Subdude

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That article said that the Sheraton was to be made into a "luxury" hotel? I thought that Sheraton Hotels have always been classified as "luxury." AARP classifies them as "upscale."

No...... Haha, I worked at one for a short stint. Perhaps overseas and some of their resort properties may appear luxurious. Upscale is more appropriate and applies to Hilton, Marriott, Westin, and Sheraton.

But I'm excited about the Omni. They are kinda innovative in the way that they try to appeal to all your senses. Sounds, scent, taste... feel. Etc.

They are going to have a LOT of work though. I parked underground there recently and choose to take the stairwell up to the ground floor (instead of walking up the ramp which is the only way to get down) and when I pushed open the door to enter the abandoned elevator bank with street access there was someone sleeping at my feet!

• 2 weeks later...
That article said that the Sheraton was to be made into a "luxury" hotel? I thought that Sheraton Hotels have always been classified as "luxury." AARP classifies them as "upscale."

"Upscale" is probably the appropriate term for Sherarton - they are very nice, but Starwood has the Westin, W, and St Regis brands for the "luxury" niche

Edited by TxDave

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have been by a few days ago. If there is work being done, I haven't seen any evidence of it.

The project is still in a holding pattern. They are waiting on Financing. The projected start date is Jan. 09.

I haven't noticed any activity here - not like at the old Days Inn. It looks like they're gutting the innerds.

The innards have been pre-gutted for your renovation convenience. The building is pretty much nothing but a steel frame and concrete floorplates.

The innards have been pre-gutted for your renovation convenience. The building is pretty much nothing but a steel frame and concrete floorplates.

Wrong topic, I know, but what kind of asbestos issues are there with the old Days Inn? Does anybody know?

• 11 months later...

I saw them working on some type of plumbing for the building this weekend. They had the entire right lane of Louisiana closed off near the building.

I'm surprised there's any plumbing in there left to work on, unless it is the drainage pipes for the underground parking garage.

• 1 year later...

according to swamplot, it seems like the sheraton is going to be leveled, but they are going to retain the underground parking.

I can't help but wonder how in the world THAT is going to happen.

Now the thing is how to feel about it: On one hand, I'm bummed, because this could have been a relatively easy way to add more hotel space here and we are getting ANOTHER empty lot but, at the same time, I'm glad to see this eyesore go away.

Take those pictures while you still can kids!

Looks like the swimming pool has been removed, probably been gone for a while. Can't blame them, can only imagine what a pool on the roof of an empty bldg. in rainy Houston would do. Recipe for disaster.

Those '60's pics of the hotel were cool to see on Swamplot. Can only wonder what's left inside. Empty?

Looks like the swimming pool has been removed, probably been gone for a while. Can't blame them, can only imagine what a pool on the roof of an empty bldg. in rainy Houston would do. Recipe for disaster.

Those '60's pics of the hotel were cool to see on Swamplot. Can only wonder what's left inside. Empty?

Swamplot lifted those 60s pics from ones I posted on HAIF from a Sheraton brochure. Credit given where credit due. -_-

I'm sorry to see this be demolished. It was always my favorite 1960s skyscraper. I was able to do unofficial urban exploring through the interior a couple of times before it was gutted, which was fun.

Swamplot lifted those 60s pics from ones I posted on HAIF from a Sheraton brochure. Credit given where credit due. -_-

I'm sorry to see this be demolished. It was always my favorite 1960s skyscraper. I was able to do unofficial urban exploring through the interior a couple of times before it was gutted, which was fun.

well, Thanks go to you! then...

BTW - 1st architectural guide says it was built in 1962 by Kenneth Bentsen, Quin & Christiansen (Chicago).

TheNiche, what's up with you valuing old building over old people? :unsure:;)

Re-posted from Swamplot:

When people become old, decrepit and a public health nuisance, we pay an arm and a leg to preserve their miserable existence…preferably out-of-sight, maintained as rapidly-depreciating societal inventory on a shelf somewhere, for all intents and purposes.

When buildings become old, decrepit and a public health nuisance, we pursue condemnation.

One of these approaches or the other need to change.

well, Thanks go to you! then...

BTW - 1st architectural guide says it was built in 1962 by Kenneth Bentsen, Quin & Christiansen (Chicago).

You know, as much as I've always loved this building, it has to be admitted that re-development was going to be tough. The tower section only covers a quarter of a block, so the floorplate is too narrow to do much with. Also, oddly the lower floors that were offices have higher ceilings than in the upper hotel section.

At one point I got hold of the redevelopment renderings after the building had been acquired by the Hyatt across the street. There would have been a skybridge connection to the Hyatt, and the front of the Sheraton would have had what looked like a decorative steel "spine" running up the Polk facade on the left side.

brookfield purchasing the property means:

they got a good deal?

they acquire more parking and space for future development?

will they now ask more for the office space in "Total Plaza" with a better view?

wasn't the property ready for redevelopment?

anyone reading between the lines and want to share?

• Like 1

If I had to guess, I would think that building a new attached parking structure to Total Plaza might bring them higher rents.

You're probably right, but the problem is getting financing for projects like this. The feds handed the banks billions of dollars with the instructions, "Lend these to businesses that want to build stuff." The banks said, "Thank you" and then stuffed all the money in their mattresses, used it to pay back bailout money, and gave the CEOs who ran them into the ground "bonuses" for jobs well done.

Doing the garage only is a way to get the project started without putting too much money in jeopardy; possibly little enough that a bank will actually help out.

It's all baby steps these days.