The Chaucer: Condominium High-Rise At 2360 Rice Blvd.

hindesky

On 3/2/2024 at 1:47 PM, hindesky said:

Maybe Randall Davis bought this property for his condos?

Randall Davis Company may be closing on the 2360 Rice Boulevard property soon. That is, if it hasn't already. The Blue Ox Group updated its sales listing for the property to "under contract."

County records still show the property is owned by The Oxberry Group.

It's likely once the sale is complete (if it is not already,) county records will show a change in ownership.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2360-Rice-Blvd-Houston-TX/29571892/

https://www.crexi.com/properties/1231582/texas-rice-village-land-17500-sf

fPCnywr.jpeg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 2

There is a Nextdoor post pertaining to neighbors' thoughts on Chaucer / The Chaucer. Predictably, most who've commented aren't pleased about it. Some feel developments like Chaucer are chipping away the charm of the neighborhood. 

As mentioned, Chaucer is one of the latest condominium developments from the Randal Davis Company. It's planned for 2360 Rice Blvd.

Link to the post on Nextdoor:

https://nextdoor.com/p/Qrt8SM63QSZY

• Like 2

On 3/19/2024 at 2:43 PM, houstontexasjack said:

Rendering shown on sales center. My thumb in the foreground.

Vptn1mk.jpeg

On 3/21/2024 at 7:46 AM, ChannelTwoNews said:

Randall Davis Co. unveils plans for Rice Village condo tower - Houston Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2024/03/20/randall-davis-the-chaucer-rice-village-condo-tower.html

50qTlxY.jpeg

hYvOA9l.jpeg

Below are additional renderings of Chaucer. The renderings were recently included to Chaucer's website.

Some of the renderings are closer views of the ones from the Houston Business Journal article ChannelTwoNews shared.

Additionally, the website (as well as the logo Hindesky posted on page one) seem to indicate the name of this development is Chaucer rather than The Chaucer.

Chaucer is one of the latest condominium developments from the Randal Davis Company. It's planned for 2360 Rice Blvd.

https://www.chaucerhouston.com/gallery

BextoY0.jpeg

QTIwraD.jpeg

Front entry
NyNMQxC.jpeg

Kitchen
kV9oQUU.jpeg

Bathroom
opuuXZG.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 10:55 PM, hindesky said:

0jOnraJ.pngR4OMnMQ.png

In recent weeks, Randall Davis Company rolled out the full website for The Chaucer (or may be named Chaucer.) There are additional renderings and floor plans available for viewing.

The email announcement Hindesky shared notes, "[Chauner's] typical floor plans range from 2 bedrooms with 2.5 bathrooms to 3 bedrooms with 3.5 bathrooms, complemented by five luxurious Penthouse residences, resulting in a total of 29 meticulously designed residences."

Below is the floor plan for Levels 5-8.

Levels 5-8

• Hemmingway

• 2 Bedroom
    • 2.5 Bath
    • Study
    • 2,193 sf
    • 127 sf Terrace

• Rowling
    • 2 Bedroom
    • 2.5 Bath
    • 1,863 sf
    • 127 sf Terrace

• Dickens
    • 3 Bedroom
    • 3.5 Bath
    • 2,932 Sf
    • 127 sf Terrace

• Shakespeare
    • 3 Bedroom
    • 2.5 Bath
    • 2,562 sf
    • 127 sf Terrace

pleTiSS.png

• Like 2

In recent weeks, Randall Davis Company rolled out the full website for The Chaucer (or may be named Chaucer.) The website now includes floor plans.

The email announcement Hindesky shared notes, "[Chauner's] typical floor plans range from 2 bedrooms with 2.5 bathrooms to 3 bedrooms with 3.5 bathrooms, complemented by five luxurious Penthouse residences, resulting in a total of 29 meticulously designed residences."

Below is the floor plan for Levels 9-12.

