Three Aides Of Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo Indicted; Will This Doom Her Reelection Prospects In November?

Blue Dogs

8 hours ago, august948 said:

Shostakovich was more of a survivor than a communist.

What was the old saying?  Everyone was a Communist until they weren't?  A fine lesson for these days--it always seems to catch up with you when you have ideologues in charge.

Maybe you should be watching KHOU?

Not since they left the neighborhood.  I still feel jilted.

You know full well that this is not the first time in her life Alex has been sitting pretty.  I provided photographic proof of that earlier in this thread.

To each his or her own . . . but I'd say you have, er, quite the unique taste there, Augie.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, august948 said:

I missed this point and only caught it while rereading.  I can see how a truly leftist government would mean an economy entirely ruled by the government, but am not seeing how a MAGA government would mean the same thing.  Surely you're not suggesting that MAGA is in fact the full-fledged fascist philosophy that Democratic party propaganda claims?

MAGA has made clear that cronyism and punishing and rewarding corporations for their political views is A-OK, and it's only becoming more apparent.  It may not be centralized production, but they're not shying away from direct government involvement in the private sector AT ALL.  

Once you throw in Fashy standard-bearers like Trump, Ted Cruz, MTG, the list goes on and on, the obsession with law enforcement (see above), overthrowing elections due to feelz, cosplay militia obsessions, penchant for book banning, and weird infatuations with other people's sex lives (abortion, gender, etc.), and, I don't know, it rates at least a 75% on my Fashy scale--with it being heavily weighted towards where the party has signaled it wants to be headed, of course (i.e., less Liz Cheney and more JD "Why Not Kill Em All" Vance).

Edited by mattyt36

45 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

MAGA has made clear that cronyism and punishing and rewarding corporations for their political views is A-OK, and it's only becoming more apparent.  It may not be centralized production, but they're not shying away from direct government involvement in the private sector AT ALL.  

Once you throw in Fashy standard-bearers like Trump, Ted Cruz, MTG, the list goes on and on, the obsession with law enforcement (see above), overthrowing elections due to feelz, cosplay militia obsessions, and weird infatuations with other people's sex lives (abortion, gender, etc.), and, I don't know, it rates at least a 75% on my Fashy scale--with it being heavily weighted towards where the party has signaled it wants to be headed, of course (i.e., less Liz Cheney and more JD "Why Not Kill Em All" Vance).

Shall we ask the My Pillow guy about how that works?

The whole centralized control of everything was a salient feature of fascism.  That's why calling someone a fascist or nazi is meaningless nowadays.  It's just become a empty pejorative that one side always throws at the other.

1 hour ago, august948 said:

Shall we ask the My Pillow guy about how that works?

The whole centralized control of everything was a salient feature of fascism.  That's why calling someone a fascist or nazi is meaningless nowadays.  It's just become a empty pejorative that one side always throws at the other.

Augie if you think the most salient feature of Fascism is government control of the economy, and not, er, all the general “vibes” and aesthetics well, I think you miss the point.  The truth of the matter is plenty of Republicans (and certainly party media) are speaking in the same themes as a long line of sordid authoritarians who are manufacturing a crisis as an excuse to assume more power. If you think because they don’t say “We’re going to take over Ford like the Nazis took over Volkswagen” somehow distinguishes them from otherwise having the same general tone and intentions of their Fashy forbears, well, again, I’d say you’re missing the point entirely. 

And to imply that there is some universally accepted Fascist political philosophy like the one you can point to in The Communist Manifesto is nonsense—the philosophy is the aesthetic, end of story.

(I must say BTW that this is a tad bit disturbing as the implication seems to be you’re OK with the aesthetic as long as they don’t nationalize the economy. Man the Republicans who came of age under Reagan are a weird bunch. I see the new Tucker talking point is “How can it be Fascism if the people vote for it?” I suppose you subscribe to that gem, too.)

Edited by mattyt36

2 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Augie if you think the most salient feature of Fascism is government control of the economy, and not, er, all the general “vibes” and aesthetics well, I think you miss the point.  The truth of the matter is plenty of Republicans (and certainly party media) are speaking in the same themes as a long line of sordid authoritarians who are manufacturing a crisis as an excuse to assume more power. If you think because they don’t say “We’re going to take over Ford like the Nazis took over Volkswagen” somehow distinguishes them from otherwise having the same general tone and intentions of their Fashy forbears, well, again, I’d say you’re missing the point entirely. 

And to imply that there is some universally accepted Fascist political philosophy like the one you can point to in The Communist Manifesto is nonsense—the philosophy is the aesthetic, end of story.

