Opinions On Housotn And Dallas

bkueb73

More than likely moving next summer from Tampa.

My two choices (cause of work) are Houston and Dallas.

Right now, I dont know which is more me....

Im finishing up my BA(Finance/IB), so I need to be kinda close to a public University(paying for it myself)

Im kinda freaky(smart way), like cultural stuff(museums, theater, bookstores)

and BEING WARM(or at least not cold)

Oh, and as a single guy, I REALLY like babes....

So, any opinions on which city is more me? <_<

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im finishing up my BA(Finance/IB), so I need to be kinda close to a public University(paying for it myself)

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a Houston vs Dallas thread but...

I can say Houston sounds a bit more for you because:

1. its warmer, no snow, humid in the summer like Florida

2. tons of museums (museum district) and a big theatre district (near Midtown/Downtown)

3. University of Houston and UofH downtown are both close to #2

4. college = babes (in most cases)

Dallas also has 2,3,and 4 but I can't say much about 2 since I never lived in Dallas

I know Fort Worth has some good museums.

I think you need to remember where you're asking this question. I will not attempt to answer the cultural stuff, because both areas can vary tremendously depending in different areas and that's not my area of expertise. For instance Dallas has a lot of museums, but I don't know how they compare in quality to Houston.

Climate and weather however are my thing.

Both Houston and Dallas are much more extreme than Tampa. Tampa has a climate that is moderated by the gulf and more importantly, by the isolation from cold fronts coming from Canada. Houston is about halfway between Dallas and Tampa weather in most ways, as Houston also gets moderation from the gulf moisture/temperature and just a bit more protection from northern fronts.

I assume warmth is most important to you in winter. Houston is about 7 degrees colder than Tampa during the coldest parts of winter (around January). This doesn't sound like much but 7 degrees averaged over 30 days is a very clear change. Dallas is about the same 7

I think you need to remember where you're asking this question. I will not attempt to answer the cultural stuff, because both areas can vary tremendously depending in different areas and that's not my area of expertise. For instance Dallas has a lot of museums, but I don't know how they compare in quality to Houston.

Climate and weather however are my thing.

Both Houston and Dallas are much more extreme than Tampa. Tampa has a climate that is moderated by the gulf and more importantly, by the isolation from cold fronts coming from Canada. Houston is about halfway between Dallas and Tampa weather in most ways, as Houston also gets moderation from the gulf moisture/temperature and just a bit more protection from northern fronts.

I assume warmth is most important to you in winter. Houston is about 7 degrees colder than Tampa during the coldest parts of winter (around January). This doesn't sound like much but 7 degrees averaged over 30 days is a very clear change. Dallas is about the same 7

Dr. Neil? Is that you? Just kidding..

I would think that if you are looking for the warmer of the two, you should look at Houston. You'll be that much closer to Galveston & other coastal towns which, in the summer, tend to equal girls in bikini's. There are also more than a few clubs here with plenty of scantly clad twenty-somethings. And as mentioned above, U of H has an excellent business school you could finish your degree at as well.

As for the museums, you could move to any major city and get your fill. I don't think musuems will be your deciding factor either way.

Good luck either way, and most importantly: Welcome To Texas. ;)

Some Houston Destinations:

Universities and Colleges:

Rice University

University of Houston, main campus

University of Houston downtown

University of Houston Clear Lake

University of St. Thomas

Texas Southern University

Houston Baptist University

Woman's University

South Texas College of Law

Baylor College of Medicine

University of Texas Health Science Center Houston

University of Texas Graduate School of Business

Prairie View A&M University

Houston Community College

San Jacinto College

Museum District

Contemporary Arts Museum Houston

Houston Museum of Natural Science

Museum of Fine Arts Houston(MFAH)

The Children's Museum of Houston

Holocaust Museum Houston

Byzantine Fresco Chapel Museum

Buffalo Soldiers National Museum

Houston Center for Photography

The Jung Center of Houston

Lawndale Art Center

John P. McGovern Museum of Health & Medical Science

The Menil Collection

Rice University Art Gallery

The Rothko Chapel

http://www.houstonmuseumdistrict.org/html/...rict_-_inst.htm

Theater District's resident performing arts companies are:

Alley Theatre

Broadway in Houston

Da Camera of Houston

Houston Ballet

Houston Grand Opera

Houston Symphony

Society for the Performing Arts

Theatre Under The Stars (TUTS)

http://www.downtownhouston.org/home/programs/programs1/

DOWNTOWN HOUSTON

Clubs, Bars, Pubs, Restaurants

and other destinations

10/7/04 (some venues have changed name)

Total Bar/Restaurant Count: 115

NORTH DOWNTOWN HISTORIC DISTRICT:

MARKET SQUARE (14):

La Carafe (Oldest bldg. in Houston)

Twelve Spot

Cotton Exchange Bar

Blu Torch

Les Givrals (French Vietnamese Fusion)

La Tapatia bar and grill

Club Paesanos

Warrens

Market Square Bar and Grill (Great patio at back)

Treebeards Restaurant (limited hours)

CharBar (tailor by day, bar by night)

Red Cat Jazz Cafe (restaurant/bar)

Wasabi (Japanese)

Kim Son (Vietnamese)

FRANKLIN AVENUE/COMMERCE AVENUE (14):

Six Degrees Lounge (Formerly Dusk)

New Orleans Cajun Kitchen (formerly Kairo Caf

Couple of corrections to your list:

Thermal closed

Limelite closed

Firehouse closed

F2 is now 306 Lounge (no food)

Cotton Exchange closed, I think

Cafe Complique now Napoli'sLittle Italy

Wasabi closed

Kim Son closed

El Centro now open...formerly Saba (yay!)