Levels 9-12

• Bronte

• 3 Bedroom
    • 4.5 Bath
    • 3,823 sf
    • 203 sf Terrace

• Wilde

• 3 Bedroom
    • 4.5 Bath
    • 3,823 sf
    • 203 sf Terrace

• Tolstoy
    • 2 Bedroom
    • 2.5 Bath
    • 2,315 sf
    • 149 sf Terrace

5P1KG4T.png

• Like 2

In recent weeks, Randall Davis Company rolled out the full website for The Chaucer (or may be named Chaucer.) The website now includes floor plans.

Below is the floor plan for Level 13.

Level 13 (Two penthouses)

• Chaucer

• 4 Bedroom
    • 4.5 Bath
    • Study
    • 4,632 sf
    • 239 sf Terrace

• Wolfe

• 3 Bedroom
    • 4.5 Bath
    • 4,182 sf
    • 239 sf Terrace

vm3C71u.png

• Like 3

His and Hers bathrooms where Hers is always significantly better really irritates me. Also, why does the toilet need its own door if you're not sharing the entire bathroom with *anyone*?

Why are massive rooms better than more bedrooms/true dedicated home offices? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2024 at 7:14 AM, Texasota said:

His and Hers bathrooms where Hers is always significantly better really irritates me. Also, why does the toilet need its own door if you're not sharing the entire bathroom with *anyone*?

Why are massive rooms better than more bedrooms/true dedicated home offices? 

Also, 'he's' not allowed to take a bath. ONLY SHOWERS FOR THE BOYS!

Interestingly, are some of those 'her' baths wet rooms? (A room where the shower/tub are together behind a door, sort of like Japanese-style bath-rooms). I've always wondered why we don't see that more, because I think they're really neat when done right.

There is a post on Nextdoor from a few days ago regarding plans to protest Chaucer. As mentioned, Chaucer is one of the latest condominium developments from the Randal Davis Company. It's planned for 2360 Rice Boulevard.

A protest is planned for tomorrow (Sunday, April 7.) It will take place in front of the sales office for Chaucer.

Below is the Nextdoor post in full:

Protest the Chaucer Building! Go in person to the sales office (they're having Open houses through this Sunday) or come sign a petition starting at 12pm this Sunday, April 7 outside the sales office.

We cannot let this happen. This will take two years with huge cranes shutting down traffic and hurting small businesses and restaurants. This isn't even for bringing life to the community, it's for wealthy people that want "pied a terre".  In addition, this art deco style building looks like Gringott's Bank (Harry Potter) with a gigantic GOLD front door! Not the look of Rice Village. A building this size (and style) does not belong in our small charming Rice Village. 

https://nextdoor.com/p/psjWpGqNYSRL

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, 004n063 said:

Those poor Southamptonites. Such a downtrodden bunch.

The person who started the protest is from Southgate, not Southampton. So technically it's' "those poor Southgatorades".

So this appears to be more of a "leave my Village alone", than a neighborhood protest, since Southgate is a good distance from this project. But I think the "leave the Village alone" horse has long left the building.

• Haha 5

On 4/6/2024 at 12:44 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Protest the Chaucer Building! Go in person to the sales office (they're having Open houses through this Sunday) or come sign a petition starting at 12pm this Sunday, April 7 outside the sales office.

We cannot let this happen. This will take two years with huge cranes shutting down traffic and hurting small businesses and restaurants. This isn't even for bringing life to the community, it's for wealthy people that want "pied a terre".  In addition, this art deco style building looks like Gringott's Bank (Harry Potter) with a gigantic GOLD front door! Not the look of Rice Village. A building this size (and style) does not belong in our small charming Rice Village. 

https://nextdoor.com/p/psjWpGqNYSRL

Translation: "I got mine. Screw everyone else."  Trés Houston.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 004n063 said:

Those poor Southamptonites. Such a downtrodden bunch.

According to Fannie Mae, the average per capita income in that area is $94,100.

