Ford To Unveil 2007 Expedition This Afternoon At The Houston Auto Show

I was there this morning, at 7:00 am, very nice, but NO DODGE CHALLENGER, and the 2009 CAMARO is just the red mock-up body, no engine, no interior,not the silver one which you may have seen in picutres, that is the real deal, and from what the speaker told me, it is very popular and is making the rounds for advertising and such elsewhere, this red Camaro was a lucky last minute throw in by GM, disappointing. Best vehicle there is the Ford SUPERCHIEF, awesome truck, put a $60k price tag on it and it would sell today ! New Ford replacement for the GT is nice, all chrome, very cool, apparently Ford engineers took all the design cues from their Aston Martin brothers and made their own version of the Vanquish, it won't go to market like that though. Lambourghini and Bentley joined in this year and have their best there to actually get really close too. Try to avoid the Robot that Ford has to help sell the new Fusion, there is some Bozo behind a screen talking to you, don't be fooled. 2007 Tahoe, has really been overhauled, very nice, as well as the Yukon and Escalade, those will definately sell. They will unveil the Expedition at 1:00pm, don't expect too much though.

Edited by TJones

Will the Expedition come with its own ExxonMobil gas card?

The past couple of years I have made it to the Detroit Auto Show, and I simply cannot do Houston anymore. It's so second tier! The thing is, that LA's used to be second tier as well, but this year they made a concerted effort to exponentially increase the number of debuts and concept cars. By most accounts, it was a success. I would love to see the Houston show organizers emulate LA. Would save me a trip to the frigid upper midwest.

Great thing about this auto show though is that GM brought out EVERYTHING, and so did FORD. You get to see the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn SKY, same platforms different grills though. Saturn is IMO nicer. I was a little disappointed with Nissan, only brought out the VERSA, no new Altima or Maxima to look at, just current year models. Jeep, had a good showing and Toyota has the new FJ SUV series on display, nice retro. Alot of "throwbacks" which I absolutely love, car makers have finally realized that people are tried of boxy conveyances and need the stylelines to comeback, and they are now making progress. Just need to work on the gas mileage now.

Here's a sad question, any minivans? Toyota Sienna, esp?

I know....shoot me now...a minivan at an auto show... :blush:

I think you would rather enjoy a peek at a Nissan Quest van. Ford is getting rid of the Freestar, and concentrating on SUVs and wagons. Chrysler, inventor of the minivan has theirs on display.

All in all it's a decent show this year. I thought the Camaro was less impressive in person than in pictures. The Toyota FJ looks cool, but it has the kind of look that would get old really quickly, like the New Beetle. Tjones, I don't think there is a newer version of the Maxima, but it would have been nice if they had the new Sentra at least. The Versa looks a lot like a Renault. It was also surprising they didn't have the Jeep Compass, although the twin Dodge Caliber was on display. Some of the other new models they have were the 'Sclade, Honda Fit, Audi Q7, Toyota Yaris, VW Eos (which wins the award for worst name), and the new Camry, which will soon be everywhere you look.

The saddest display was Buick. They're down to two cars and a minivan, and there was only a couple of old people milling around. It wouldn't be a shock if Buick eventually gets the ax.

I went with my brother and two other friends. Afterward, we were struck by how utterly uninterested we were in any of the Ford or GM products. We even forgot to look at Dodge. But, we looked at probably every Toyota, Mercedes, VW, Lexus and BMW they had.

The American designs are the most uninspired vehicles compared to the foreign brands. It is downright tragic. These companies are going down the tubes right in front of us. I wish they got it. But, as of 2006, it appears they don't.

BTW, I thought the Toyota FJ looked better than in the pictures. And I love the rubber mats instead of carpet. Even the seats can be washed off. If you have dogs or partake in sports or go to the beach, this thing will be a breeze to clean. I like the price, too.

The Porsche Carrera GT looked OK, too. ;)

BTW, I thought the Toyota FJ looked better than in the pictures. And I love the rubber mats instead of carpet. Even the seats can be washed off. If you have dogs or partake in sports or go to the beach, this thing will be a breeze to clean. I like the price, too.

Let's hope that the mirror-mounted spotlights can't be used at speed! If not, they will quickly become as offensive as all the rental Grand Ams out there with their misaimed driving lights blazing bright.

