Spur 5 Extension- Future Highway 35 To Alvin

45 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

Sounds like Sammy is arguing for this to go ahead and be extended all the way to Alvin with separate ingress and egress to downtown so that it is more effective at achieving its goals.

Consider me . . . wholly ONBOARD!!!!!  What a great new way to get to HOU!

Onboard with that as well, though the closest I ever get to Alvin is when my wife plays that d@mn song over and over during Christmas. 😉

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, strickn said:

I think SH35 will still be connected to the Gulf Fwy at Reveille / 610.

my guess would be if they ever connected the spur5 extension from 610 out to the BW and beyond they'd follow the RR alignment along Mykawa. Telephone/Reveille would be resignaled as 'business35'.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, hindesky said:

$184 million to rebuild and expand the Loop 610 interchange with Texas 35, a key piece of a new planned freeway south from Houston toward Pearland.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/Texas-poised-for-record-80-billion-plus-in-road-17295480.php

I wonder if there are long term plans to recontruct the I-45 South and 610 interchange.

50 minutes ago, kennyc05 said:

I wonder if there are long term plans to recontruct the I-45 South and 610 interchange.

The are no existing plans to improve the interchange at 610 and the Gulf Freeway. However, the Gulf Freeway corridor has a study in progress to determine future improvements.

https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-involved/about/hearings-meetings/houston/071222.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MaxConcrete said:

The are no existing plans to improve the interchange at 610 and the Gulf Freeway. However, the Gulf Freeway corridor has a study in progress to determine future improvements.

https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-involved/about/hearings-meetings/houston/071222.html

I did not know I use that route going to work everyday near Ellington Field it's not in the worst shape between downtown in the beltway but it needs some work. I wonder if they have plans for expanding it?

2 minutes ago, kennyc05 said:

I did not know I use that route going to work everyday near Ellington Field it's not in the worst shape between downtown in the beltway but it needs some work. I wonder if they have plans for expanding it?

Nevermind it says no changes to existing roadway at this time.

On 7/11/2022 at 12:13 PM, kennyc05 said:

they just finished updating ramps, and adding ramps that didn't exist on the north side of the 610/45 interchange.

i45 and 610 main lanes at the interchange are a different story, as well, the ramps on the south side of 610.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, samagon said:

they just finished updating ramps, and adding ramps that didn't exist on the north side of the 610/45 interchange.

i45 and 610 main lanes at the interchange are a different story, as well, the ramps on the south side of 610.

I guess I should have asked do they have a plan to redo the whole interchange 

• 8 months later...

"The first step of Houston’s next freeway is taking shape, provided highway officials finalize their plans for almost $94 million worth of work along Spur 5 near the University of Houston.

A project to extend the spur from its intersection with Interstate 45 to Griggs Road could start in the late spring, after bids on the project were opened in Austin last week, Houston-based Williams Brothers Construction, a mainstay in local road projects, was the low bidder at $93.9 million, slightly below what the Texas Department of Transportation estimated."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/alvin-freeway-spur-university-17837047.php

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

Hopefully at some point the Alvin freeway could be built, and then the 45/610 interchange demolished entirely and rebuilt in a way that it doesn't cause slowdowns in both directions all day on 45

It needs a rebuild badly! That interchange is a mess!!!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of taking the Grand Parkway though Alvin and a big right to dead end with 45 on the Dickson League City border( By the way Texdot like usual did not plan ahead with the widening of 45 and the bridge over 646 to allow room for ramps on and off parkway) the Grand Parkway should be implemented as part of the Alvin spur up towards Houston where it can be better designed to connect to 45 with off and on ramps.

rebuilding the Gulf/610 interchange was very recently just done. I think because this freeway (35) is eventually still planned they presume that when they do build it that it will relieve pressure on the Gulf/610 interchange and so they won't need to realign the main lanes of Gulf Freeway traffic to be more efficient once this is built, or at least it will relieve pressure for a bit and they can kick the can down the road.

as far as what they do need to worry about from an interchange perspective, and maybe I'm not thinking about it logically, but it seems to me that when this extension is completed the more beneficial interchange will be at 610, rather than 45.

my line of thinking is it will allow medical center workers an alternative to 288. 