The average per capita income in Houston is $39,521.

Who are these "rich" people they're worried about that aren't themselves?

Is it so awful to have a building full of wealthy people as neighbors?  I once lived in a building with a bunch of state supreme court justices, Jerry Springer, and the ghost of Chris Farley (he died nine floors above me).  They were all perfectly nice, quiet people.  Jerry Springer would even strike up civilized light conversation with my wife in the elevator, and he once handed me an orange in the supermarket when I couldn't decide which one to choose.  (We had a private supermarket on the 42nd floor.)

People just complain to hear themselves make noise.  Unfortunately, on the internet, everyone else gets to listen to their crazy, too.

• Like 2

What is ironic with NIMBYs is that many of the concerns that they refer to are simply about the detrimental effect of the car-centric infrastructure (and associated by-gone mid-20th century policies). 

Just axe the minimums for parking, setbacks, lot sizes, open space, etc, and that creates more incentives for "gentle density" that provides lively environment ... while also "fitting neighborhood character" more easily. It is much easier for developers to build small-scale multifamilies (like 8unit plexes and such) compared to gigantic apartments + parking garages. Most of the concerns that NIMBYs have are rendered moot with reforms on car-centric policies.

However, I am surprised at how many complaints occur with respect to shade cast. Especially considering the summer heat that people often use as an argument against walkability in Houston.

• Like 4

On 4/7/2024 at 8:49 PM, KirbyDriveKid said:

This is art deco now. I dont make the rules.

Dragon on top of Gringotts Bank in Diagon Alley at the Wizarding World of  Harry Potter expansion, Universal Studios, Orlando Stock Photo - Alamy

RD just needs to lean into it. Put a giant dragon on top. Who's gonna stop them? This is H-town, baby!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure why the animosity towards people who ACTUALLY LIVE in the Rice Village area. Many have worked hard and have invested their lives and money into the neighborhood that they call their HOME.  It has been for a CENTURY a VILLAGE of small shops of unique nature which lent charm and the feeling of community to its RESIDENTIAL surroundings.

I am surprised to see that someone has indicated that Randall Davis is about to close with THE OXBERRY GROUP as owners of the property when the Harris County Appraisal District still shows it as owned by a small company and the ground is still classified as a SINGLE FAMILY DWELLING within  the Chaucer STREET neighborhood restrictions. As far as I am aware, unless that property gets a replat on its neighborhood which requires a public notice and hearing any building of a 13 story building is a fantasy. Mind you, the square footage of this lot is 17,500 sqft which is basically two lots wide and is by HCAD records 100x175 feet.  There are in this area HEIGHT limitations and sewer usage additions that would have to be approved long before any building permits  and of course, anyone who chooses can find that the only permit for this property approved as of ten days ago was one for a three story office building to have been completed in 2022 which obviously did not happen.

Further to that, upon asking the Davis company rep what the intended to do about garbage pickup as the plat rendered for the building indicated that it would be wider than possible to allow access for a garbage truck to pickup a dumpster.  The rep said, and I quote " the houses behind here have their garbage picked up on the street". Yes, that is absolutely true, one black wheeled bin on Tuesdays and Green recycled every other. Does Randall Davis expect the neighborhood to deal with thirty black bins sitting on the curb every Tuesday?

And what about traffic? Rice Boulevard is basically two lanes with a center turning lane to help traffic for the SHOPS and the RESTAURANTS and the CHURCH AND ITS DAY SCHOOL access their very limited parking and drop off. Rice is also a main artery for Medical Center due to the confirguration of Greenbriar and Shepherd. A real estate broker I spoker with told me that when Davis built the LONDON HOUSE they blocked off San Felipe and took it to one lane. What damage would that do to the retail in the Village if their parking and access are blocked? They are already operating with very limited parking- it is a VILLAGE.  When viewing the Chaucer's plans they had only reserved 8 guest parking places so where will housekeepers, repair people, friends, healthcare workers, decorators, park? In the shops parking? And what about during construction that will have to involve cranes?  Chaucer Street itself is constantly used for parking both sides and is too narrow for cranes so what RICE Boulevard will be blocked off and people going to the Medical Center will be rerouted through the Rice Campus? I think not.

