Downtown's Old Potential

Montrose1100

I guess I never realized how small, and big, Downtown is until I loaded up my google earth. I don't know if its the actual boundaries, but it seems like Downtown is the center of all the freeways. (The entire center). Look at this picture:

fb9g1d.jpg

© Google 2003

The skyline is only a small section of all the city blocks. I wonder how big it would be if all the blocks (expecially the ocean of surface parking lots) where to have Mid-rises or High-rises. The skyline is in an odd shape, lining down Lousiana Street, and south towards the G.R.B.

How long, or big, do you think Houston's skyline would be compared to the big 3? New York, Chicago, and Hong Kong.

Do you think theres a future to all this land? Surely its value is astronomical.

it would certainly be a lot bigger and denser than it is now, but I don't think it would be as big as the big 3 yet, i think the skyline will have to go outside of the loop to compare in size and density to them.

And of course, i think there is a future for that land, it's already in the process. Now it is just a matter of time that the land is filled up and Downtown will look even more beautiful than what it is now.

I have high expectations for the city.

*You'll notice this was taken around early 2003. Most neighborhoods don't show up, and are only grass patches. The Toyota center is being constructed, along with 1000 Main (Reliant Energy Plaza), Galleria III, Calpine Cneter, Hilton Ameicas Hotel, Reliant Stadium, and the GRB expansion. Also, the Taz Texas Tornado is still at Astroworld! This might have been early 2002. I'm not so sure. somewhere between 2002-2003.

Edited by Montrose1100

Well different sections of the city are different years. I know a few months ago they put these newer pictures for downtown (they are also higher resolution than the old ones). But the areas in the east and north of that pic are denser than they appear. From that altitude some blocks that have buildings appear to only be surface lots. As for skylines ours won't be as linear as NYC's and chicago's just because we don't have a lake or river restricting it. Also I love how the skyline looks when heading west on I-10 as wou exit onto 59. You have dense, shorter, older buildings in the foreground. While in the back are the tall post modern buildings.

looking at Houston coming north on 288 is something special.... from the Galleria to the west then over to Greenway to the Med Center to Downtown you get a real good feel of just how many skyscrapers we have and how huge the place really is.... there is no doubt that if everything were just a little closer together that we would have a massive city center..

looking at Houston coming north on 288 is something special.... from the Galleria to the west then over to Greenway to the Med Center to Downtown you get a real good feel of just how many skyscrapers we have and how huge the place really is.... there is no doubt that if everything were just a little closer together that we would have a massive city center..

I think there are 2 utopian views of the entire skyline. One, from the Dungeon drop, seeing from out of Katy-Galleria-Greenway-(+)Huntington-Downtown.

Also, the view from the San J. Monument, seeing The Galleria, its looks almost right next to Downtown. A "Little Manhattan".

Manifest Destiny... The Belief that Downtown should reach the west loop.

*Midtowncoog, what does this have to do with the topic?

Edited by Montrose1100

Coog, that is a view of downtown Minneapolis from the Northwest, across the river. On the east, south and west sides, downtown is hemmed in a bit more by freeways. However, unlike Houston's brilliant visionaries, Minneapolis doesn't build it's freeways as high into the air as possible. Therefore, even though the freeways are there, they don't hog the view.

BTW - my all-time favorite Houston freeway design? The Katy Fwy HOV, soaring 60-70 feet in the air. Beautiful. <_<

Coog, that is a view of downtown Minneapolis from the Northwest, across the river. On the east, south and west sides, downtown is hemmed in a bit more by freeways. However, unlike Houston's brilliant visionaries, Minneapolis doesn't build it's freeways as high into the air as possible. Therefore, even though the freeways are there, they don't hog the view.

BTW - my all-time favorite Houston freeway design? The Katy Fwy HOV, soaring 60-70 feet in the air. Beautiful. <_<

Agreed that the elevated freeways are ugly, but what really makes that picture of Minneapolis nice is the green space, instead of a view of surface parking lots. Just like Houston, it probably depends on the angle. Our downtown looks like is surrounded by parkland on photos taken down Allen Pkwy.

I read in a circa-1965 magazine article that, when it was built, it was thought that the I-10/Pierce Elevated/59 "loop" around downtown would help spur downtown redevelopment, which was a concern because downtown was getting a bit ratty by then. The idea was that having the freeways define a downtown boundary for the first time would somehow concentrate new development. I don't think the theory really panned out, though.