Galveston Electric Amusement Park On Beach Blvd.

foxmulder

Anyone remember Electric park in galveston? Any info on it? i heard they had a good wooden coaster.

Whoa thats WAAAY back.

Was it behind the old Buccanner, because I have an old world atlas from 1942 that has a picture of galveston seawall from about Menard Park eastward and there is a huge coaster behind the old hotel.

Edited by CE_ugh
  • Like 1

Anyone remember Electric park in galveston? Any info on it? i heard they had a good wooden coaster.

I saw one of those Houston, Remember When episodes a long time ago on Channel 8 and they mentioned it.

It was called the Mountain Speedway. Seems like there was a weird story about someone living in a house under the coaster.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I vaguely remember a rusted chain link fence, with remains of an old amusement park on the sea wall in Galveston, when I was small. Maybe it was Electric Park remains...my mom talked about one that used to be there.

• Like 1

I vaguely remember a rusted chain link fence, with remains of an old amusement park on the sea wall in Galveston, when I was small. Maybe it was Electric Park remains...my mom talked about one that used to be there.

The Rosenberg Library in Galvez is usually a great source to start in research. You could spend weeks inside of that place. We worship the place. :D

http://www.galveston.com/rosenberglibrary/

http://www.rosenberg-library.org/

• Like 1

• 14 years later...

I was reading the newspaper The Houston Post dated July 2, 1908 and came across a 2nd amusement park in the Houston area that was called Electric Park.   I wondered what the deal was with the two amusement parks with the same name so I went to Wikipedia: Electric Park was a name shared by dozens of amusement parks in the United States that were constructed as trolley parks and owned by electric companies and streetcar companies.

Electric Park (The Home of Pure Fun)
Every Minute an Hour of Pleasure
and Every Hour a Day of Happiness.

25-High Class Attractions-25.
Including the Tickler, Figure 8, Aerial Swing, Carry-Us-All, Lyceum Theater, Nickelodeon, Acme Theater, Box Ball Alleys, Pathe Theaters, Pool and Billiard Parlors, Automatic Shooting Gallery, Palm Garden and Café, Rocky Mountain Tavern, Mexican Restaurant, Japanese Roley Poley, Lone Star Theater, Ice Cream Parlor, Penny Arcade.

Over 100.000 Have Ridden
The Mammoth Aerial Swing
Have You? ... If not- Why not?

Electric Park Café.
In Electric Park Pavilion. The place where everything is good and the waiters polite- Music.
Frederickson & Stanich - Proprietors

Ride On The Figure 8 Roller Coaster.
The One Big Thriller on the Beach

3FeaE8w.png

The newspaper Galveston Tribune dated May 29, 1906 had an ad for a retail café in the Electric Park that had a location of Beech Boulevard and Tremont.  I am not sure of a present-day location of sorts.  Do they mean the Tremont House area? The Tremont House (the rebuild) is located at present-day 2300 Ship Mechanic Row Street.  I am not sure of the location of the original Tremont House that burned down in the late 1800s or early 1900s. 

Electric Park Cafe
Beach Boulevard and Tremont.

We serve meals to order. Excellent service and everything first-class.  Courteous and careful attention given to all.
Family Trade Specially Catered to.
Fine Wines, Liquors, Cigars, and Beer Bottles.
Frederickson & Stanich - Proprietors

frJhIdx.png

• The title was changed to Galveston Electric Amusement Park On Beach Blvd.
  • The title was changed to Galveston Electric Park On Beach Blvd.
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/19/2006 at 11:05 PM, gnu said:

I saw one of those Houston, Remember When episodes a long time ago on Channel 8 and they mentioned it.

It was called the Mountain Speedway. Seems like there was a weird story about someone living in a house under the coaster.

The Mountain Speedway roller coaster in Galveston was built by the same company that built Houston's Luna Park coaster. The Houston coaster was huge and covered a very large area. It was reduced in size and moved from just north of downtown to Playland Park, S. Main location.