Yea, my list is a year old. I also noticed some new places that popped up that are not on the list, including a place next to Saude. Teahouse is now open for business too, I think.

A couple of the universities listed are not public and are expensive, i.e., Rice and St. Thomas. Left off the list was Houston Baptist University, which is also not public. UT just opened a branch of its Graduate Business School here.

As far as museums, if you're talking art, MFAH and the Menil in Houston and the Carter in Fort Worth are probably the best in the state. Also not mentioned was the Sculpture garden at MFAH. As far as other types of museums, also left off the lists were the Harris County Heritage Society Museum and Historical Park, the Houston Fire Museum and a museum at the San Jacinto Monument, plus the Battleship Texas.

In Houston you're close to Galveston which has several attractions in addition to the beaches. Here's a link to the Galveston Historical Museum which has links to other sites of interest to museum goers:

http://www.galvestonhistory.org/plc-gchm.htm

Regarding the weather, the cold here, when it does happen, can be bone-chilling because of the humidity. I know a guy who moved here from Colorado to get away from the winters and complained the whole first year about how cold it was here. There are many years when we only flirt with the freezing mark, tho, and summer sometimes seems to start about mid-February and last till October or November, but that 's probably the same for Dallas.

We're big on diversity and inclusiveness here. There are Blacks, Middle-easterners, Orientals, etc., in just about any neighborhood or apartment complex, tho some may tend to congregate in certain neighborhoods. As far as Hispanics, which Continent?, which country?, which Mexican state? They're all represented here. All of which makes for some very good and frequently cheap eating, btw.

I've been fascinated by Houston since the 50s when I was a kid and still am. There was a brief time when I thought Dallas was more sophisticated and cosmopolitan, but no longer. If I was making the choice I'd have different criteria. If I lived in N. Texas, I'd choose Fort Worth for the people and still be close to Dallas for the amenities it does have to offer.

My advice would be to try to spend some time in both cities before you move.

I think my biggest problems with Housotn are

1 - - HURRICANES!!!! Coming from Florida, I am sick of them. Its very stressful(as youve recenlty witnessed).

2 - - Houston just doesnt seem to be thinking ahread transportation wise right now. Heard they decided to stop expanding the rail line. Thats just nuts. We cant keep building roads forever.

lemme spell it right for once. Houston. ugh, type too fast(and not too well)

1 - - HURRICANES!!!! Coming from Florida, I am sick of them. Its very stressful(as youve recenlty witnessed).

2 - - Houston just doesnt seem to be thinking ahread transportation wise right now. Heard they decided to stop expanding the rail line. Thats just nuts. We cant keep building roads forever.

1 -- Hurricanes, yes all gulf cities have this problem. Although hurricanes seem to weaken a bit going to the west gulf so it seems like Houston has weaker hurricanes when they land but of course still damaging. Houston is also 50 miles inland so most of the severe damage occurs at Galveston when one hits. Also Hurricanes rarely land directly on Houston (1983 was the last one)

2 -- True Houston is way behind with rail but they are not stopping on rail expansion. They actually have a big plan just going to take time.

You must be mistaken. During the light rail referrendum we were assured by the opposition that no one would ever base their decision to live in Houston on the availability of public transportation. The idea was ridiculed and called outright absurd. For you to suggest that tranit is a quality of life issue automatically disqualifies you from living in Kingwood, Conroe, or Sugar Land. ;)

That's just not true AT ALL. Metro is currently planning its second phase of light rail. I believe this phase will build approximately 100 miles of light rail by 2012, including lines between UH and the Galleria, the southeast line (from downtown past UH to the South Loop), and a north line.

The first phase of Houston's light rail just opened on Jan. 1, 2004.

Houston DID suffer from decades of non-forward thinking leaders who refused to build rail, but thankfully rail is FINALLY here.

Just a warning, though...there'll be lots of growing pains as the next 100 miles of rail are built inside the city, just like there was lots of growing pains in the Main Street light rail corridor.

2 - - Houston just doesnt seem to be thinking ahread transportation wise right now. Heard they decided to stop expanding the rail line. Thats just nuts.

Houston isn't going to be expanding rail? What? I thought they were awarded some Federal money for expansion? Or at least to do the BRT system ?

What's all the hub hub about Houston and Hurricanes? Houston hasn't been hit by a hurricane since 1983 with Alicia, and before that was carla which I believe was in 1960.

