Apartments In The Heights?

sunsets

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this board for quite a while, and I've found it invaluable for info about Houston neighborhoods.

My husband and I are relocating to Houston, most likely in early January. He's working downtown, I'm working at the medical center. We'd like to buy a house within 6 months or so, but want to live in the city for a bit before making that decision.

We're very interested in the Heights. However I am having a heck of a time checking out apartments in that area online. It seems like there aren't too many big complexes there, and that's fine, but I'm worried about getting a lease in a place that's less than safe.

Basically, we're looking to rent a two bedroom apartment or house for 6 months. We'll pay up to $1500/month. Don't require a garage or anything, just would like to know that the car won't be up on blocks when we get home one evening.

Can anyone recommend any complexes, buildings or landlords? I found a listing for an apartment at 907 Heights Blvd on Craigslist - is that a reasonable location?

Advice on areas/buildings to avoid would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this board for quite a while, and I've found it invaluable for info about Houston neighborhoods.

My husband and I are relocating to Houston, most likely in early January. He's working downtown, I'm working at the medical center. We'd like to buy a house within 6 months or so, but want to live in the city for a bit before making that decision.

We're very interested in the Heights. However I am having a heck of a time checking out apartments in that area online. It seems like there aren't too many big complexes there, and that's fine, but I'm worried about getting a lease in a place that's less than safe.

Basically, we're looking to rent a two bedroom apartment or house for 6 months. We'll pay up to $1500/month. Don't require a garage or anything, just would like to know that the car won't be up on blocks when we get home one evening.

Can anyone recommend any complexes, buildings or landlords? I found a listing for an apartment at 907 Heights Blvd on Craigslist - is that a reasonable location?

Advice on areas/buildings to avoid would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks!

There are other good areas to rent. tons of VERY safe townhomes in that price range off Bering (Galleria). Its a straight shot down Woodway, through Memorial Park, to downtown. I think it took my hubby 15 minutes max to get to his office on Louisiana.

http://har.com/search/engine/indexdetail.c...=0&backButton=Y

ie- GREAT Complex

Hi everyone,

There is the Alexan apartments on I-10 near Studewood. Don't know if it is actually the Heights but it is close.

There are a lot of older smaller complexes in the Heights. Some are nice and some are pretty scary. You would have to see them personally to know which kind they are. There are also the Yale Street lofts at 9th and Yale. Here is the link.

http://www.urbanliving2000.com/houston_leasing.htm

They are only one bedroom but they do have one bedroom+study units that may work for you.

Also, you can search for rentals on WWW.HAR.COM. Just restrict your search to 77008 zip and that will keep you in the Heights area.

Alexan Heights Apts. is in the Heights. Here's a link.

http://www.alexanheights.com/attractions/index.php

There are also some large complexes on Studemont at Washington Avenue. This is technically where the Heights begins, though the interstate has separated this area from Heights proper. However, it is close to everything, including the Heights.

http://houston.forrent.com/search/detail.a...7794&featured=1

I lived in some apartments at 9th and Arlington about 10 years ago. Small complex, about 24 units if I remember correctly. Older place, but quiet, safe, friendly, and a good price.

I never thought of the Heights as unsafe when I was there. You've got to keep your eyes open, just like any place in the world, but I never once felt unsafe there. Of course there were petty crimes, like car break-ins, but that happens in the best neighborhoods.

If your husband works in the Med Center, you may also want to look in the Med Center area. There are plenty of apartments and townhomes well within your price range, very safe, and with plenty of amenities.

The Midtown and Museum District/Third Ward areas are also closer to the Med Center than the Heights is. They're also safe, and within your price range.

I'm sure many will disagree, but I'm of the opinion that 99% of violent crime happens to those who are looking for it. If you're not dealing drugs, breaking into houses, or stealing cars, I don't think you need to worry about violent crime. I don't worry about it.

This may be totally out of the ballpark, but I will throw it out there anyway. I just learned about a house in Glenbrook that is going to be sitting vacant for a few months, (the owners can afford to do that apparently!). Anyway, it is a very, very cool mid-century modern house and they would like to go ahead and rent it for about 6 months or so, I think $1,500 but you would have to confirm. It is a big house with formals and a den and three bedrooms on a cul-de-sac. I was going to get it for a client that had a gap between a house sale and a house purchase, but that issue was ironed out.