And what of the MILLION dollar plus homes behind this approximately 175 foot tower? How would you like that looming over your HOME? And, yes, the people who bought there knew they were up against commercial but those commercial lots had HEIGHT RESTRICTIONS  why do you think Hungry's new building is as tall as it is? This height based on the fact they are offering 11 foot ceilings in 2 bedrooms and 13 foot in Penthouses and four floors of parking and the obligatory build up Harris County requires for flooding- OH DID I MENTION FLOODING????? YES, this area floods. The corner of Rice and Morningside has flooded a number of times. The vet office on the corner up to the office, the shops along Rice up to their doors several times. And while this would be a high rise, getting in and out in a flood is impossible.  I personally watched a man kayak down Bolsover.  Has drainage improved? Of course but what do you think will happen to the system when 30 more kitchens and at least 50 more bathrooms are added?

And, for you all that say oh it is progress. Yes, Houston is a growing city. One must only drive out to Fulshear and see what used to be beautiful ranches with horses now cookie cutter houses all basically the same house every fifth one. And before you shred me, I am a NATIVE HOUSTONIAN, born in Hermann Hospital, raised in Oak Forest in a middle class post WWII GI LOAN house.  My Daddy, a Yankee, used to drive us down Sunset to look at the trees on Sundays and then spend a day in Hermann Park.  I am glad he got to know I lived in Southampton , NOT WEST U but part of THE RICE VILLAGE for THIRTY YEARS.  I have seen progress when the largest building was 20 stories went to 49 and was called the Humble Building and the observation tower had a machine that made plastic models of it.  I was around when they converted the cow pasture at Post Oak and Westheimer into the Galleria  and that was 1968!  I have been here when Highway 59 stopped at about Voss and they were widening Highway 45 to Galveston. WAIT!!!!!! They still are widening Highway 45!!!!!

The point I am trying to make is the residents, NOTE I SAY RESIDENTS, of the RICE VILLAGE, which includes RICE University, Southampton,Broadoaks, Southside, Pemberton, and the West U  care about our VILLAGE. We are not afraid of RICH PEOPLE, you are correct in saying most people there are THE RICH PEOPLE and they pay A BOATLOAD of taxes to Houston, Harris County, HISD, and to their individual city entities to have the homes they do. What they don't need or want is a bunch of entitled out-of-towners who don't really want to be part of a VILLAGE to trash, overpopulate, clog up with traffic, or disrespect our century year old community.  By essence the very construction of this monstrosity will kill the retail , the shops, the economy, the ECO SYSTEM as a building of that size will do nothing to help the 100 year old oaks on Bolsover.  This building is not appropriate for this sized lot, the community, or our village and will only serve the line the pockets of egotistical developers.  We are a diverse community of many backgrounds, cultures, religions, and age groups not forgetting it is RICE Village and is part of the UNIVERSITY - students and their interests.

PLEASE, I invite you to do your homework and read about how the Hanover Rice Village got built and HOW Randall Davis promised the same sort of product and got the city of Houston to sell Bolsover to him with promises of a RESIDENTIAL parklike strolling lane which became a COMMERCIAL GARAGE,with  loud, rowdy, drunken brawling street level restaurant clients  and apartments above it  when he backed out, sold out the community by making the OWNED CONDOS into rental units.  We remember it well and all the lovely oak trees sacrificed as well.

