Historic Houston Restaurants

groovehouse

how about kip's big boy (in some states it was bob's big boy)? i remember as a kid trying to eat that double decker hamburger, which was before mcdonalds came up with their big mac. we would go to the one on westheimer and bellaire.

i googled it and their are still big boys on the west coast, around the great lakes and some other states. nothing near texas.

• 2 weeks later...

Dirty's, used to be located on Durham just south of I-10. Great chicken-fried steak

Strawberry Patch on Westheimer where Pappas Bros Steakhouse is now. Also great chicken fried steak, as well as the best hot blueberry muffins ever created, included free in your bread basket.

Harry's Kenya, a great upscale restaurant downtown.

The San Jacinto Inn - great seafood. Right by the Battleship Texas - NOT to be confused with the Monument Inn.

Tuffy's Seafood down on Galveston

The original Mariposa lunchroom in Neiman's at the Galleria - it used to be on the 1st floor right by the entrance to the mall, now that area is a cosmetics counter

The Sakowitz downtown lunchroom. The Sakowitz Post Oak lunchroom, for that matter. Great orange rolls in the bread basket

The original downtown James Coney Island

Las Brasas mexican restaurant on Kuykendahl just south of FM 1960

Dong Ting's very upscale chinese restaurant, in the same little area as Brennan's (and I'm looking forward to Brennan's reopening)

Cafe Artiste off Mandell and West Main

Hills Pier 19 in Galveston, now a (shudder) Joe's Crab Shack. Also Strand Street Brewery, now a Fuddruckers.

Zan's down in Galveston. I can't remember when this closed. Fortunately, I got a taste of Zan's cooking again in 2004 when he catered my wedding. Oh, yeah, Phoenix bakery down there did my wedding cakes, and now they are closed.

Cafe Miami, a cuban restaurant off Bissonnett at Hilcroft

Dolce and Freddo

Pino's on Westheimer and Hilcroft

Cafe Montrose

I remember it well. Great place, started as a joint venture between Brennan clan and the guy who owned the Empress on 1960 and had great food. But this location was cursed as difficult to see and turn into the parkin lot from this busy intersection

Guy from empress - was that Richard, or Scott Chen?

Dirty's, used to be located on Durham just south of I-10. Great chicken-fried steak

Strawberry Patch on Westheimer where Pappas Bros Steakhouse is now. Also great chicken fried steak, as well as the best hot blueberry muffins ever created, included free in your bread basket.

The San Jacinto Inn - great seafood. Right by the Battleship Texas - NOT to be confused with the Monument Inn.

The original Mariposa lunchroom in Neiman's at the Galleria - it used to be on the 1st floor right by the entrance to the mall, now that area is a cosmetics counter

The Sakowitz downtown lunchroom. The Sakowitz Post Oak lunchroom, for that matter. Great orange rolls in the bread basket

Dong Ting's very upscale chinese restaurant, in the same little area as Brennan's (and I'm looking forward to Brennan's reopening)

Hills Pier 19 in Galveston, now a (shudder) Joe's Crab Shack. Also Strand Street Brewery, now a Fuddruckers.

Zan's down in Galveston. I can't remember when this closed. Fortunately, I got a taste of Zan's cooking again in 2004 when he catered my wedding. Oh, yeah, Phoenix bakery down there did my wedding cakes, and now they are closed.

Dolce and Freddo

Cafe Montrose

It was Scott Chen.

Beef and Bird

I miss this restaurant on Wilcrest. It was formal and had an east coast feel to it with great wild game especially the wild boar with plum sauce as well as the salmon pate with the bread as a starter. The more casual french place by the same chef isnt as good for my taste.. le Cep I believe it is called.

Dolce and Freddo

Cafe Montrose

Dirty's is gone? I had no idea. It seems like that was there forever.

I only ate at Dong Tings a couple of times but it seemed WAY overrated.

Without reading the whole thread, I don't believe anyone has mentioned Texas Steak Ranch. It was in a big log cabin looking building one block south of Richmond and Fountainview behind what is now Barrys Pizza. Which back then was Baby Janes Saloon. Texas Steak Ranch had what was back then the best Chicken Fried Steak in Houston and was one of my first introductions to Buttermilk Salad dressing before it became popular.

joe

Without reading the whole thread, I don't believe anyone has mentioned Texas Steak Ranch. It was in a big log cabin looking building one block south of Richmond and Fountainview behind what is now Barrys Pizza. Which back then was Baby Janes Saloon. Texas Steak Ranch had what was back then the best Chicken Fried Steak in Houston and was one of my first introductions to Buttermilk Salad dressing before it became popular.

joe

Well thank you for that Joe. I may have mentioned it somewhere in this thread (I know I've posted about it somewhere) but I could not remember the name and others have suggested I was remembering Dirty's which I think had a place on Chimney Rock about the same time.

Yes, that was probably the best CFS I ever had

Dirty's isn't listed at all anymore on B4-U-EAT, so I suspect the other location's closed too.

Dirtys had two locations one I believe where you say on Chimney Rock and the other in the Heights somewhere. It was a white wooden clapboard siding building with green trim. They were more famous for their burgers, but I think you are right they are both gone.

joe

My favorite restaurant in the 70's was The Happy Buddha on lower Westheimer. It burned multiple times in the 80's.

I loved Hamburgers by Gourmet. There used to be a number of locations, even a few in Austin.

