World Class Cities Redux

editor

There's always been a lot of discussion on this forum about what makes a "world class city" and whether Houston is one, or not. Today I was working on one of HAIF's sister sites, London Architecture .co.uk (*cough* plug *cough*) and came across this masthead from London's official web site:

masthead.jpg

"working for" (meaning "working toward" in British English) caught my eye.

If LONDON isn't a world class city by now, what is?

There's always been a lot of discussion on this forum about what makes a "world class city" and whether Houston is one, or not. Today I was working on one of HAIF's sister sites, London Architecture .co.uk (*cough* plug *cough*) and came across this masthead from London's official web site:

masthead.jpg

Londoners have a weird perspective on things sometimes. I guess by saying that, they encourage their people and those who go over there to be more productive, harder working citizens. :huh:

I thought the meaning was that the Corporation of London was working for, as in being employed by a world class city.

Or is it that they are working to make London a world class city.

I think its the first one I said. London is already a world class city. If its not there aren't too many world class cities on earth than.

I thought the meaning was that the Corporation of London was working for, as in being employed by a world class city.

Or is it that they are working to make London a world class city.

I think its the first one I said. London is already a world class city. If its not there aren't too many world class cities on earth than.

I understand it as "Working toward a world class city" based on the British English I hear. Granted, I don't live there, but I listen to BBC Radio One (thank you Sirius) and LBC1215 (than you internet) almost daily, so I've grown used to many of their idioms.

There's always been a lot of discussion on this forum about what makes a "world class city" and whether Houston is one, or not.

Okay, here's two or three questions for everyone to decide before this discussions goes any futther...

1) Who decides decides that a city is officially world-class; the hometown citizens, or an outsider when they think of that city? If it's hometown, Houston and London are world-class. If it's outsiders, London's world-class, and Houston's getting there.

2) My definition of a world-class city: When you think of the most known prestigous cities in the world, you almost never leave it's name off the list (hence the name "world-class"). Does Houston or London make that list?

The Corporation of London only governs the City of London.

The area called "London" is far larger than the city of London.

The actual city of London only has a population 1,200. If I remember someone correcting me. But the area "London" is what we (Americans, the rest of the world) is actually the metro.

"

I think you may be misreading this.

1/2 my team is in London, and I don't think it reads that way.

I'm more than willing to concede that I heard it wrong, especially since I know you go over there a lot these days. :blush: Maybe I'm reading more into it than there really is.

• 2 weeks later...

masthead.jpg

It means working for a World Class City as in working for the city and the people of London. I can't imagine a list that wouldn't include London as a world class city.

Here's a local translation example: Reliant Energy- working for the Space City. As in working for the city and people of Houston but not working toward making Houston a 'space' city.

Archived