Alkek Velodrome Rack Track At 19008 Saums Rd.

RedScare

Reading the other thread about evil weekend cyclists, as well as 20thStreet Dad's post about the MS150 bike ride got me to wondering if any HAIFers participate in the many organized weekend rides around Houston. I have done these rides off and on since about 2002. Hopefully, this year I'll be more on than off, which is the point of this topic. If you know someone else is going to ride, you feel compelled to join them rather than hit the snooze button, whine that it is too cold/foggy/rainy/humid/hot, depending on the season.

Anyone out there? 20thStreet, how about you? There is a ride out in Cypress this weekend. It is always cold as hell, often windy too. This weekend might actually be decent, with highs in the upper 60s.

Here is the Texas bicycle ride website, for those who are interested.

Edit: There is also theĀ Alkek Velodrome located in Cullen Park in Katy at 19008 Saums Road.

Bicycle Texas website

And, Houston Sans Car

And, Houston Bicycle Club

Edited to add other cycling sites.

Great post, Red! If you scroll down to the individual club sites and click their links, many of them sponsor frequent, shorter, local rides. I have been on several with the Houston Bicycle Club and Pearland Cycling Club.

I have a buddy that rides 70 miles on Sat. AND Sundays, I know he's training for the 150, but I managed to elude him for SAG duty.

As ugly as I am, I need every moment of my beauty sleep. You got sponsors?

I don't do the MS150. I decided a couple of years back that there were no prizes for self abuse. And, with 12-13,000 riders, you can't even brag that you did something special. I did do the Shiner ride a few years back. 94 miles nearly killed me, but I got two tickets for free Shiner when it was over, so I guess that made it worth it.

I am definitely interested, but I am way out of bike-shape compared to when we rode the MS150. That, coupled with having to change out my mountain bike tires for slicks again (don't have a road bike), and also pushing the limits of how long a 1 year old will stay in the bike trailer. now that I think about it, it's hard enough to ride in the wind without the trailer. Man, I sound like a little whiny baby don't I. I just need to suck it up and head out for some rides. Still have to convince 20thSt mom and baby though.

Reading the other thread about evil weekend cyclists, as well as 20thStreet Dad's post about the MS150 bike ride got me to wondering if any HAIFers participate in the many organized weekend rides around Houston. I have done these rides off and on since about 2002. Hopefully, this year I'll be more on than off, which is the point of this topic. If you know someone else is going to ride, you feel compelled to join them rather than hit the snooze button, whine that it is too cold/foggy/rainy/humid/hot, depending on the season.

Anyone out there? 20thStreet, how about you? There is a ride out in Cypress this weekend. It is always cold as hell, often windy too. This weekend might actually be decent, with highs in the upper 60s.

Here is the Texas bicycle ride website, for those who are interested.

Bicycle Texas website

Yeah, I'm registered for Frost Bike in Cypress this weekend. I think my favorite ride, though, is Tour De Donut. For every donut eaten at the rest stops, they deduct 5 minutes from your finish time. I also like Moonlight Ramble (around Halloween time), and Critical Mass on the last Friday of every month from Tranquility Park downtown.

I'd totally do the city rides.

My only bike now is a hybrid/commuter bike, so not really interested in 50 mile stuff out in the country with the pizza cutters. My MS 150 days, like my single track days, are loooonnnnng gone.

Check out the Houston Bicycle Club. Their Sunday morning EZ rides are a lot of fun, through interesting parts of town, and slow. (8 mph, approx. 30 miles.) If you want something faster, the Urban Exploration and Taco Rides are good, though they're too long and fast for me (50+ miles, 15+ mph.) I have not yet found a regular, 12-14 mph, 30-40 mile in-town ride, though Pearland Cycling Club has some nice ones on the county roads between/in Pearland, Manvel, and Alvin.

Edit: Houston Sans Car on the first Sunday of each month at 9:00 is fun, and would be a good fit for your hybrid bike. Houston Sans Car

Check out the Houston Bicycle Club. Their Sunday morning EZ rides are a lot of fun, through interesting parts of town, and slow. (8 mph, approx. 30 miles.) If you want something faster, the Urban Exploration and Taco Rides are good, though they're too long and fast for me (50+ miles, 15+ mph.) I have not yet found a regular, 12-14 mph, 30-40 mile in-town ride, though Pearland Cycling Club has some nice ones on the county roads between/in Pearland, Manvel, and Alvin.