Also read about the Randall Davis Diamond Beach development that the Sales office at Chaucer touts perhaps read about how that business unfolded. Maybe talk to owners at Chateau Ten on Sunset and ask did they get what they were promised .  The Sales Office at The Chaucer has a huge disclaimer that says what you are looking at subject to change or cancellation  hmmm  and they are taking contracts on property they do not yet own and have no permits for?   Taking 10% deposits with 2% back if the deal folds when they can get 5% on YOUR MONEY and do nothing.  What kind of cancellation fee DO YOU PAY?   Back to the disclaimer...the groundplat for the building shows a thirty foot residential rear buffer yet the building if one adds the size of the drawings of the apartments makes the building longer than the 22 foot and the 8foot alleyway  behind.  The 8 foot alleyway along three properties behind has been enclosed and fenced since before 1995 so their drawing is inaccurate and would not allow for either garbage pickup or the "over sized dog park" they advertize.  So BUYER BEWARE .  DO YOUR HOMEWORK . This property has NOT according to HCAD RECORDS been replatted and is still a residential  SINGLE FAMILY HOME subject to the same restrictions as the CHAUCER STREET properties which run perpendicular to this lot owned by Rice University and the Christ the King Church and ALL three stories or less.

Why do I care? I lived for thirty years EXACTLY behind this location. I made friends and neighbors here. I have done business and still do business with many of the shops even though I must drive to them and hassle with the parking. I feed my former neighbor's cat when he goes out of town. I buy doggie treats , get my cleaning done, fill my prescriptions, have a coffee, and say hello to those faces I have known for DECADES.  It is still my VILLAGE and I care that the people that live there with their FAMILIES, their cats, their doggies,  have a place that they can call their community .

You cannot allow this building to further destroy the Village .  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Marray said:

I am not sure why the animosity towards people who ACTUALLY LIVE in the Rice Village area. Many have worked hard and have invested their lives and money into the neighborhood that they call their HOME.  It has been for a CENTURY a VILLAGE of small shops of unique nature which lent charm and the feeling of community to its RESIDENTIAL surroundings.

I am surprised to see that someone has indicated that Randall Davis is about to close with THE OXBERRY GROUP as owners of the property when the Harris County Appraisal District still shows it as owned by a small company and the ground is still classified as a SINGLE FAMILY DWELLING within  the Chaucer STREET neighborhood restrictions. As far as I am aware, unless that property gets a replat on its neighborhood which requires a public notice and hearing any building of a 13 story building is a fantasy. Mind you, the square footage of this lot is 17,500 sqft which is basically two lots wide and is by HCAD records 100x175 feet.  There are in this area HEIGHT limitations and sewer usage additions that would have to be approved long before any building permits  and of course, anyone who chooses can find that the only permit for this property approved as of ten days ago was one for a three story office building to have been completed in 2022 which obviously did not happen.

Further to that, upon asking the Davis company rep what the intended to do about garbage pickup as the plat rendered for the building indicated that it would be wider than possible to allow access for a garbage truck to pickup a dumpster.  The rep said, and I quote " the houses behind here have their garbage picked up on the street". Yes, that is absolutely true, one black wheeled bin on Tuesdays and Green recycled every other. Does Randall Davis expect the neighborhood to deal with thirty black bins sitting on the curb every Tuesday?

And what about traffic? Rice Boulevard is basically two lanes with a center turning lane to help traffic for the SHOPS and the RESTAURANTS and the CHURCH AND ITS DAY SCHOOL access their very limited parking and drop off. Rice is also a main artery for Medical Center due to the confirguration of Greenbriar and Shepherd. A real estate broker I spoker with told me that when Davis built the LONDON HOUSE they blocked off San Felipe and took it to one lane. What damage would that do to the retail in the Village if their parking and access are blocked? They are already operating with very limited parking- it is a VILLAGE.  When viewing the Chaucer's plans they had only reserved 8 guest parking places so where will housekeepers, repair people, friends, healthcare workers, decorators, park? In the shops parking? And what about during construction that will have to involve cranes?  Chaucer Street itself is constantly used for parking both sides and is too narrow for cranes so what RICE Boulevard will be blocked off and people going to the Medical Center will be rerouted through the Rice Campus? I think not.

