Proposed Downtown Cabo Sign

Subdude

Good. Everyone, please send the email, even if there is nothing extra in it. Prairie Street is not a good spot for a 77 foot long light show. This will just be an advertising board for Cabo and whoever rents space from them. We have enough advertising without this monstrosity.

WOW. I am all for historic preservation, but this sounds kind of neat with the whole led screens. How would this be doing damage to the existing buildings? It sounds like it will make for a good contrast in the area to. LED screens with historic buildings. I cannot get a picture in my head of how this could look though.

I got to admit, I wouldn't mind seeing a little more modern advertising going on in downtown. I'm not saying I'm for a 77 foot sign that says "CABO!" and "$1.99 Beers Monday - Friday! Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!!!" That could quickly turn downtown into the Orlando tourist strips. But I do like the signs on Jones Hall that advertise the upcoming shows. very tasteful and very modern I think. Seeing some more signs like this in some parts gives some of the Times Square/ advanced feel. Could be cool in the Main Street square area.

I actually misquoted the article. It is 77 feet on Travis, AND another 109 feet on Prairie. Think Reliant Stadium or Toyota Center. Those annoying flashing lights that surround the upper decks...except, remember, they are not doing this to impress, but to ADVERTISE...nonstop.

I think this type of amusement has its place, too. And maybe that is down by Main Street Square. Possibly on or around the Pavillion shops. But, on historic 2 story buildings? Please. Loosen restrictions on neon and other signage, but 186 FEET of LEDs, 3 FEET 7 INCHES tall, on a 5000 square foot building is too much. Remember, if they let Cabo do it, they have to let everyone do it.

Hell, they need something to attract people to go downtown. At lease Cabo's is thinking.

I think it would repel people instead of attract any. It would turn any beginnings of a classy Downtown that we might be in the process of developing into sleazeball central. Besides, if they're reading the sign they're already Downtown.

Bright lights/big city doesn't belong in a Historic District. The idea is to appear a tad like Houston circa 1920, not Vegas circa 2005. Do we really want Downtown to look like I-45 North? What would be next, a giant, inflatable Jefe doll floating above Main St.?

While I'm not against a little flair and creativity splashed around, it's good to see some of the selfish crap that people try to get away with here in Houston, and usually do, get stimied for a change.

Hell, they need something to attract people to go downtown. At lease Cabo's is thinking.

Trust me, I doubt an neon advertisement will bring people downtown. That would be quite a waste of time and they would be pretty moronic.

WOW. I am all for historic preservation, but this sounds kind of neat with the whole led screens. How would this be doing damage to the existing buildings? It sounds like it will make for a good contrast in the area to. LED screens with historic buildings. I cannot get a picture in my head of how this could look though.

The damage would be covering up the restorations. I'm all for big flashy signs...it's just that this is not the place to do it in. Maybe further south on Main from, say, Foleys to the hideous Pierce elevated?

B)

Archived