An Idea For A Houston-set Series

VicMan

I have an idea on another Houston-set series..

Perhaps the series can focus on the daily lives of a group of Houston high school kids who go to the same (fictional) Houston high school. The kids come from different neighborhoods, ranging from the wealthy River Oaks to the areas around Hobby Airport. The teens have different day-to-day issues that are revolving around the city. One idea could revolve around a family's struggle with a grandmother who is being priced out of Midtown. The family (including the daughter) wants the grandmother to come live with them in West University Place, yet the grandmother is attached to her home and insists on staying. The family refuses to help the grandmother foot the bill because they very much want her in West U. Other tensions could revolve from financial stress and being forced to work so soon. Perhaps one can involve the River Oaks girl, who is trying to break free of being a Paris Hilton (being famous for being from a wealthy family).

Why did I choose kids? Houston has a younger than national-average mean age, and many families have relocated to Houston.

Or maybe a sci-fi/horror series, where teenagers set up housekeeping in a creepy unoccupied Montrose-area high-rise condo building. They become infected with a mutant toxic mold which transforms them into...glamorous transsexuals!

They wreak havoc on the surrounding community, threatening traditional marriage and property values.

It would play forever.

I think you need an episode about a kid selling syrup to finance his budding rap career...and his 12 year old girlfriend rats him out.

Oh, you mean a movie about SPM right? :)

A WB drama type of show about kids in Houston would probably never float. There's just nothing here to fit the bill. Houston's not a small all-American town ("Tree Hill", "Capeside" (from Dawson's Creek) or "Smallville"), a cold industrial town with rough neighborhoods (Detroit, Pittsburgh, Boston, Baltimore), nor is it a glitzy marquee city (San Fransisco, LA, NYC, Miami).

Houston is just plain old Houston. Hell, they can't even film shows revolving around the oil business here without them tanking on their own. The only shows involving Houston that we'll ever see are:

Court TV - Andrea Yates, Clara Harris, Enron Trial & Story

E! True Hollywood Story - Destiny's Child

MTV Cribs - Any Houston Rocket, Texan, Astro, or H-Town Rapper

..And no, I don't watch the WB or its shows: Dawson's Creek, One Tree Hill, or Smallville. I had to use IMDB.com to find all the town names!

Edited by Jeebus

Or maybe a sci-fi/horror series, where teenagers set up housekeeping in a creepy unoccupied Montrose-area high-rise condo building. They become infected with a mutant toxic mold which transforms them into...glamorous transsexuals!

They wreak havoc on the surrounding community, threatening traditional marriage and property values.

It would play forever.

.............and they give makeovers to everyone they come in contact with. Danny Bonaduce makes a guest appearance, playing a whacked out alcohol crazed individual, only he is not an actor, and it turns out this is just another reality show. I could pitch this to Hollywood easily. B)

Edited by TJones

.............and they give makeovers to everyone they come in contact with. Donny Bonaduce makes a guest appearance, playing a whacked out alcohol crazed individual, only he is not an actor, and it turns out this is just another reality show. I could pitch this to Hollywood easily. B)

Gary Busey can be his sidekick. Like you said: no acting required.

It would play forever.

That is a fabulous plot. It could be named......"Soylent Queen". :blink:

Actually both the cough syrup selling and the Montrose mold thing sound like good plots.. except the mold would cause most of the kids to hallucinate and start harrassing the neighborhood. Only one of them is able to clean up the apartment.. and she does it all by herself..

As for the cough syrup one, perhaps a main character's brother could become a drug dealer in order to buy stuff, and that main character doesn't figure it out until the police raid her house one day.

Well, Houston does have some rough areas, but the entire city is not rough.

I know it may be hard to get people to watch a show about good ol' Houston with its flat environment and sweltering heat. Still, Houston does have some very glitzy areas, e.g. River Oaks... and Houston also has the funky Montrose.

Edited by VicMan

Houston does have a tv show set here. Ever heard of "Reba" on the WB? Check it out, Friday nights, it's been on for several years already.

They even had a show about Hurricane Katrina a few weeks back.

That show is set here. WHO KNEW ! I have never watched it. Go figure.

Or, maybe...

A young man, just graduated out of LSU, Leaves his poverty stricken home town deep in the swamps, for a better life in Houston. He makes his way to the top of the dogs in the Booming Oil Industry. He gets caught up in the fortune, and the lifestyle of world traveling, while he recives a letter from his brother, who chose to live in his home town for his entire life, being a cashier at a local Gas Station. His mother has come down with a deadly cancer. He realizes his neglect for his family and heritage, and makes it home intime to make a mence to his mother, his family, and his first true love he left when he went off to College. She has 15 kids, and her 7th husband just left her. His entire life flashes before his eyes, only to realize that he made the right choice to leave. But he greifs over his mistake to never keep in touch with his Family. He confesses this over his mother's grave, only to be visited by her ghost. She hugs hum, forgives him, and tells him she misses him. Only for him to wake up in a trance-like state after he realizes it was just a dream. He returns to Houston to marry a stripper, who later secretly poisons him by pouring Pine-sal into his drink over time. He dies off, and the whore gets all the money.

hm?

Or, maybe...

He returns to Houston to marry a stripper, who later secretly poisons him by pouring Pine-sal into his drink over time. He dies off, and the whore gets all the money.

hm?

No, I think you're thinking of "My Name Is Earl". Don't worry - he doesn't die though.

:lol:

Also, isn't there an Asian mafia in Alief?

If so, here would be another odd story:

The girl in West U (the same girl who has the grandma problems) has a cousin in Alief. Her cousin's family runs an Alief laundromat. They have a falling out with the mob and the cousin's dad is shot dead. The cousin and her mom run over to the West U girl's house and ask for shelter from the mob.

Also, isn't there an Asian mafia in Alief?

If so, here would be another odd story:

The girl in West U (the same girl who has the grandma problems) has a cousin in Alief. Her cousin's family runs an Alief laundromat. They have a falling out with the mob and the cousin's dad is shot dead. The cousin and her mom run over to the West U girl's house and ask for shelter from the mob.

Hey! I live in Alief. And the Bellaire Street Gang and Dynasty Mall Mafia strongly resent your comments :lol:

Also, to TJones, Anna Nicole Smith is a very respectable and professional lady. At least that's what she paid me to say after I walked in on her 30-minute session with Andy Rooney.

Hey! I live in Alief. And the Bellaire Street Gang and Dynasty Mall Mafia strongly resent your comments :lol:

Also, to TJones, Anna Nicole Smith is a very respectable and professional lady. At least that's what she paid me to say after I walked in on her 30-minute session with Andy Rooney.

ACK ! :blink: I agree with you though DJ, she is definately a "professional" ! ;)

Edited by TJones

Also, pronunciation of names can differ between people of different groups.

For instance, the River Oaks girl, Sarah (The name means "princess" in Hebrew, hence the name), would have her name pronounced in an Anglo manner by most characters, but Hispanic adults (who have Spanish as their first tongue) call her "Sah-rah".

Meanwhile, Carolina Alvarez, a junior who is virtually an adult is something of a mentor to one of the main characters, is called "Carol-ai-nuh" by Anglo characters but "Cah-ro-lee-na" by Hispanic characters.