Modera Houston Ave: Multifamily At 1309 Houston Ave.

hindesky

Is the school a block up still actually used? If not, another great spot for apartments. Other good spots: 

• The rest of the block between Dart, the tracks, and the newer townhouses
  • Block surrounded by Dart, Colorado, Edwards, and Johnson
  • Giant parking lot east of Winter Street Studios
  • Block between henderson, winter, white, and summer
  • Block between Hickory, Dart, and the fire station
  • Area north of Elder Street Lofts
  • Area between Elder St, Dart, 45, and Ecclesia
  • Industrial land between Houston, Spring, and I-10
  • Some of the other remaining industrial land north of Spring St
  • Suburban nonsense between Crockett, Sawyer, and I-10
  • Chick-Fil-A

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Is the school a block up still actually used? If not, another great spot for apartments. Other good spots: 

• The rest of the block between Dart, the tracks, and the newer townhouses
  • Block surrounded by Dart, Colorado, Edwards, and Johnson
  • Giant parking lot east of Winter Street Studios
  • Block between henderson, winter, white, and summer
  • Block between Hickory, Dart, and the fire station
  • Area north of Elder Street Lofts
  • Area between Elder St, Dart, 45, and Ecclesia
  • Industrial land between Houston, Spring, and I-10
  • Some of the other remaining industrial land north of Spring St
  • Suburban nonsense between Crockett, Sawyer, and I-10
  • Chick-Fil-A

Funny juxtaposition between my comment and yours. I live here, and just hope the area becomes fully rounded with all types uses. I actually would like to see more offices and urban retail type establishments.

The Brock School is lightly used by HISD but certainly can be used more effectively. Might need to be a future Middle school.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, TrainTrak said:

I hope this new apartment complex means the pedestrian crossing under the railroad along Houston Ave. will be cleaned more frequently, and possibly improved so that someone with a stroller or in a wheel chair could use it.

I tried walking my bicycle through there once but found it littered with human excrement and had to tread carefully. It also has steps on each end of the little tunnel.

What's going to happen to the rest of the Montalbano proper to the west of this plat? I just visited an open house on Dart this past weekend with a 4th floor patio with great downtown views. Although the noted plat doesn't block the townhome's view of downtown, I can't imagine the remaining Montalbano property will stay as-is for long. The townhome is listed mid $600k now. I wonder how much would losing the downtown view affect it's value.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hindesky said:

I tried walking my bicycle through there once but found it littered with human excrement and had to tread carefully. It also has steps on each end of the little tunnel.

Yikes, that's unfortunate to hear. I just checked the street view around that underpass and there's a guy standing there looking at the new townhome construction. It makes sense that this is a north-south pedestrian corridor. I wonder from where and to where are they going.

Edited by AFriendlyNeighbor

2 hours ago, hindesky said:

The warehouse Buffalo Real Estate Partners listed is now under contract. I would assume Modera would want to add it to their new property next door.

https://buffalorep.com/listing/231-Land-1615-Dart-St-Houston-Tx-77007-Call-For-Pricing/

ENqXgx3.png

OWl6slO.png

The link you provided seems to be talking about Track B - 2.3 Acres... However there is a track A that is 1.5 Acres. Are both under contract?

I wouldnt be so sure this is Mill Creek - if these tracks both are U/C this is plenty of space for 2 large scale midrises... potentially 3!

image.png.07e635ee7a06a0adc365289ee1692f2a.png

• The title was changed to Modera Houston Ave: Multifamily At 1309 Houston Ave.
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2022 at 9:43 AM, hindesky said:

This is the nasty tunnel on Houston Ave.

FGnhdxa.png

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, hindesky said:

This is the nasty tunnel on Houston Ave.

FGnhdxa.png

I walk through it a week ago and it was much better!

though it will need to be consistently cleaned. Perhaps the new apartment will bring needed maintenance!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2022 at 5:10 PM, hindesky said:

Still a working business, don't see any hurry to close it down soon. The warehouse next door seems to be for sale, it's between another section of Montalbano Lumber on Dart St.

9DWARjb.jpg

ZtQ5NcL.jpg

ZuKj9Uf.jpg

"I'll have some tin sheds with a couple of egg cartons on the side..."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

"Montalbano Lumber, a fixture in Houston’s First Ward, plans to move its flagship store on Houston Avenue, where it’s operated for 123 years, setting the stage for more changes near downtown.

Owners said they expect to move this year to a larger location with an expanded showroom at 7030 Neuhaus, just west of Hobby Airport. An opening date hasn't been determined."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/montalbano-lumber-move-houston-first-ward-18193525.php

• Like 4

@hindesky you beat me to it, but also important in the article is this quote.

"So far, though, the landowner, which appears to be an affiliate of Pinto Realty Partners, hasn't announced plans for the site. The owners had considered building an apartment complex known as the Modera Houston Avenue on the property, but that deal fell through, said Ernie Cockrell, founder of Pinto Realty, in an email. He did not respond to follow-up questions about what could be in store for the site after Montalbano Lumber vacates."

Edited by Justin Welling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

"Montalbano Lumber – one of Houston’s oldest lumberyards that has been a staple in the First Ward for 123 years – has decided to keep its flagship Houston Avenue location open, welcome news for neighborhood preservationists.

In July, Montalbano Lumber announced it planned to close its original lumberyard at 1309 Houston Ave., sparking concerns among area residents about the future of the site in the fast-evolving neighborhood."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/montalbano-lumber-houston-avenue-open-18367575.php

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, hindesky said:

In July, Montalbano Lumber announced it planned to close its original lumberyard at 1309 Houston Ave., sparking concerns among area residents about the future of the site in the fast-evolving neighborhood."

Is this a joke?

On 5/21/2022 at 2:55 PM, Avossos said:

It looks to be a townhome farm on both sides of Dart Street!

Exactly!

• 3 months later...

Exciting news, Montalbano has moved out of the western portion of the property. I guess the move down to Hobby area is on. PRGIF owns all the proepties both the main portion fronting Houston Ave. and the western Dart St. portion. Looked up who PRGIF is and it turns out to be Pint Realty Growth And Income Fund. They own a whole bunch of properties in the west 11th St area where at least two apartments are being built including the McNair property and several properties on Jensen St.

Cleaned out Dart St. western portion.

wT2jwhB.jpg

B1gO2fN.jpg

5XLr3XF.png

fXvIcVp.png

ROY7z39.png

oElzydi.pngYGEygn6.png

0u86Qho.png

AVIS7UP.png

Houston Chronicle story about the move written back in July, '23.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/montalbano-lumber-move-houston-first-ward-18193525.php

• Like 4