I loved Chili's way back at the beginning when damn near all they had was Chili Dogs.

Favorite Chinese was Timmy Chan's on Main (Or maybe Fannin or San Jacinto) between 59 and the Med Center.

Bonanza was a pit. The Sizzler was the place to go for quality.

Albriton's Cafeteria.

Spud-U-Like on lower Westheimer.

The River Cafe on Montrose.

Stak's on Montrose.

The Pot Pie (before they were a pizza place)

Horsey Burger!

Beef and Bird

I miss this restaurant on Wilcrest. It was formal and had an east coast feel to it with great wild game especially the wild boar with plum sauce as well as the salmon pate with the bread as a starter. The more casual french place by the same chef isnt as good for my taste.. le Cep I believe it is called.

The Beef and Bird was great...I grew up about two stones throws from there

If I recall correctly, Sizzler later became the Strawberry Patch and then Pappa's Steak House. Circus Circus on Westheimer became Pappadeaux's. The Bonanza on Stella Link became a True Value Hardware and then later West U Lawnmower.

Remember Cookies, Goodies and More on lower Westheimer? Yum.

There was also The Brasserie on West Alabama, next to Pasternak's Grocery and Steak & Egg over by Zim's.

joe

I believe that log cabin became Outback Pub (NOT affiliated with the Outback Steakhouse Chain). I used to go to Outback Pub a decent amount in '98-'99 when I lived in that area right after moving back to Houston after college (before I moved into town).

Dirtys had two locations one I believe where you say on Chimney Rock and the other in the Heights somewhere. It was a white wooden clapboard siding building with green trim. They were more famous for their burgers, but I think you are right they are both gone.

joe

The Heights location was at Durham just south of I-10, now a Cyclone Anaya's is on the site.

• 2 months later...

New to the forum, but wanted to throw in my fav restaurants I went to with my parents as a young child in the late '60's and early '70's:

Kapan's

Sonny Look's (my mom says there was a waiter there that used to carry me around as a baby and show me off to other restaurant patrons; we went there so often that the staff would always bring me rice and gravy - I suppose it was a favorite of mine)

Timmy Chan's

Trader Vic's

Farrell's

Kip's Big Boy

House of Pies (believe they are still in business, not sure if in the same location)

I grew up on the edge of West U on Bissonnet across from the Coca-Cola Bottling Plant before moving to the west side on Memorial Drive and Highway 6 in Fleetwood (quite a change for a 12 year old in '77). I remember a bakery somewhere near West U that had wonderful cakes and pastries (can't think of the name of it) but I think it was near the old Rice Supermarket in the area.

Great memories!

Perhaps you are thinking of Mueller's Bakery in The Village? It was wonderful and only about a block south from Rice grocery store. Great to hear from a neighbor, I lived on University Blvd. in West University Place from 1941-1981, so I know it throughout at long history. Moved back in 1993, stayed til 1996 and my daughter still lives there. Any questions, will be glad to help.

By the way, loved Timmy Chan's in Greenway, such elegant presentation of food. How about the tall, footed, pierced silver rice servers? Miss so many of the the great restaurants.

'Reefmonkey' date='Friday, March 13th, 2009 @ 12:03pm'

I remember Cafe Artiste. I had lunch there once in the early 90's with one of the interior designers at the firm where I worked. I really don't remember much about the food but it was a cozy place. Something is there now too that looks like a bistro of sorts. I'll drive by this afternoon and see if I can figure out what exactly it is now.

'Reefmonkey' date='Friday, March 13th, 2009 @ 12:03pm'

I remember Cafe Artiste. I had lunch there once in the early 90's with one of the interior designers at the firm where I worked. I really don't remember much about the food but it was a cozy place. Something is there now too that looks like a bistro of sorts. I'll drive by this afternoon and see if I can figure out what exactly it is now.

Is that where the former owner of LaMora is opening her restaurant? No wait, I can't remember, but it should be coming soon. Speaking of:

LaMora

joe

Are you Joe I.?

When I was in high school, we used to go tot he Texas Steak Ranch. THey had fabulous tamales and they introduced me to what I now know as Ranch dressing.

Perhaps you are thinking of Mueller's Bakery in The Village? It was wonderful and only about a block south from Rice grocery store. Great to hear from a neighbor, I lived on University Blvd. in West University Place from 1941-1981, so I know it throughout at long history. Moved back in 1993, stayed til 1996 and my daughter still lives there. Any questions, will be glad to help.

By the way, loved Timmy Chan's in Greenway, such elegant presentation of food. How about the tall, footed, pierced silver rice servers? Miss so many of the the great restaurants.

Mueller's is now on Holcombe/Bellaire just east of the RRtracks near the Palace Bowling Lanes. It is in a building that originally was a Howard Johnson's in the 50s and early 60s. It was several other incarnations including a vet office in the years between the HoJo and Bakery.

Mueller's! That is it. Thank you for jogging my memory. And yes, Timmy Chan's in Greenway. I loved it. I thank my parents for exposing me to so much when I was young.

Not sure it's been mentioned here, but growing up in Houston I remember going with the family to a special steak place off nroth Shepherd several times per year during the 1970's and very early '80's. Ducho's Steak House.

I loved that place. The real baked potatoes with the condiments tray, the ice burg lettuce salads and juicy steaks cooked to order . . . and the little picks that were stuck in each steak to confirm your steak choice.