(I must say BTW that this is a tad bit disturbing as the implication seems to be you’re OK with the aesthetic as long as they don’t nationalize the economy. Man the Republicans who came of age under Reagan are a weird bunch. I see the new Tucker talking point is “How can it be Fascism if the people vote for it?” I suppose you subscribe to that gem, too.)

I think you need to read my second sentence again (again).

Fascism is a fairly well defined, documented, and researched political and economic order.  It's not just about aesthetics. It's about total control of society and squashing all forms of dissent.  But how it's used in the media is just as a way to smear anyone who doesn't toe the Democratic party line.  Unfortunately, there are many who have bought into the propaganda and can't distinguish the difference.

Since we both can recall the Reagan era, you might remember that every Republican leader has been impugned this way since at least that point.  And it becomes especially pointed when that leader is popular and a threat to Democratic party control.  Thus, once we're done with the Trump era, Trump will be forgotten and the next Republican leader will be given the same treatment for the same reason.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

What was the old saying?  Everyone was a Communist until they weren't?  A fine lesson for these days--it always seems to catch up with you when you have ideologues in charge.

Not since they left the neighborhood.  I still feel jilted.

To each his or her own . . . but I'd say you have, er, quite the unique taste there, Augie.

I do have to say that I like girls with guns.  But then I like girls with curly hair, too.  Bonus point to Alex, though, as I just noticed she has a roll of gorilla tape molle'd to her tactical vest.

57 minutes ago, august948 said:

Fascism is a fairly well defined, documented, and researched political and economic order. 

wrong-trump.gif

(Although I'm sure your conception is the preferred one these days amongst the right-wing propaganda machine . . . they're smart enough to know Fascism has a negative connotation so they have to point out that this just isn't it.  The level of energy you're spending insisting it (1) involves total economic control even from its paleo stages; and (2) that this movement now can't possibly morph into something similar is telling.  Fascism is authoritarian, ergo it is corrupt, ergo there are few principles other than getting and maintaining power and punishing opponents.  MAGA has proven time and time again how rife for corruption it is and to imply that there is not even a real chance that it morphs into whatever this latest brand is ("Neo-Fascism" anyone?) is naive and laughable, unless you are an ideologue, of course.) 

Definitions of fascism - Wikipedia

What constitutes a definition of fascism and fascist governments has been a complicated and highly disputed subject concerning the exact nature of fascism and its core tenets debated amongst historians, political scientists, and other scholars since Benito Mussolini first used the term in 1915. Historian Ian Kershaw once wrote that "trying to define 'fascism' is like trying to nail jelly to the wall".[1]

In his 1995 essay "Ur-Fascism", cultural theorist Umberto Eco lists fourteen general properties of fascist ideology.[23] He argues that it is not possible to organise these into a coherent system, but that "it is enough that one of them be present to allow fascism to coagulate around it". He uses the term "ur-fascism" as a generic description of different historical forms of fascism. The fourteen properties are as follows:

"The cult of tradition", characterized by cultural syncretism, even at the risk of internal contradiction. When all truth has already been revealed by tradition, no new learning can occur, only further interpretation and refinement.
"The rejection of modernism", which views the rationalistic development of Western culture since the Enlightenment as a descent into depravity. Eco distinguishes this from a rejection of superficial technological advancement, as many fascist regimes cite their industrial potency as proof of the vitality of their system.
"The cult of action for action's sake", which dictates that action is of value in itself and should be taken without intellectual reflection. This, says Eco, is connected with anti-intellectualism and irrationalism, and often manifests in attacks on modern culture and science.
"Disagreement is treason" – fascism devalues intellectual discourse and critical reasoning as barriers to action, as well as out of fear that such analysis will expose the contradictions embodied in a syncretistic faith.
"Fear of difference", which fascism seeks to exploit and exacerbate, often in the form of racism or an appeal against foreigners and immigrants.
"Appeal to a frustrated middle class", fearing economic pressure from the demands and aspirations of lower social groups.
"Obsession with a plot" and the hyping-up of an enemy threat. This often combines an appeal to xenophobia with a fear of disloyalty and sabotage from marginalized groups living within the society (such as the German elite's "fear" of the 1930s Jewish populace's businesses and well-doings; see also antisemitism). Eco also cites Pat Robertson's book The New World Order as a prominent example of a plot obsession.

Fascist societies rhetorically cast their enemies as "at the same time too strong and too weak". On the one hand, fascists play up the power of certain disfavored elites to encourage in their followers a sense of grievance and humiliation. On the other hand, fascist leaders point to the decadence of those elites as proof of their ultimate feebleness in the face of an overwhelming popular will.

