exxon Mobil Upstream Research Company Campus At 3102 Buffalo Speedway.

2) The formation of road Buffalo Speedway itself.

Looks like the Exxon campus was smack in the middle of Westheimer's race track. Given it was a high profile company like Exxon I'm sure they knew what was previously there?

p80wCfE.png

At the time, that would have been Humble Production Research. Standard Oil of New Jersey was prohibited by law from operating in Texas, so did everything through Humble. Jersey Standard had provided funding for Humble and owned about half the company in the early 1920's, and acquired the rest in pieces through the end of the 1950's. Note that the building was originally in the shape of an H, for Humble. Historic Aerials has some better pictures from 1953 and 1957.

• Like 1

A few newspaper articles mentioning Westheimer's race track.

The Galveston Daily News dated November 13, 1893.

Fixing For The Races.

This morning at Westheimer’s race track west of the city, there was some lively speeding of good stock under the saddle and in harness. It was a sort of meeting of the “talent,” and a general comparison and classification of stock in preparation for the races to be run there and the 30th instant and 1st prximo.

There were several good horses on hand and within reach, and the races will be quite interesting.  There were some good horsemen on hand and they will be able to make it right lively for those who get out to the races. In the party were several from abroad. The prizes that will be up will make it to the interest of owners to take a hand.

dsIPznv.png

The Houston Post dated September 28, 1915.

Motorcycle Rider Hurt.

Riding on a tryout swing of the Westheimer race track Sunday morning, Albert Granger, former police chauffeur, was hurled from his racing machine when it struct a rut and severely injured.  He was in a semi-conscious condition until Monday morning. He suffered several severe gashes to his face, a wrenched shoulder and sprained left wrist.  This is the second mishap Mr. Granger has had in two weeks, the first being when his motorcycle threw him on Washington avenue.

dsdDJ99.png

The Galveston Daily News dated January 19, 1893.

The pacing race to have taken place at Westheimer’s track yesterday.  Mile heats, best two out of three, was postponed on account of the bad track from excessive rain.

nneXKrl.png

The Galveston Daily News dated July 1, 1893.

A Horse Race.

There was a lively race at Westheimer’s track last evening between Mamie, entered by Archie Stayton, and a sorrel horse entered by John Parker.  It was a quarter dash and was one of the closest races ever run there.   The mare won by less than a head, and a bout $1000 changed hands on the result. Before the race the horse was a big favorite and $100 to $40 was offered on him.  A Galvestonian was there largely on the wrong horse.

VTRyPT2.png

The Galveston Daily News dated January 14, 1893.

Did Not Occur.

The horse race to have taken place yesterday afternoon on the Westheimer track did not take place on  account of one of the horses being out of condition. T is also understood that the race fixed to come off next Tuesday on the same track will not take place.  It was to have been the best two out of three heats for $500, but one of the contestants, it is understood, has decided not to enter.

vYIonsF.png

• Like 1