All in all it's a decent show this year. I thought the Camaro was less impressive in person than in pictures. The Toyota FJ looks cool, but it has the kind of look that would get old really quickly, like the New Beetle. Tjones, I don't think there is a newer version of the Maxima, but it would have been nice if they had the new Sentra at least. The Versa looks a lot like a Renault. It was also surprising they didn't have the Jeep Compass, although the twin Dodge Caliber was on display. Some of the other new models they have were the 'Sclade, Honda Fit, Audi Q7, Toyota Yaris, VW Eos (which wins the award for worst name), and the new Camry, which will soon be everywhere you look.

The saddest display was Buick. They're down to two cars and a minivan, and there was only a couple of old people milling around. It wouldn't be a shock if Buick eventually gets the ax.

New Maxima will be out in August, new front and rear bumpers and interior makeover. Will look slightly different than current but nothing big. Reason why the Versa looks like a Renault, well........it kinda is, since Renault is the major stockholder of Nissan, so they have a bit of influence.

Edited by TJones

What are the FJs going for?

Could be a fun vehicle for the beach.

Base sticker said $22,890. I've heard with options, $25K to $30K. Will hit showrooms in March.

BTW, has Isuzu ditched the Rodeo and Trooper and Axiom? All I saw there was something called an Ascender. It's a GMC Envoy with an Isuzu badge. :blink:

I forsee a ton of after market equipment for the FJ. Just like my old CJ7.

But $30K is not that far from $40K. And you can get an LR3 for $40K.

According to several Toyota forums I read about this thing, Toyota has already allowed aftermarket firms to see the plans and take measurements. In a sense, they are open sourcing the vehicle. They expect after market add-ons almost immediately. That is apparently unique in the auto industry, to allow access like that.

BTW, umm, yes, $40K IS that far from $30K. It is a 33% increase from a top of the line FJ to a bottom of the line LR3...about $200 per month on a 5 year note. I can buy a LOT of after market for $10 grand. ;)

Edited by RedScare

Reason why the Versa looks like a Renault, well........it kinda is, since Renault is the major stockholder of Nissan, so they have a bit of influence.

Yep, that was my point. They will sell Nissan-badged Renaults in the US, since the Renault nameplate is toxic here. Renault has built some amazingly ugly cars.

BTW, has Isuzu ditched the Rodeo and Trooper and Axiom? All I saw there was something called an Ascender. It's a GMC Envoy with an Isuzu badge.

That's all that's left of Isuzu in the US. They won't be around here much longer.

BTW, that FJ has to have the blind spot to end all blind spots. A big chuck of the side is covered up.

Base sticker said $22,890. I've heard with options, $25K to $30K. Will hit showrooms in March.

BTW, has Isuzu ditched the Rodeo and Trooper and Axiom? All I saw there was something called an Ascender. It's a GMC Envoy with an Isuzu badge. :blink:

Isuzu is partially owned by GM, and the ongoing rumor has been that they do have plans to phase out Isuzu America in the next few years, something I am disappointed about. However, I have also seen on their website that they plan to bring back the Trooper in '07, so who knows? Being the owner of two Isuzus, one Rodeo and one Trooper, I can say it is a GREAT car company. I have never had any problems with either one. We just replaced the belt on the Trooper ('98) at 80K. The Rodeo ('00) has 68K and we've not had to do a thing to it other than transmission flush and routine maintenance. Both cars have been all over the eastern US from Florida up around to Chicago. I love them. We have looked at an Ascender and are seriously considering it. If Isuzu still made a minivan we would go for it in a heartbeat (was called the "Oasis" and was a Honda Odyssey with an Isuzu badge, stopped making it in 99 or 00). We like the 8-passenger Ascender because it is exactly like the Envoy XL, and you can get it loaded with leather for about $7K cheaper than the Envoy, and have a better car overall.

We are also considering a Toyota Sienna minivan as there are many bells and whistles that make it very kid and family friendly. The Ascender is in the same price range (about 30K), so it will really come down to how it drives, parks, turns, brakes...and the ever essential "car-feel". :D Sort of like mouthfeel, but with your derriere. ^_^

Last year Isuzu sold a little over 12,000 vehicles in the US, the lowest total of any mainstream manufacturer. With that kind of volume it doesn't make economic sense to continue to support a dealer organization. The old Trooper, Axiom and Rodeo were at least Isuzu products, but now they wouldn't sell anything you wouldn't find at a GMC dealer.

My faves from a purchasing perspective were the Audi RS4, Bmw M5, Infiniti M45, and the Acura RL.

My main interest in going was to see the Aston Martins, the Porshe Caymen, and the Toyota FJ.

I've also decided I really don't care for the Lambos and the Lotuses.