"Pacifism is trafficking with the enemy" because "life is permanent warfare" – there must always be an enemy to fight.

Both fascist Germany under Hitler and Italy under Mussolini worked first to organize and clean up their respective countries and then build the war machines that they later intended to and did use, despite Germany being under restrictions of the Versailles treaty to not build a military force. This principle leads to a fundamental contradiction within fascism: the incompatibility of ultimate triumph with perpetual war.

"Contempt for the weak", which is uncomfortably married to a chauvinistic popular elitism, in which every member of society is superior to outsiders by virtue of belonging to the in-group. Eco sees in these attitudes the root of a deep tension in the fundamentally hierarchical structure of fascist polities, as they encourage leaders to despise their underlings, up to the ultimate leader, who holds the whole country in contempt for having allowed him to overtake it by force.

"Everybody is educated to become a hero", which leads to the embrace of a cult of death. As Eco observes, "[t]he Ur-Fascist hero is impatient to die. In his impatience, he more frequently sends other people to death."

"Machismo", which sublimates the difficult work of permanent war and heroism into the sexual sphere. Fascists thus hold "both disdain for women and intolerance and condemnation of nonstandard sexual habits, from chastity to homosexuality".

"Selective populism" – the people, conceived monolithically, have a common will, distinct from and superior to the viewpoint of any individual. As no mass of people can ever be truly unanimous, the leader holds himself out as the interpreter of the popular will (though truly he dictates it). Fascists use this concept to delegitimize democratic institutions they accuse of "no longer represent[ing] the voice of the people".

"Newspeak" – fascism employs and promotes an impoverished vocabulary in order to limit critical reasoning.

SOUND FAMILIAR?

Edited by mattyt36

58 minutes ago, august948 said:

I do have to say that I like girls with guns.  But then I like girls with curly hair, too.  Bonus point to Alex, though, as I just noticed she has a roll of gorilla tape molle'd to her tactical vest.

Well, we all have our neuroses, I suppose.

Trigger Warning: Former ABC 13 KTRK-TV Houston Eyewitness News TV Anchor Dave Ward endorsing Mealer for Harris County Judge. 

Confident the GOP wave will be massive across the Lone Star State & the entire United States. 

Some time before stepping down at 13, Ward signed off one night as David Ward, explaining it was his real name and he was tired of not being able to use it, or something like that. It made the news the next day (Chron) but didn't last long as his employer made him return to using Dave until his (already announced I think) retirement.

Makes sense from the company's point of view, of course, as they had spent years and years and who knows how much in promotional efforts promoting their lead anchor as 'Dave Ward,' not David. 

So maybe he's the one who suggested or even demanded that he be referred to as David.

Edited by brucesw
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, brucesw said:

Some time before stepping down at 13, Ward signed off one night as David Ward, explaining it was his real name and he was tired of not being able to use it, or something like that. It made the news the next day (Chron) but didn't last long as his employer made him return to using Dave until his (already announced I think) retirement.

Makes sense from the company's point of view, of course, as they had spent years and years and who knows how much in promotional efforts promoting their lead anchor as 'Dave Ward,' not David. 

So maybe he's the one who suggested or even demanded that he be referred to as David.

Sounds like we'll find out more juicy secrets at ABC 13 down the road. 

On 10/4/2022 at 9:08 AM, Blue Dogs said:

Trigger Warning: Former ABC 13 KTRK-TV Houston Eyewitness News TV Anchor Dave Ward endorsing Mealer for Harris County Judge. 

Confident the GOP wave will be massive across the Lone Star State & the entire United States. 

Indeed, consider me TRIGGERED.

Always good to get the endorsement of zombies.  Will definitely mobilize that burgeoning population.  Hope they have Voter ID.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, brucesw said:

Interesting, particularly since he opted to stick with "Dave" on his personal website.

He does mention on his bio page there that he originally became "Dave" at his first broadcasting job as a drive-time DJ, as the station manager thought "David" sounded too biblical. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

And, IIRC, guns don’t work against those, so you must really find that confounding there, Augie.

Not at all...as I understand it, shotguns are very effective so I'm well covered there.  I've also heard that wearing one of these will make their heads explode...

118-1186375_make-america-great-again-hat

7 hours ago, august948 said:

Not at all...as I understand it, shotguns are very effective so I'm well covered there.  I've also heard that wearing one of these will make their heads explode...

118-1186375_make-america-great-again-hat

Yes, I must say the people who wear those things do look and act like they would wholly believe such a thing, so I can't say I'm surprised.

