Booming Land Of Pears

WestGrayGuy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They ought to plant pear trees everywhere... and perhaps have the local hotels offer free pears.

Also, I found out Shadow Creek Ranch (along with Southfork) is actually within the bounds of Alvin ISD.

I think Pearland ISD and Alvin ISD should merge, creating a "Pearland-Alvin ISD". A second high school should be built in Pearland, and then there would be four high schools in the newly-combined district.

They ought to plant pear trees everywhere... and perhaps have the local hotels offer free pears.

Also, I found out Shadow Creek Ranch (along with Southfork) is actually within the bounds of Alvin ISD.

I think Pearland ISD and Alvin ISD should merge, creating a "Pearland-Alvin ISD". A second high school should be built in Pearland, and then there would be four high schools in the newly-combined district.

Is that including the big new school being built on Rt. 6? (In spite of driving past it a couple of times a week, I have no idea for who the school is intended.)

Today I drove along 518 all the way from 288 to 2351. Where on earth do they get those subdivision names! Is there a "Subdivision Name Generator"? Little scraps of paper with "Silver" and "Wooded" and "Terrace" and "Place" and "Lake" and "Garden" and... oooh.

http://adrian.gimp.org/cgi-bin/sub.cgi

http://www.yalestar.com/subdivision.php

Behold. Pearland can build another hundred subdivisions now, what with all those names to pick among.

Is that including the big new school being built on Rt. 6? (In spite of driving past it a couple of times a week, I have no idea for who the school is intended.)

Today I drove along 518 all the way from 288 to 2351. Where on earth do they get those subdivision names! Is there a "Subdivision Name Generator"? Little scraps of paper with "Silver" and "Wooded" and "Terrace" and "Place" and "Lake" and "Garden" and... oooh.

http://adrian.gimp.org/cgi-bin/sub.cgi

http://www.yalestar.com/subdivision.php

Behold. Pearland can build another hundred subdivisions now, what with all those names to pick among.

I heard a new middle/junior high school (7-8) is being built in Pearland ISD. That may be it.

EDIT: I have some ideas for subdivision names. Name 'em after Pear species!

* Afghan, Algerian, Almond-leafed, Austrian, Cacasian, Callery, European, Iberian, Nashi, Oleaster-leafed, Plymouth, Sage-leafed, Siberian, Snow, Wild, Willow-leafed, Ya

Maybe something like... Oleaster Leaf Woods, or Sage Meadows, or Ya Land.

Again, the dress code policy of a new Pearland/Alvin district should be modified so the individual campus chooses between a traditional dress code and standardized dress.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess my point in that post a while back was to speak out against developers who don't care a thing about Houston or the communities they are building!

They try and scare middle class whites into thinking their middle class neighborhoods inside the Beltway are antiquated and being overrun with lower class people, so they'll come out to the outer suburbs of Pearland or Katy or wherever. Then they buy a house and the developers make profits.

What this does is leave a cavity in Houston between 610 and Beltway 8 extending slightly beyond Beltway 8 all around the city. This cavity will be characterized by an influx of poverty, lack of charm and character, lack of decent families that take care of their homes, and lack of good business.

Even this website promotes the suburbs and the inner-loop only. In the main menu, you can click on Heights, West University, Woodlands, Katy, Pearland, etc., all of these being nice desirable places. So why isn't there a button I can click on to discuss the Greenspoint area? The Sharpstown area? The Westchase District? The Almeda area? South Houston? Spring Branch? Copperfield? Gulfgate? White Oak Bayou NW area? Greens Bayou N area? Do these areas just not count because there is no architecture worth discussing?

So why isn't there a button I can click on to discuss the Greenspoint area? The Sharpstown area? The Westchase District? The Almeda area? South Houston? Spring Branch? Copperfield? Gulfgate? White Oak Bayou NW area? Greens Bayou N area? Do these areas just not count because there is no architecture worth discussing?

The areas with topic areas aren't based on being "nice". I think they were originally chosen with a subjective view as to their having distinct identities. The number of topic areas in the forum has increased over time. If there were sufficient interest in a topic for, say, Greenspoint, then it would be set up.

• 3 months later...

Just an update on some development in the booming land of pears.

At the corner of CR 59 and 288 (adjacent to Joes and Movie Theater) there are plans for a Pappasito's, Pappadeaux's, Academy and a Conns.

