Cenikor Building At 1423 Texas Ave.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no clue.

a couple nights ago two men came over to where i was and explained that they were from north carolina and that there was no way a building would be torn down like that there with hardly any safety measures in place...(dust, debris, etc everywhere). implosion was the way to go.

shortly thereafter, a bright green fiberglass bathtub fell from the 9th or so floor onto the ground :unsure::rolleyes:

Checked it out today, and your NC friends are correct - it's unbelievable. I was poking around the rubble on the sidewalk, then noticed that large chunks of brick were dangling precariously 8-9 floors directly above my head.

I also noticed that the canopy which used to shelter the front entrance has been torn off the building, and if someone wanted to, they could make off with a couple pieces of some highly decorative solid copper trimming, about a foot wide and 12' long with an attractive green patina, if they were to go there tonight with perhaps a prybar and some tin snips. And some gloves and a flashlight.

Of course, that would be stealing...

Also I ran into a young lady taking photographs, who said that the building on the next block (Ben Milam Hotel) is scheduled for demolition next week. Anyone care to further fuel that rumor?

it isn't a rumor - cherry demolition is handling it

i just came back from there and not much was going on (some of the crew was MIA). i'll go back later after a nap for my regular photo session ^_^

Edited by sevfiv

Checked it out today, and your NC friends are correct - it's unbelievable. I was poking around the rubble on the sidewalk, then noticed that large chunks of brick were dangling precariously 8-9 floors directly above my head.

I also noticed that the canopy which used to shelter the front entrance has been torn off the building, and if someone wanted to, they could make off with a couple pieces of some highly decorative solid copper trimming, about a foot wide and 12' long with an attractive green patina, if they were to go there tonight with perhaps a prybar and some tin snips. And some gloves and a flashlight.

Of course, that would be stealing...

I was there today too, dbig (and yesterday). I somehow missed the copper trim. I did see some of the decorative concrete from the entrance lying there, in pieces too small to be worth keeping as much of a momento. I did notice many intact bricks (158, actually), very beautiful orange and red clay with black speckles. Such a shame to see them end up in the dump. They would make such a stunning backyard path ;) .

Sounds like it's not going to be a good winter for old brick hotels here. Very little of the 1920s skyline seems to be left. There outta be a law! At least we can hope that Spire's comment that the interior wasn't profitable indicates the possiblity that they're planning something other than a parking lot. Then again, they could have just decided to demolish and sell.

• 1 month later...

Well, they had to destroy it. After all, the ceilings were just too low. :wacko:

I was a little disappointed in the (lack of) reaction from the GHPA about the William Penn demolition. It seems sometimes that all they do is issue ladylike little peeps when older buildings are torn down. They should perhaps have a "Hall of Shame" for unnecessary destructions like this one (or the Prudential building coming up). I suppose in all fairness they probably figure there's not a lot they can really accomplish, short of having members chain themselves to the bulldozers.

I was a little disappointed in the (lack of) reaction from the GHPA about the William Penn demolition. It seems sometimes that all they do is issue ladylike little peeps when older buildings are torn down.

I agree. And the women are even worse. <_<

Some of their members appeared on Channel 8- PBS's The Connection a week or so ago debating the role of preservation in Houston. The opposition was one of those property rights groups, and they made a dynamic and persuasive argument. The GHPA's members' response pretty much was to sit there looking hurt.

According to GHPA's website, their meetings are held monthly at the Montrose library, and non-members are welcome to attend. I'll try to find out when the next meeting is scheduled and post it here. Perhaps a few HAIF members might liven things up a bit. :D

According to GHPA's website, their meetings are held monthly at the Montrose library, and non-members are welcome to attend. I'll try to find out when the next meeting is scheduled and post it here. Perhaps a few HAIF members might liven things up a bit. :D

please do - we should go!

<<<Not a fan of old structures. Take pics and put them in a museum. Modernization is the way to go. Creates jobs and hopefully the designs are nice as well. Not in favor of knocking down any buildings to put in a sea of concrete either as a parking lot :(:(:(:(:(

Aside from matters of sentiment, aesthetics or history (and that's a lot), old buildings are usually better constructed than their modern replacements. Look at the YWCA building near Waugh; it's barely twenty years old and literally falling apart. Many old buildings have endured literally decades of neglect and still remain structurally sound.

Old buildings afford materials and workmanship which often cannot be replicated at any cost. I think that these attributes sometimes actually work against appreciation of historic structures; people have become so used to the cheap and fake that genuine good design and craftmanship confuse and annoy them.

The old concrete covered towers are something more suited for eastern Europe or the former republics of the USSR. Not something i would like to see hanging around the "space city". The concrete eyesores would look wonderful in a city that doesnt wish to migrate into the 21st century. Thankfully Houston isnt so willing to hang on to that old stuff :)

The old concrete covered towers are something more suited for eastern Europe or the former republics of the USSR. Not something i would like to see hanging around the "space city". The concrete eyesores would look wonderful in a city that doesnt wish to migrate into the 21st century. Thankfully Houston isnt so willing to hang on to that old stuff :)

Gotcha - and I agree. Some buildings never were (and never will be) attractive. With any luck we'll replace that which we tear down with something better.

• 4 months later...
well, found these sitting around:

wpennsum005.jpg

yep..that sure is one great looking parking lot!

houston is a better place for having it.

i nominate it as a houston landmark to protect it forever.

still mad

:angry:

btw...great pics sevfiv. i really like the one that you used to use as your avatar. very ominous.

• 6 months later...

reviving the thread for a quick question:

i know there are several folks here who have great resources of information on houston's history -

after seemingly exhausting all of mine (and just about driving myself crazy), i cannot find (or even narrow down enough) the date of the opening of this hotel.

i have checked:

-sanborn maps, but the one that might have helped had a huge blotch on the date (but i think it was just the year, anyhow)

-county block books (nothing)

-Texas room (narrowed it down to maybe April-deccember of 1926)

-microfilm of Houston Post and Chronicle (it's insane - even if there was something published about it, i am sure i would have missed it after going through the first few months)

soo, if anyone can at least narrow it down a little bit more, or suggest additional resources, that would help bunches

thanks in advance!

sevfiv,

this is a tourist map from Fotoflite Company, Houston/New Orleans, (800) 766-7986 copyright 1992

my father bought this for me when we moved to Houston the previous year from NOLA

sorry the scan is small, but the white text, reads Cenikor Foundation (old william penn hotel) 1915

old-william-penn-hotel.jpg

sevfiv,

this is a tourist map from Fotoflite Company, Houston/New Orleans, (800) 766-7986 copyright 1992

my father bought this for me when we moved to Houston the previous year from NOLA

sorry the scan is small, but the white text, reads Cenikor Foundation (old william penn hotel) 1915

neat, thanks for the image

maybe it reads 1925 instead of 1915 - i've pretty much got the date narrowed somewhere between april-december of 1925

• The title was changed to Cenikor Building
  • The title was changed to Cenikor Building At 1423 Texas Ave.