I was shocked that the Chronicle endorsed Mealer. The entire piece reads like it was written by people who haven't been paying attention to what's happening. If Mealer is elected, and Cagle and Ramsey are still there, we will end up with crappy county government that will ignore the poor and spend as much money as possible for the benefit of the rich people who speak the loudest. Cagle and Ramsey have already shown how clueless they are on budgeting, and I don't think Mealer has a clue on that either with the "we can come up with $100 million for 1,000 law enforcement officers without raising taxes" thing. Where is she going to cut? What services are going to be removed?

19 hours ago, Ross said:

I was shocked that the Chronicle endorsed Mealer. The entire piece reads like it was written by people who haven't been paying attention to what's happening. If Mealer is elected, and Cagle and Ramsey are still there, we will end up with crappy county government that will ignore the poor and spend as much money as possible for the benefit of the rich people who speak the loudest. Cagle and Ramsey have already shown how clueless they are on budgeting, and I don't think Mealer has a clue on that either with the "we can come up with $100 million for 1,000 law enforcement officers without raising taxes" thing. Where is she going to cut? What services are going to be removed?

In a very short period of time, she is getting flooded with money while Hidalgo is getting subjected to coordinated harassment.  Now this bizarre endorsement.

People can yap about crime all they want, but this election is, first and foremost, about turning over the County's voting system to the State.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Blue Dogs said:

Bill King endorsing Mealer for Harris County Judge. 

Former TX Supreme Court Justice Eva Guzman (R) also endorsing Mealer as well.

But whom has the San Antonio Express-News endorsed?

Why is she so averse to red?  Shame issues?

Is that the reason she also seems to use so much foundation?  She's beginning to look like a Munster.  It's almost like . . . they're deliberately . . . trying to . . . make her look . . . white?!  NAH, surely that can't be the case!!!!!  

I prefer the more natural, Rosie O'Donnell look.  (I wonder if she'll be able to keep the weight off in addition to her newly found "whiter-ness"?)

Alex-Mealer.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Edited by mattyt36

Schizophrenia is a terrible disease.  

Beto O'Rourke for Texas governor: Houston Chronicle Editorial Board

Since @Blue Dogs is such a fan of endorsements (who has the time these days to think for one's self, really?!), I suppose he'll just have to hold his nose and vote for Beto.  

(Also in today's edition, a great photo of Lily Munster with short hair here.  Maybe she should get props for none of that caked-on makeup running off her face from sweat during the hot Houston summer.  Also, where's her gun?)

ratio3x2_1200.jpg

Edited by mattyt36

8 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Schizophrenia is a terrible disease.  

Beto O'Rourke for Texas governor: Houston Chronicle Editorial Board

Since @Blue Dogs is such a fan of endorsements (who has the time these days to think for one's self, really?!), I suppose he'll just have to hold his nose and vote for Beto.  

(Also in today's edition, a great photo of Lily Munster with short hair here.  Maybe she should get props for none of that caked-on makeup running off her face from sweat during the hot Houston summer.  Also, where's her gun?)

ratio3x2_1200.jpg

The Houston Chronicle endorsement of Beto proves they've totally lost their minds so any endorsements they make can be safely discounted.

As for her gun, perhaps just her presence reduces crime in whatever part of Harris county she happens to be at the moment? 

Or could be there's a 30.05 sign posted at the entrance to the establishment she's pictured at.  Could be her holster is in the 6 o'clock position.  And, of course, you can't see either of her hands.

14 hours ago, august948 said:

The Houston Chronicle endorsement of Beto proves they've totally lost their minds so any endorsements they make can be safely discounted.

As for her gun, perhaps just her presence reduces crime in whatever part of Harris county she happens to be at the moment? 

Or could be there's a 30.05 sign posted at the entrance to the establishment she's pictured at.  Could be her holster is in the 6 o'clock position.  And, of course, you can't see either of her hands.

Disappointed, Augie, I would've thought your hypothesis would've been FEM BOT.

tumblr_p82nnaWIq71xnd7r6o1_640.gif

• Haha 1

ROFLMAO...Judge Hidalgo gets Hanoi Jane to campaign for her!!!  🤣🤣🤣

Jane Fonda block walks with Lina Hidalgo ahead of early voting

In a city filled with people who fled the communist regime in Vietnam, I'm not sure whether inviting Hanoi Jane to campaign shows a complete lack of judgement or if Hidalgo and staff are just too young and clueless to know who this elderly white California liberal is.  I can't wait to see how this gets written up in the local Vietnamese newspaper.

politics hanoi jane Memes & GIFs - Imgflip

Edited by august948
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2