It would definitely be close to both downtown and the medical center. Of course if you don't like that whole mid-century modern look, you wouldn't like it, it is the roman brick & vaulted ceilings, and floor to ceiling glass kind of thing. PM me if you or anyone else wants any info. Houses usually require a year lease so it is kind of a rare beast since you can get a short term deal on it.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Will check out the Yale lofts for sure.

I know there are a lot more apartments/townhomes available in the Med Center/Midtown area, and I have recommendations for a couple of complexes. I was checking out the situation in the Heights, mainly because that's at the top of our "eventually buy a house here" list, and it would be nice to live there and get a feel for the neighborhood.

But that certainly doesn't rule out other places. rps324 - I sent you a PM....

As far as crime goes, I am aware that it happens and you can't just go off leaving the garage door open. Heck, even here in Ann Arbor we've had quite the little crime wave - college kids get beat up and robbed nearly every weekend.

I just don't want to end up living in one of those "not so good" pockets that seem to be in every neighborhood.

Yeah, that's what I keep telling the husband. Midtown makes sense as far as transit options.

We eventually want a house with a yard, however, and from what I've seen those are few and far between in Midtown. Also, it's damn hard to resist those Craftsman style houses in the Heights.

Yeah, that's what I keep telling the husband. Midtown makes sense as far as transit options.

We eventually want a house with a yard, however, and from what I've seen those are few and far between in Midtown. Also, it's damn hard to resist those Craftsman style houses in the Heights.

There are also some great craftsman style homes in Eastwood.

There are some areas in Midtown/Montrose where there are a large stock of streetcar suburb type houses, paricularly in Avondale.

Here are some of my pics of examples in Montrose. Yes the lots are small and the yards are minimum, but it is still a very enjoyable place to settle.

Click for larger image

a9uj1.th.jpg

aa5cf.th.jpg

Watch for areas where Houston's no zoning is in place though.

aa23si.th.jpg

aa37eh.th.jpg

aa46rg.th.jpg

Some in Avondale in Midtown/Montrose

aa52wf.th.jpg

aa68cf.th.jpg

aa73xy.th.jpg

aa86bs.th.jpg

Hi sunsets,

I definitely know of an apartment community you should consider. It is called Cheval and is on Old Katy Road inside loop 610 near the 610/I10 interchange. It would be a hop, skip, and a jump to downtown and the med center. I believe a 2/2 goes for about $1,495 although I think they are running some specials right now. My broker recently was there with a client and came back to the office raving about the amenities. Here's a list from a brochure she brought back:

TREASURES INSIDE THE GATES

Resort-style pool with infinity edge waterfall

24-hour exercise facility with spinning area and personal trainer

Day spa with massage rooms

Tea solarium

Stand-up tanning booths

Landscaped courtyards with fountains

Skyline views

Al fresco living terraces and gathering lanais

Covered outdoor veranda with fireplace, TV and conversation area

Yoga and pilates studio

Lap pool with water features

Extensive clubhouse concierge services

Video Library

Cafe lounge

Business center with conference room

Flatscreen TV in clubhouse "living room"

Parking garage with remote control access

Bicycle storage

Gourmet, demonstrator-type kitchen with cafe tables

Loft library for reading and board games

Game room with billiards, football and shuffleboard

Pet friendly

Putting Green

Tennis court (lighted)

Sand volleyball and beach area

Additional storage available

Ample visitor parking

Wi-Fi Hot Spot Wireless Internet in clubhouse and pool area

Sophisticated European-eclectic decor

Stained concrete floors*

Spacious terraces and opera-style balconies*

DISTINCTIONS INSIDE YOUR DOOR

Custom built-in wine racks

Bookshelves

Island kitchens*

Custom 42" cabinets

Designer hardware and fixtures

Pendant lighting

High-speed Internet

Slate backsplash*

Intrusion alarms

10 foot ceilings

French balcony doors

Ceiling fans

Track lighting

Washer and Dryer

Built-in microwaves

Side-by-side refrigerators

Home office center wi th built-in computer desks*

Garden tubs

Dual vanities*

2" custom blinds

Doesn't that sound amazing?!?! Makes me want to sell my house in the Heights and move there. Of course it would be a bit weird for a Realtor to rent. : P

Anyway, you should check it out...

