Montrose Boulevard Improvements

A 10-foot sidewalk isn't even particularly wide, especially if it is where bicycles are expected to go. The sidewalks on Main Street downtown are generally 16-20 feet and they still feel narrow in places.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2024 at 5:23 PM, trymahjong said:

I have a 3 wheeled electric bike - one of the grandkids has tiny pedal bike  with train8ng wheels, but you can't forget the double wide stroller that usually comes along to sort of act as guard on the other side for pedal bike........if we all go side by side we take up more than 6 feet wide-- at 10 feet wide, there is possibility of someone else either going in our direction or the opposite direction can also use sidewalk.

This seems to be a hard concept for people to understand.

your scenario is while valid, seems to be a bit of an edge case.

3' sidewalks are unacceptable, they do not even allow for people walking to even pass each other and stay on the sidewalk without getting into personal space. they are far too narrow.

10' is great to provide complete coverage for almost every situation possible, including yours.

5' provides for the most common scenarios, while perhaps still causing issue for the edge cases. people are able to walk on the sidewalk without stepping off to pass people going the other way, and also for groups to walk 2 wide going the same direction. 

3' encourages people to not walk, 5' provides a solution for most who might want to walk and won't discourage people from choosing a walk instead of a drive. 10' is great where there is ROW, but I'd submit if the ROW can support 10' sidewalks on both sides, maybe there should be 5' sidewalk, and 5' bike path, rather than a 10' sidewalk.

• Like 4

On 4/19/2024 at 5:23 PM, trymahjong said:

I have a 3 wheeled electric bike - one of the grandkids has tiny pedal bike  with train8ng wheels, but you can't forget the double wide stroller that usually comes along to sort of act as guard on the other side for pedal bike........if we all go side by side we take up more than 6 feet wide-- at 10 feet wide, there is possibility of someone else either going in our direction or the opposite direction can also use sidewalk.

This seems to be a hard concept for people to understand.

Yeah maybe 6ft is you're standing shoulder to shoulder. Who walks like that though? 

On 4/20/2024 at 8:25 AM, 004n063 said:

A 10-foot sidewalk isn't even particularly wide, especially if it is where bicycles are expected to go. The sidewalks on Main Street downtown are generally 16-20 feet and they still feel narrow in places.

Look at Shepherd/Durham. Plenty of space to walk and ride.

10 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Yeah maybe 6ft is you're standing shoulder to shoulder. Who walks like that though? 

Walking shoulder to shoulder?

For the most part, I find myself walking hand in hand with grandkids on either side who are probably yammering to hold the hand of someone on the other side or the leash of the dog or the handle bars of trainingwheeled bike etc etc etc- you get the idea

10' sidewalks solve a lot of potential walking configurations.

15 hours ago, trymahjong said:

Walking shoulder to shoulder?

For the most part, I find myself walking hand in hand with grandkids on either side who are probably yammering to hold the hand of someone on the other side or the leash of the dog or the handle bars of trainingwheeled bike etc etc etc- you get the idea

10' sidewalks solve a lot of potential walking configurations.

We're prob just misunderstanding each other. I fully support 10ft sidewalks

Gotcha

i have that same problem with the pro- trees =>anti 10 ft sidewalk posters of the Montrose Blvd proposal. 

Geez, like counting hens teeth  to try and present facts to them-- lots of knee jerk snipe shots my way as I seem to be in their cross hairs-- just because, I came to a different conclusion after I read all they had to post but just didn't agree with them.

It didn't seem to take much for those Nextdoor discussion threads to turn dark.

On 4/23/2024 at 12:31 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

Phase 2 funding is being challenged by our mayor. Please let H-GAC know we want these improvements! Send them a quick email: publiccomments@h-gac.com

On 4/23/2024 at 10:02 PM, samagon said:

what does HGAC have to do with Montrose?

I think HGAC represents another route regarding state and/or federal funding. They have tiers regarding plan priorities for projects (one for 20 year plan, one for 10 year, and then one for 4 year).