And what of the MILLION dollar plus homes behind this approximately 175 foot tower? How would you like that looming over your HOME? And, yes, the people who bought there knew they were up against commercial but those commercial lots had HEIGHT RESTRICTIONS  why do you think Hungry's new building is as tall as it is? This height based on the fact they are offering 11 foot ceilings in 2 bedrooms and 13 foot in Penthouses and four floors of parking and the obligatory build up Harris County requires for flooding- OH DID I MENTION FLOODING????? YES, this area floods. The corner of Rice and Morningside has flooded a number of times. The vet office on the corner up to the office, the shops along Rice up to their doors several times. And while this would be a high rise, getting in and out in a flood is impossible.  I personally watched a man kayak down Bolsover.  Has drainage improved? Of course but what do you think will happen to the system when 30 more kitchens and at least 50 more bathrooms are added?

And, for you all that say oh it is progress. Yes, Houston is a growing city. One must only drive out to Fulshear and see what used to be beautiful ranches with horses now cookie cutter houses all basically the same house every fifth one. And before you shred me, I am a NATIVE HOUSTONIAN, born in Hermann Hospital, raised in Oak Forest in a middle class post WWII GI LOAN house.  My Daddy, a Yankee, used to drive us down Sunset to look at the trees on Sundays and then spend a day in Hermann Park.  I am glad he got to know I lived in Southampton , NOT WEST U but part of THE RICE VILLAGE for THIRTY YEARS.  I have seen progress when the largest building was 20 stories went to 49 and was called the Humble Building and the observation tower had a machine that made plastic models of it.  I was around when they converted the cow pasture at Post Oak and Westheimer into the Galleria  and that was 1968!  I have been here when Highway 59 stopped at about Voss and they were widening Highway 45 to Galveston. WAIT!!!!!! They still are widening Highway 45!!!!!

The point I am trying to make is the residents, NOTE I SAY RESIDENTS, of the RICE VILLAGE, which includes RICE University, Southampton,Broadoaks, Southside, Pemberton, and the West U  care about our VILLAGE. We are not afraid of RICH PEOPLE, you are correct in saying most people there are THE RICH PEOPLE and they pay A BOATLOAD of taxes to Houston, Harris County, HISD, and to their individual city entities to have the homes they do. What they don't need or want is a bunch of entitled out-of-towners who don't really want to be part of a VILLAGE to trash, overpopulate, clog up with traffic, or disrespect our century year old community.  By essence the very construction of this monstrosity will kill the retail , the shops, the economy, the ECO SYSTEM as a building of that size will do nothing to help the 100 year old oaks on Bolsover.  This building is not appropriate for this sized lot, the community, or our village and will only serve the line the pockets of egotistical developers.  We are a diverse community of many backgrounds, cultures, religions, and age groups not forgetting it is RICE Village and is part of the UNIVERSITY - students and their interests.

PLEASE, I invite you to do your homework and read about how the Hanover Rice Village got built and HOW Randall Davis promised the same sort of product and got the city of Houston to sell Bolsover to him with promises of a RESIDENTIAL parklike strolling lane which became a COMMERCIAL GARAGE,with  loud, rowdy, drunken brawling street level restaurant clients  and apartments above it  when he backed out, sold out the community by making the OWNED CONDOS into rental units.  We remember it well and all the lovely oak trees sacrificed as well.