At 288 and 518, as many Pearlanders already know, there will be the Pearland Town Center which is supposed to house a Macy's and a Dillard's. I recently found out that there will also be a Barnes and Noble (finally). Somewhere near that, not exactly sure where, there is also supposed to be a HEB. I don't know what kind of HEB.

That's all I can think of so far. Anyone else know of other updates.

I haven't seen any work start on the Pearland Town Center yet. Just a sign that says "Macy's and Dillard's coming in May 2008." Looks like the JC Penney on the east side of 288@518 is getting close to opening. I also think we'll see the development along the northside of 2234 above SCR kicking into high gear shortly. It looks like they were preparing the land at least.

The Kingsley extension looks to be far along as well, both in the north (to B8) and the south (to 518). With all this development along 518 west of 288, there is no way that road will be able to stay much longer. It's a narrow country road right now. I would guess that will become a four lane divided road for 2-3 miles west of 288.

Just an update on some development in the booming land of pears.

At the corner of CR 59 and 288 (adjacent to Joes and Movie Theater) there are plans for a Pappasito's, Pappadeaux's, Academy and a Conns.

At 288 and 518, as many Pearlanders already know, there will be the Pearland Town Center which is supposed to house a Macy's and a Dillard's. I recently found out that there will also be a Barnes and Noble (finally). Somewhere near that, not exactly sure where, there is also supposed to be a HEB. I don't know what kind of HEB.

That's all I can think of so far. Anyone else know of other updates.

The Pearland Town Center, which will house a Macy's, Dillard's, Barnes and Nobles, and eventually a hotel and convention type center, probably won't start until the project to widen FM518 starts or at least they will work on it concurrently. I believe that was one of the conditions of putting the Town Center at that location.

http://www.cblproperties.com/cbl.nsf/Devel...49?opendocument

Looks like the shopping center at Kirby and FM 2234 is starting, but I'm not sure what stores it will hold. On this website it looks like a Walgreens, bank, and grocery story to start.

http://www.crossgreen.com/available_properties.html

According the SCR website there will also be 2 other shopping centers to open at both corners on the northside of Reflections Bay and FM 2234.

Also, the HCA hospital will breakground this summer and take about 18 mos to complete. This ground breaking is sooner than expected due to the population boom in the area.

http://www.eda-bc.com/news/archives/release.asp?id=443

The Pearland Town Center, which will house a Macy's, Dillard's, Barnes and Nobles, and eventually a hotel and convention type center, probably won't start until the project to widen FM518 starts or at least they will work on it concurrently. I believe that was one of the conditions of putting the Town Center at that location.

http://www.cblproperties.com/cbl.nsf/Devel...49?opendocument

I'm in Silverlake so I am very interested in the widening of 518. I heard from one of the councilmembers that the widening will start "sometime this year" but TXDOT is in control of that so it could change.

I'm in Silverlake so I am very interested in the widening of 518. I heard from one of the councilmembers that the widening will start "sometime this year" but TXDOT is in control of that so it could change.

If you're in Silverlake, do you really use this side of 518 (west of 288) that much? There's nothing too much over there right now besides a couple entrances to SCR.

I can't imagine they'd keep any of the original 518 west of 288. The entire road needs to done new as perhaps a four-lane divided road all the way to 521. Kingsley has almost extended to 518 now and I would guess that will open in the next month or so.

If you're in Silverlake, do you really use this side of 518 (west of 288) that much? There's nothing too much over there right now besides a couple entrances to SCR.

I can't imagine they'd keep any of the original 518 west of 288. The entire road needs to done new as perhaps a four-lane divided road all the way to 521. Kingsley has almost extended to 518 now and I would guess that will open in the next month or so.

Actually I mis-typed, I meant that I am very interested in work beginning on 518. I wasn't specifically speaking about the work that they are doing to make way for the Town Center just that when that begins, I assume the other 518 work will begin as well.

This may have changed, but from what I understand TXDOT has plans to not only widen the two-lane portions of 518 but also add curbs, raised landscaped medians and turning lanes in an effort to help traffic flow. I've heard that it will be late 2006 before anything kicks off though.

• 2 months later...

I heard today that Pearland would be getting both a 24-hour fitness and a LA Fitness. The 24-hour fitness is on 518 and Miller Ranch Rd. I've seen work in that location but I didn't realize that it was going to be a 24-hour fitness. If you don't know Miller Ranch Road is just pass the Silverlake Randalls off of 518. The LA Fitness is apparently going to be at the NW Corner of 518 and 288.