If you are looking for a house, I have a 2/1 open right now in the Heights that goes for $1,250.

Good luck!

I had a friend that was living in an apartment on TC Jester, just north of I-10. Fairly new complex, very large...and nice... not too overpriced. It is not "IN" the Heights, but very close and nicely located. Anyone know the name of this place?

it may be the Retreat at City Park

I think Retreat is on East TC Jester.... This is on West TC Jester... ya know where the bridge is over the

Rail Road Tracks (switching yard looking place)... it is right there..

She had a great apartment with a view of Downtown from her balcony... and he was far enough from the trains to not have any problems with noise from that.

Hi everyone,

Well I used to live in the apartments at 936 Heights Blvd from 94-96 and I don't recommend living there unless they've put up an access gate or hired a security guard to watch the parking lot. My car was broken into twice there and my radio was stolen both times. But they were considerate enough to not break the window the first time they got in. I had a Hyundai hatchback and they removed the rear window by peeling the rubber gasket away and then just put the glass to the side. Second time they jimmied the door and took the radio but they were nice enough to put all the wires back into the console instead of just leaving them hanging. Wierd.

Well I used to live in the apartments at 936 Heights Blvd from 94-96 and I don't recommend living there unless they've put up an access gate or hired a security guard to watch the parking lot.

A lot has changed in the Heights since '96. For the better.

• 4 weeks later...

Getting on this discussion a little late, but I actually live in some of the "apartments near Washington & Studemont" where the Heights "technically starts."

There are the Amli Memorial Heights, which is where I live. They recently (about 6 months ago) were bought out by Amli. Prior to that, they were the "Quarters at Memorial" (you might see references to that name on the web). I've lived there for over 2 years, and I LOVE it. Right now I am looking to buy a house in that area. The apartments were finished in 2001, and I pay about $1300 for a 1261 sq foot 2 bedroom with a gorgeous view (and 2 balconies).

There are some apartments next door (on Memorial Court) that are nice, but seemed a little too "frat-housey" for me. I can't remember the name... Something "Memorial Heights."

Across the street are the Siena Apartments. They were finished in 2004. My best friend lives here. They are the exact same style as the Amli ones, just newer. The prices are slightly more expensive. They are really pretty too, but the pool is not as nice as Amli, and there are not as many balconies. My friend works downtown, and it takes her 20 minutes to get to her desk at work (it's about 2 miles) with traffic. She used to commute from the Galleria area, and is SO much more happy where she is now.

I would recommend either of them.

As for the Archstone Memorial Heights - they are nice, and well maintained, but they are older, smaller, and the prices reflect that. Older appliances, no garden tubs, or huge closets.

The area is perfectly safe - there have been a few car break-ins at the apartments, but mostly due to people leaving their car doors unlocked or leaving valuables out in plain sight. Same things as anywhere else in the 'burbs.

You will be in walking distance from a great park along Buffalo Bayou, filled with runners and walkers.. They are currently fixing up the area on the banks of Buffalo Bayou downtown, which you could walk to (about 1 mile). My friends and I often walk from our apartments to the other side of downtown (George R. Brown) - it's a 5 mile roundtrip walk, but I love walking through my city.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the area or the apartments... Good luck! :)

Is Alexan Heights Apts the same complex that a previous poster said were dangerous?

Something about a rash of break ins?

I live in Alexan Heights - my apt was broken in to several months ago....along with 4 others at the same time.....I moved to a different apt in the same complex (my first apt was in a "blind spot" on the first floor)...I havent had any issues since....

The management now has monthly Crime Stopper meetings - they have off-duty HPD officers on site at random times - I dont want to say they are patrolling - because they aren't really doing that!

I haven't heard of any issues for several months -

Overall the complex is nice - huge pool....fairly quiet....

• 5 weeks later...

A little late, but.... thanks for all the replies.

We ended up renting a house in Woodland Heights. Great neighborhood, though the trains are a little louder than I expected.

Ironically, our truck was broken into a week after we moved here. All they took was a crappy portable CD player that can't even handle MP3's. Wish they hadn't busted out the back window to get it.

Archived