Metro OKs $22M deal to buy its first 20 electric buses, aims to start carrying passengers next year

BeerNut

Metro OKs $22M deal to buy its first 20 electric buses, aims to start carrying passengers next year

Board members Thursday approved a $22 million contract for 20 new buses and chargers that will operate along two routes that cross at the Texas Medical Center. They will be the first all-electric buses the Metropolitan Transit Agency has added to its roughly 1,200-bus inventory.

• Like 5

@pokemonizepicIt will be Nova. From one of the Service Operations Meeting back on 11/11, “Request Board authorization for the President & CEO to execute a contract with Nova Bus (US) Inc. for the purchase of twenty (20) electric buses and chargers”. You can look at Nova's website to see what their electric buses look like. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Justin Welling said:

@pokemonizepicIt will be Nova. From one of the Service Operations Meeting back on 11/11, “Request Board authorization for the President & CEO to execute a contract with Nova Bus (US) Inc. for the purchase of twenty (20) electric buses and chargers”. You can look at Nova's website to see what their electric buses look like. 

https://novabus.com/blog/bus/lfse/

lfse_front_driver_1920x1080_72dpi-1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Jay123 said:

When are the first electric buses arriving?I thought metro had said by December?

I've seen electric Metro buses on the streets for a while now.  They don't look any different, other than having a sticker under the driver's window stating that they're electric.

1 hour ago, editor said:

I've seen electric Metro buses on the streets for a while now.  They don't look any different, other than having a sticker under the driver's window stating that they're electric.

I am like 10% confident in my comment here, but it was my understanding that those buses are diesel-electric hybrids? As in, the diesel motor does nothing but generate electricity. 

The new NOVA buses would be electric only and require charging.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wilcal said:

I am like 10% confident in my comment here, but it was my understanding that those buses are diesel-electric hybrids? As in, the diesel motor does nothing but generate electricity. 

The new NOVA buses would be electric only and require charging.

That's entirely possible.  I've noticed that some of them still have tailpipes coming out of the top of them.  I didn't know if they were diesel/electric, or old buses converted to electric.  The sticker doesn't give enough information.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

METRO has the bus on display right now in front of City Hall from 10am-2pm (4/19/23). Expected to hit the streets in Dec or Jan (but they can't confirm anything so that could change). They said they're having to do a lot of testing and it is taking way longer than expected to receive the batch of 20 units. image.jpeg.1b02fe0b73f6515f62daea282505a04e.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Justin Welling said:

METRO has the bus on display right now in front of City Hall from 10am-2pm (4/19/23). Expected to hit the streets in Dec or Jan (but they can't confirm anything so that could change). They said they're having to do a lot of testing and it is taking way longer than expected to receive the batch of 20 units. image.jpeg.1b02fe0b73f6515f62daea282505a04e.jpeg

December or January?  That's insane.  The took delivery of the first of these in February, so we're talking 10-11 months between taking delivery and putting it in to service?  How can it possibly require that long?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

December or January?  That's insane.  The took delivery of the first of these in February, so we're talking 10-11 months between taking delivery and putting it in to service?  How can it possibly require that long?

Your guess is as good as mine. I am just quoting what one of the representatives said. Seemed like a long time to me too. 

• Like 1