Coming from LA and dealing with earthquakes which are far more prevelent than Houston Hurricanes, I can say I'll take a hurricane anyday. At least you can hide.

As far as your question between H-Town and Big D you won't go wrong either way. However if you want the big city feel, Houston is your place. I've been here about 10 years now and have fallen in love with Houston. It's strange to say but theres just something in the air down here, almost like theres more energy. I know that's sounds cheesey but for me it's true.

In an article Monday on lessons learned from Rita, County Judge Bob Eckels stated that the evacuation fiasco pointed up the need for an express rail line from Galveston. Far from ditching rail, even rail opponents are now saying we need it.

Obviously, Eckels was referring to commuter rail, but rail is rail, and he saw a clear value in having rail in situations like Rita.

What's all the hub hub about Houston and Hurricanes? Houston hasn't been hit by a hurricane since 1983 with Alicia, and before that was carla which I believe was in 1960.

Coming from LA and dealing with earthquakes which are far more prevelent than Houston Hurricanes, I can say I'll take a hurricane anyday. At least you can hide.

Are you serious? Hurricanes and tropical storms are a big deal. Can you recall all the way back to 2001 when Allison hit Houston? 5 billion in damage.

Heck, look at 2004. Ivan, Frances, and Charley. Something like 30 or 40 billion between them. I watched cars float down the road as far north as Pittsburgh PA from Ivan.

I bet Hurricanes will do more damage in $ in the past 2 years than earthquakes have done in the past 100 years of US History.

I am happy Houston is built up so far inland. I'd much prefer to Houston rather than say New Orleans which is built in a poor location. Could you imagine if New Orleans got Allison????

Jason

I'd much prefer to Houston rather than say New Orleans which is built in a poor location.

When the French originally chose New Orleans, it was a good location. They picked the highest point they could, yet still be able to control the river. This is why the French Quarter never flooded during Katrina. How were they, or anyone else at the time, to know that one day the city would stretch to Lake Pontchartrain and beyond? I doubt the Allen brothers thought any different when they bought their land around Buffalo Bayou either. ;)

Are you serious? Hurricanes and tropical storms are a big deal. Can you recall all the way back to 2001 when Allison hit Houston? 5 billion in damage.

Heck, look at 2004. Ivan, Frances, and Charley. Something like 30 or 40 billion between them. I watched cars float down the road as far north as Pittsburgh PA from Ivan.

I bet Hurricanes will do more damage in $ in the past 2 years than earthquakes have done in the past 100 years of US History.

I am happy Houston is built up so far inland. I'd much prefer to Houston rather than say New Orleans which is built in a poor location. Could you imagine if New Orleans got Allison????

Jason

The point I was making was in reference to them being stressful in regards to safety. Further, although I did forget Alison your still making my point for me. The pont is...... Serious hurricane or tropical damage in Houston is fairly rare.

Ivan, Francis and Charley have nothing to do with this point.

The pont is...... Serious hurricane or tropical damage in Houston is fairly rare.

Ok, it has been a whole 4 years so yes its quite rare.

As for stress, I've lived in CA and TX for about the same amount of time and in my experience Hurricanes cause more stress in people than earthquakes, as they should IMO.

jason

Ok, it has been a whole 4 years so yes its quite rare.

As for stress, I've lived in CA and TX for about the same amount of time and in my experience Hurricanes cause more stress in people than earthquakes, as they should IMO.

jason

C'mon, I was speaking of the last 40 plus years, not what happened 4 years ago. Follow the context.

Imo hurricanes cause more stress because you know there coming, earthquakes on the other hand hit without warning. If you lived in LA during the North Ridge quake you would understand how bewidered and scared people were.

Bottom line is that I was making a point about the quantity of hurricanes that hit Houston. Is it possible for one to hit here? of course. History however shows that it's pretty rare over the last 100 years.

Nobody has responded to the single guy part........

I am a Houstonian, I love this city, never plan to leave, yada, yada, yada. I, however, will concede to Dallas on the babe factor. Not to say they aren't here (they are!), but Dallas probably has more per capita than we do.

Nobody has responded to the single guy part........

I am a Houstonian, I love this city, never plan to leave, yada, yada, yada. I, however, will concede to Dallas on the babe factor. Not to say they aren't here (they are!), but Dallas probably has more per capita than we do.

Your opinion is based on what fact? Give me a break pal, who knows who has better looking women, their are beautiful women in every city...... I have been to a Mavs game and thought, wow their are a lot of women made out of plastic here, A lot of face and lip jobs.

What a minute, here is an opinion Houston has beautiful South American women every where, beautiful white women, beautiful yellow-boned women. Dallas has basicly fake women who look like ____, and ghetto-hood rats. Houston by far has more beautiful women.

I play in a lot of clubs in Texas including Dallas and I have noticed exactly the opposite of what you guys are saying. In fact I've never seen more hot women per capita than I have in Houston. Hell, let me generalize and say all of Texas.

I have never been to a state including California that had so many beautiful women. ALL HAIL TEXAS!

Archived