Gloria's Latin Cuisine At 2616 Louisiana St.

fatesdisastr

just to spur some interest in anticipation of opening... i found some great photos of Munich on flickr http://forum.skyscra...ad.php?t=188347

good idea.

I've been to munich 3 times, once when I was 10, didn't enjoy it so much, once 2007, and then again last christmas.

here's some pics from the 2007 trip..

http://www.samagon0.com/euro_07/Munich/index.html

I didn't enjoy it when I was 10.

I enjoyed the hell out of the place both times, and I'm going back this September for Oktoberfest.

There really is A LOT to do there. Whether you are a beer drinker, architect fan, car fan, history buff, art fan, they have it all. And they have a HUGE Christmas market, if you can bear the cold weather and go in December (was close to 0 F when I was there).

Anyway, all of that and when you order beer they bring it to you by the liter. Awesome place.

I don't see how this bar will live up to its namesake.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

good idea.

I've been to munich 3 times, once when I was 10, didn't enjoy it so much, once 2007, and then again last christmas.

here's some pics from the 2007 trip..

http://www.samagon0....nich/index.html

I didn't enjoy it when I was 10.

I enjoyed the hell out of the place both times, and I'm going back this September for Oktoberfest.

There really is A LOT to do there. Whether you are a beer drinker, architect fan, car fan, history buff, art fan, they have it all. And they have a HUGE Christmas market, if you can bear the cold weather and go in December (was close to 0 F when I was there).

Anyway, all of that and when you order beer they bring it to you by the liter. Awesome place.

I don't see how this bar will live up to its namesake.

Checked it out yesterday... looks like a chill place with some dark wood tables and chairs where you can sit and enjoy a beer. Doesn't seem like a bar where you have to yell to talk to the person next to you.

I have the inside scoop! My sisters German band is playing their grand opening, it will be April 9. They will have hoffbrau beer on tap. They're starting it off right! Oh yeah, and a full bar, so more than just beer on tap.

Edited by samagon

I have the inside scoop! My sisters German band is playing their grand opening, it will be April 9. They will have hoffbrau beer on tap. They're starting it off right! Oh yeah, and a full bar, so more than just beer on tap.

Interesting.

Would have preferred they had something that isn't considered the Bud Light of Bavaria on tap, but I guess it's a start. I'll have to check it out.

Looking at the pictures of the outside, it looks like it'd fit in more in Berlin over München. It has that Bauhaus look to it.

Edited by Hartmann

Interesting.

Would have preferred they had something that isn't considered the Bud Light of Bavaria on tap, but I guess it's a start. I'll have to check it out.

Looking at the pictures of the outside, it looks like it'd fit in more in Berlin over München. It has that Bauhaus look to it.

Personally, I put the HB dunkel (from the tap) pretty high on my list of most enjoyed beers.

I'm sure they'll have more on tap than just HB.

and as long as they have some blue/white Bavarian flags hanging around (much more pleasing to look at than black/yellow Munich flag), they'll be set.

not sure what time doors open, but the band starts at 7.

Edited by samagon

Personally, I put the HB dunkel (from the tap) pretty high on my list of most enjoyed beers.

I'm sure they'll have more on tap than just HB.

and as long as they have some blue/white Bavarian flags hanging around (much more pleasing to look at than black/yellow Munich flag), they'll be set.

not sure what time doors open, but the band starts at 7.

great to see that they will be bringing in some live music... unfortunately i will be out of the country at that time.

Will the band be set up outside or inside?

I went Saturday night before going to our regular spots. It was pretty good, the crowd was pretty good too, not too many people, not too few. They did say that they are still working on a menu (German Food) that will be coming soon.

They have five or six german beers on tap. Two of them were pretty good, one was a wheaty thicker version and the other was considered a lite version. You can also get any draft beer in a 32 ounce glass mug (lol). mmmm

Edited by Daniepwils
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

A friend of mine just showed up for work there and they were shuttered. Said something about a landlord dispute or something. I'd only been once, but had a favorable impression.

Wow. That was fast! I would have figured there wouldn't be an issue like that a year or so down the road, particularly since they've been doing fairly well.

please enlighten the ignorant among us... what/where is ruby's?

Google is your friend. :)

I thought this location was fair at best. Definitely not one of the better Tex-Mex around in my opinion.

We ate there once.....the waiter could barely bothered to give us a drink and chips -- he actually never came back to see if we wanted a second drink....we had to ask the manager for the check....and the place was almost empty so it wasn't like he was busy -- never went back...

• Like 1

We ate there once.....the waiter could barely bothered to give us a drink and chips -- he actually never came back to see if we wanted a second drink....we had to ask the manager for the check....and the place was almost empty so it wasn't like he was busy -- never went back...

Same here. Except we sat at the bar. The bartender spent most of his time in the backroom. Anywhere but the bar. I guess he thought that since they were slow (we went on a sunday afteroon) he could sulk around outside, drink beer, and smoke cigarettes. Oh well. We've not been back since.

Never ate there (there are too many better places to eat Tex Mex in our city) but in the evenings I would drive past and almost always saw people eating on the patio (this was before summer mind you). I go to Bar Munich next door often on Fridays and Saturdays and I would walk by Ruby's and there were always people inside.

Hmm, I wonder what happened.

Tried it once. Nothing great. The close by Xuco Xucana is way better so I won't miss them.

XX use to be El Patio right? Yes, the food there is amazing since they actually have an amazing chef now. Probably one of the best Tex Mex meals I have ever had (the prices reflect that as well, but worth it), and the drinks are still the same amazing El Patio Margaritas I was use to (they will kick your arse, so take em slow)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://gloriasrestau...n-houstons.html

"Gloria’s Restaurants will soon be leaving for Houston to open its newest location in Midtown. This is an exciting day for owners Jose and Gloria Fuentes because Houston is where they originally met after fleeing El Salvador during its civil war in the late 70’s. They are currently in talks with Bruce Molzan one of the current owners of the historic Ruggles Grill which is located on the 900 block of Westheimer. If all goes as planned Jose and Gloria will demolish the 40 year old 26,000 sq. ft. Ruggles Grill to build a new 7,500 sq. ft. restaurant. This location is to be the first of 4 locations that will be opening in the greater Houston area. They also plan on opening additional locations in Sugar Land, The Woodlands, and West University. “Houston is a huge international market, and the competition is going to be very tough, but we will succeed there,” said Fuentes. Gloria’s just recently celebrated its 25th anniversary and has 12 locations in the DFW area and one in Austin."

Edited by DrLan34

• 3 weeks later...