35 > 610 > Almeda, or Fannin exit.

or 

35 > 610 > 288 toll > Holcomb exit.

inbound to downtown, unless the i45 realignment really changes traffic patterns seriously, currently, from the spur to 45 sucks for getting into downtown. if it were me (and actually, I did this quite frequently when I'd go from UH > downtown), spur 5, follow the signs for the 59 exit, then exit on Scott street and take the 45 feeder the rest of the way to Live Oak street and jog over to Leeland. and that was to get to my office in Chase tower. it was quicker to not even get on 45, and take streets through downtown to get to that area. once 45 is realigned, I just don't see how getting to that side of downtown on the freeway system is going to be any faster once you are in the area. exit as soon as you can and take surface streets. I really think if they want to have an additional freeway dump right into that, they will need to expand the main lanes on 45, at least until the 'downtown destination' exit.

outbound from downtown, right now, no one uses the spur 5 exit, so traffic in that lane is easy to get onto spur 5, but once it goes all the way to old Pearland? maybe it gets more crowded.

edit: I also think if they have an exit at Airport Blvd that it will also relieve a lot of airport traffic from 45, which as well will help immensely with the Gulf/610 interchange (and again, maybe a great reason for them to need to nail the 35/610 interchange).

Edited by samagon

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Are there any parts on this alignment to connect UH Main Campus to the UH Energy Park? There are railroad tracks splitting up what could be a connection between the two site and make it all UH Campus connecting both sides. They would have to build a trench under the tracks or a bridge over the Spur to connect the the Energy Park to UH Main. I am surprised UH has not been in talks with the TXDOT and the city to find way connect the the Ernergy Park to UH Main via University Dr. Under or over the Spur 

Edited by cougarpad

2 hours ago, cougarpad said:

I am surprised UH has not been in talks with the TXDOT and the city to find way connect the the Ernergy Park to UH Main via University Dr. Under or over the Spur 

My guess: its too cost prohibitive and isn't really a priority, especially since you just need to travel an extra mile or so to find a crossing.

3 hours ago, cougarpad said:

Are there any parts on this alignment to connect UH Main Campus to the UH Energy Park? There are railroad tracks splitting up what could be a connection between the two site and make it all UH Campus connecting both sides. They would have to build a trench under the tracks or a bridge over the Spur to connect the the Energy Park to UH Main. I am surprised UH has not been in talks with the TXDOT and the city to find way connect the the Ernergy Park to UH Main via University Dr. Under or over the Spur 

57 minutes ago, Big E said:

My guess: its too cost prohibitive and isn't really a priority, especially since you just need to travel an extra mile or so to find a crossing.

Yeah, especially considering where University Dr. would cross under the railroad ---  about 17 sets of tracks.  Probably in the category of "not gonna happen".

there isn't a car capable connection, but there is a crosswalk at the pharmacy building that accesses the Brays Bayou Greenway, they even have a lane for golfcarts, so there's access for pedestrian, bike, or cart to the energy park via this greenway.

I confess I've only ever ridden past the energy park entrance on my bike, and haven't investigated how easy it is to access that section of campus from that trail, but it exists.

15 hours ago, samagon said:

there isn't a car capable connection, but there is a crosswalk at the pharmacy building that accesses the Brays Bayou Greenway, they even have a lane for golfcarts, so there's access for pedestrian, bike, or cart to the energy park via this greenway.

I confess I've only ever ridden past the energy park entrance on my bike, and haven't investigated how easy it is to access that section of campus from that trail, but it exists.

I've walked that section a couple of times.  It's a really nice trail.  From the main campus you end up in one of the parking lots.