I recently e-mailed to the City of Pearland, concerning the widening of the FM518/Broadway west of SH288.

And this is the reply from Doug Kneupper, a city engeneer of Pearland: There are several projects that involve the improvement and reconstruction of Broadway, west of SH 288. The initial section from SH 288 to Kirby is being considered by two large land development projects: Shadow Creek Town Center, and the Pearland Town Center (CBL). Both developments are required to provide improvements to Broadway based on their respective development projects. The next section from Kirby to CR 48 is being considered by Southern Trails development. Although nothing on this section is finalized, there are ongoing negotiations between the City and the developer. The last section from CR 48 to FM 521 is now included in the development plan for Shadow Creek Ranch and that project is being designed by the civil engineer and should be under construction this summer.

I hope this can really clear up some of the rumors about this section of FM518.

I heard today that Pearland would be getting both a 24-hour fitness and a LA Fitness. The 24-hour fitness is on 518 and Miller Ranch Rd. I've seen work in that location but I didn't realize that it was going to be a 24-hour fitness. If you don't know Miller Ranch Road is just pass the Silverlake Randalls off of 518. The LA Fitness is apparently going to be at the NW Corner of 518 and 288.

24 hour fitness?!?! Really!! YAY! The other 24hour fitness locations are just too far. (Friendswood, Almeda, and Greenbriar) Where did you hear this info?

24 hour fitness?!?! Really!! YAY! The other 24hour fitness locations are just too far. (Friendswood, Almeda, and Greenbriar) Where did you hear this info?

I actually heard about the 24-hour Fitness last week from a staff member at their Meyerland location. I heard about the exact location from someone on my neighborhood message board.

I recently e-mailed to the City of Pearland, concerning the widening of the FM518/Broadway west of SH288.

And this is the reply from Doug Kneupper, a city engeneer of Pearland: There are several projects that involve the improvement and reconstruction of Broadway, west of SH 288. The initial section from SH 288 to Kirby is being considered by two large land development projects: Shadow Creek Town Center, and the Pearland Town Center (CBL). Both developments are required to provide improvements to Broadway based on their respective development projects. The next section from Kirby to CR 48 is being considered by Southern Trails development. Although nothing on this section is finalized, there are ongoing negotiations between the City and the developer. The last section from CR 48 to FM 521 is now included in the development plan for Shadow Creek Ranch and that project is being designed by the civil engineer and should be under construction this summer.

I hope this can really clear up some of the rumors about this section of FM518.

good information.

• 4 weeks later...
I actually heard about the 24-hour Fitness last week from a staff member at their Meyerland location. I heard about the exact location from someone on my neighborhood message board.

The Pearland location is actually listed on the 24 hour fitness web site now. Didn't see it on the LA Fitness site though.

The Pearland location is actually listed on the 24 hour fitness web site now. Didn't see it on the LA Fitness site though.

I got a flyer in the mail last week from 24 Hour Fitness announcing the arrival to Pearland and it said the gym will be a Shaq Sports Club and over 25,000 sq ft. No mention of what Shaq themed really means, but this is what 24 Hour's website has on it...

24 Hour Fitness USA has teamed up with basketball marvel Shaquille O

I got a flyer in the mail last week from 24 Hour Fitness announcing the arrival to Pearland and it said the gym will be a Shaq Sports Club and over 25,000 sq ft. No mention of what Shaq themed really means, but this is what 24 Hour's website has on it...

24 Hour Fitness USA has teamed up with basketball marvel Shaquille O

I meant to comment about the title of this thread. I am pretty sure Pearland wasn't named for Fruit. It was named after Pearls, as it was to be the "Pearl of the Gulf Coast". Just in case some were wondering as to how it got it's name.

I meant to comment about the title of this thread. I am pretty sure Pearland wasn't named for Fruit. It was named after Pearls, as it was to be the "Pearl of the Gulf Coast". Just in case some were wondering as to how it got it's name.

Then why does that big water tank off of Almeda and McHard sport a big pear painting, under the words "Welcome to Pearland"?

Then why does that big water tank off of Almeda and McHard sport a big pear painting, under the words "Welcome to Pearland"?

I could be wrong, I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken. Might have to ask a good Texas historian as to the origins of the name.

Archived