Also read about the Randall Davis Diamond Beach development that the Sales office at Chaucer touts perhaps read about how that business unfolded. Maybe talk to owners at Chateau Ten on Sunset and ask did they get what they were promised .  The Sales Office at The Chaucer has a huge disclaimer that says what you are looking at subject to change or cancellation  hmmm  and they are taking contracts on property they do not yet own and have no permits for?   Taking 10% deposits with 2% back if the deal folds when they can get 5% on YOUR MONEY and do nothing.  What kind of cancellation fee DO YOU PAY?   Back to the disclaimer...the groundplat for the building shows a thirty foot residential rear buffer yet the building if one adds the size of the drawings of the apartments makes the building longer than the 22 foot and the 8foot alleyway  behind.  The 8 foot alleyway along three properties behind has been enclosed and fenced since before 1995 so their drawing is inaccurate and would not allow for either garbage pickup or the "over sized dog park" they advertize.  So BUYER BEWARE .  DO YOUR HOMEWORK . This property has NOT according to HCAD RECORDS been replatted and is still a residential  SINGLE FAMILY HOME subject to the same restrictions as the CHAUCER STREET properties which run perpendicular to this lot owned by Rice University and the Christ the King Church and ALL three stories or less.

Why do I care? I lived for thirty years EXACTLY behind this location. I made friends and neighbors here. I have done business and still do business with many of the shops even though I must drive to them and hassle with the parking. I feed my former neighbor's cat when he goes out of town. I buy doggie treats , get my cleaning done, fill my prescriptions, have a coffee, and say hello to those faces I have known for DECADES.  It is still my VILLAGE and I care that the people that live there with their FAMILIES, their cats, their doggies,  have a place that they can call their community .

Nah

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Didn't bother to read but here's what ChatGPT had to say:

This passionate statement expresses concerns about proposed developments in the Rice Village area, focusing on a specific property owned by Randall Davis. The author emphasizes the historical significance of the neighborhood, its unique charm, and the investment of its residents. They argue against the potential construction of a 13-story building due to various reasons:

1. The current property ownership status according to the Harris County Appraisal District.
  2. Zoning and building restrictions, including height limitations and sewer usage.
  3. Concerns about garbage pickup logistics and increased traffic congestion.
  4. Potential negative impact on nearby residential areas, including blocking views and exacerbating flooding issues.
  5. Criticism of past developments by Randall Davis and skepticism about promises made for future projects.
  6. Issues with the accuracy of building plans and potential discrepancies with existing infrastructure.
  7. Personal investment in the community and desire to preserve its character and quality of life.

Overall, the author urges readers to research the proposed development and consider its potential consequences for the Rice Village community. They emphasize the importance of community cohesion and preservation in the face of rapid urban development.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Marray said:

Cities grow and change. Get over it.

• Like 2

Imagine whining about a luxury mid-rise going up in your neighborhood thats in the dead center of the 4th largest city in America....meanwhile, some people in Houston are living in cancer clusters fighting a years long battle (Kashmere Gardens/Deer Park/etc), some people are losing/lost their home due to eminent domain, some/A LOT of people aren't even able to buy homes in this economy. I understand we all have a right to an opinion and thats what this platform was intended for, but omg the entitlement???

• Mentioning that the homes behind it are a "MILLION DOLLARS" is somehow supposed to make us shed a tear?
  • Finding a way to also criticize a suburb (Fulshear) by saying its all cutie cutter now 
  • Daddy was a Yankee? Ok, does he want a cookie? Sorry to break it to you, but that doesn't make your argument more important than anyone else.

May this building grow another 2 stories 🙏

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Marray said:

I am surprised to see that someone has indicated that Randall Davis is about to close with THE OXBERRY GROUP as owners of the property when the Harris County Appraisal District still shows it as owned by a small company and the ground is still classified as a SINGLE FAMILY DWELLING within  the Chaucer STREET neighborhood restrictions.

First off, welcome to Houston Architecture Information Forum. Secondly, regarding the sale of 2360 Rice Boulevard, I want to be clear that my initial post was speculation.

It is true the county clerk's database doesn't show a recent change in ownership. However, LoopNet shows the property is under contract. And since Randall Davis announced plans for Chaucer, my assumption is Oxberry Group may be close to selling the property to Davis. 

• Like 1