Edit: Houston Sans Car on the first Sunday of each month at 9:00 is fun, and would be a good fit for your hybrid bike. Houston Sans Car

Thx a lot for the link and info. The EZ rides sound too slow, actually. I may have to check out the others, though.

I just design my own 10-13 MPH rides on Bikely. I did 63 miles on Saturday from downtown to George Bush Park and back (The route), prepping for Frost Bike next Sunday. Usually I do 20-40 miles, depending on my mood, the weather, available time, etc.

Frankly, I think you suck.

;)

I'm trying to psych myself to go ride the 17 mile route on Sunday. Like I said earlier, I fell off the wagon a few years back, and I am trying to get back in the swing of things.

EDIT: Your link ain't working. Can you try again? I'd like to see that.

Frankly, I think you suck.

;)

I'm trying to psych myself to go ride the 17 mile route on Sunday. Like I said earlier, I fell off the wagon a few years back, and I am trying to get back in the swing of things.

EDIT: Your link ain't working. Can you try again? I'd like to see that.

Try refreshing a few times, Bikely is an excellent tool but a fickle mistress. Loading intermittently for me too now. http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/1-17-09

Basic summary: I go through downtown to the trails along Allen Parkway, follow those to Memorial at Shepherd, then ride the sidewalk on the South Side of Memorial through Memorial Park and on to Woodway. Continue along Woodway until I hit Voss, drop slightly on Voss to San Felipe, San Felipe til it turns to Briar Forest, right on Kirkwood, turn in to Terry Hershey Park on the left (between Briar Forest and Memorial) and follow the trail through Terry Hershey all the way to Highway 6. There is a trail that goes along the top of the reservoir all the way south to Westheimer Parkway. Turned right, went to Barker Clodine road and turned right and went up the bike trail through George Bush Park. Pops out at the top on the I-10 feeder. Take the sidewalk east to Eldridge, north on Eldridge. No sidewalk, but nicely sized improved shoulder. Left on Patterson, right through Bear Creek, right on Clay. Clay turns into 43rd. Right on Shepherd, and then meander back through the Heights.

I should say that's my longest ride yet, and I've been pushing it because I want to do the 55 mile route this weekend for Frost Bike (also available, 25 mi and 45 mi).

A good way to plan routes is to cross-reference with the Houston Bikeways Map PDF file. http://www.publicworks.houstontx.gov/bikeways/maps.htm

Gray and Green routes are best (non-street trails), Blue are second-best (bike lanes), Red is bad-ish (shared lane, signed route), and orange is worst (shared lane, no signs advising motorists bicycles present).

I rode almost the same route the previous weekend! I took Barker Cypress to the Addicks dam and rode on that all the way to Clay. It's gravel, but great on a CX or MTB. I took Clay to 43rd to White Oak Bayou trail, then down to 11th/12th and back into Hieghts. There's some good (and not so good) routes on mapmyride.com as well. BikeRouteToaster.com can be useful, too, especially if you use GPS.

I rode almost the same route the previous weekend! I took Barker Cypress to the Addicks dam and rode on that all the way to Clay. It's gravel, but great on a CX or MTB. I took Clay to 43rd to White Oak Bayou trail, then down to 11th/12th and back into Hieghts. There's some good (and not so good) routes on mapmyride.com as well. BikeRouteToaster.com can be useful, too, especially if you use GPS.

Coming out of Terry Hershey, there was a guy on a mountain unicycle, truly a sight to behold. My jaw dropped when he rode that sucker continuously all the way up the path that goes to the top of the dam. He was a lot faster than his riding partner, who was on two wheels.

Our average trip is now around 10 miles. I could do 20-30 easy, but not fast at all. I can keep it at 10-14 steady with the baby trailer, depending on wind.

I want to do that donut ride. For real. Do you get a donut-related prize if you end up with a negative time?

Our average trip is now around 10 miles. I could do 20-30 easy, but not fast at all. I can keep it at 10-14 steady with the baby trailer, depending on wind.

I want to do that donut ride. For real. Do you get a donut-related prize if you end up with a negative time?

The winner the past several years has indeed finished with a negative time. Negative 15 minutes this time. The person who had initially won last year was disqualified when it was discovered that he had discarded donuts that he took rather than eating them.

Its in November. Last year there were 1500 riders and 6600 Shipley's donuts were consumed: http://www.tourdedonut.com/sweetest_bike_r...t_2008_Ride.htm

You'd be surprised how much bike riding can kill your appetite. I consumed a measly 8 donuts. The winner consumed 25 donuts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Alkek Velodrome Rack Track At 19008 Saums Rd.

Archived