Universal Typewriter Shop At 4311 Emancipation Ave.

On 10/28/2019 at 8:02 AM, trymahjong said:

Two years or so the owners of restaurant asked for the patio option to be moved- the neighbors said “NO” not sure if anything in designer renderings reflects that.

According to documents submitted to the city's planning commission in 2016, the proprietors of Edsel's moved the patio due to neighbor's concerns:

"The original site plan included a patio along the interior lot line. However, to accommodate the neighbors’ concerns for cigarette smoke and noise, the patio has been removed. To minimize noise, a privacy wall will be constructed on interior lot boundary. "

I wonder if there were further design changes for Edsel's? The only designs I remember are from the ones submitted to the city's planning commission in 2016. Owners of Edsel's were seeking a variance at the time.

aHbi5Ea.jpg

QB0QJGV.jpg

f9vy5pt.jpg

Ozh03K0.jpg

The intersection of wheeler and Emancipation seems to be a new retail/restaurant magnet within the 3 rd ward. However, parking and noise still seem to be problematic. The 2400 block of wheeler is permit parking only. The 2400 Rosewood is permit parking only. Of course the South Central HPD seems indulgent about issuing tickets— how long will that last.

now that COH has tied the noise ordinance violations to whether or not a business will keep its liquor license- you wonder how indulgent HPD will remain about issuing violation tickets. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Universal Typewriter Shop At 4311 Emancipation Ave.
  • 4 months later...

Thanks for allowing me to join the conversation - and ask for any assistance / guidance you may be able to provide.  

A friend and I had each left sentimental and historically significant typewriters with Smitty (the lovely man who owned Universal Business Machines) and have been trying to retrieve our property for a long time.  We have claim tickets to document ownership etc. and simply want the opportunity to retrieve our fathers' typewriters!  

We believe that there are many others in the same position and would like to communicate with the current owners of the property to allow us access and a happy resolution for all!  

I shall certainly contact the neighbouring restaurants and owners reference in hope of a lead, but any further information would be hugely appreciated!!!    Thank you!

Many thanks trymahjong!  I've left a message for the owner and hope to hear from her - allowing extra time due to Spring Break!  

Fingers crossed, I will contact the Civic Association with a glowing account of their commercial neighbor ensuring that a few dusty old typewriters are returned to their owners before they move forward with their Edsel project! 

Thank you!