Opinions On Housotn And Dallas

bkueb73

Man, this is a debate that no one can win. Individual tastes cannot be quantified. :P

My personal preference happens to run toward those women who look good in the morning...without the makeup. For me, that means Houston.

However, I can't say that my eyes hurt when I lived in Dallas or Fort Worth, though. Like Gary said, they look good everywhere in Texas, including Dallas. ;)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

opinions aside, from my experience from going out (which i've done countless times in both cities), there are tons of good looking girls in both cities, but in dallas its more white, plastic, and makeup.

and don't forget about UT Austin, there's so much to see there its unreal.

whether you're in dallas or houston, you're only 2.5 hours away from 6th street!

But i could swear I heard they were replacing the rail lines with buses.... :unsure:

Umm no, the current rail line is going to stay, and future rail lines will have rails installed and covered. BRT will ride on the path (somewhat similar to LRT, slightly reduced capacity, and still technically a bus). When ridership demands it, the lines will be uncovered, overhead wires put in, and trains will ride on the tracks. This was done to speed up construction of the lines. Oh and I almost forgot to mention the line from UH to uptown will be LRT.

well, I do like the babes(as long as their nice and sweet, not snobby and b***y!!!)

But i could swear I heard they were replacing the rail lines with buses.... :unsure:

They are not permanently replacing the rail lines with buses. They are however temporarily putting in BRTs as place holders for rail for a few lines. BRTs are train-like buses that run similar to light rail. The rails will still be built and all the BRTs will be trains in the future.

They also sped up the progress on commuter rail to the suburban cities/towns. The big hurricane rita scare also will probably push the rail progress even more.

I play in a lot of clubs in Texas including Dallas and I have noticed exactly the opposite of what you guys are saying. In fact I've never seen more hot women per capita than I have in Houston. Hell, let me generalize and say all of Texas.

I have never been to a state including California that had so many beautiful women. ALL HAIL TEXAS!

Gary, you stay your @$$ out of Texas, we don't need any "carpetbaggin musicians" comin down here tryin' to steal our women folk. You, with your "let me play you a little tune miss." Next thing you know she in the back of your tour bus, and your foggin up the windows, and then I can't see hardly anything. That just won't work for me. :angry:;)

Gary, you stay your @$$ out of Texas, we don't need any "carpetbaggin musicians" comin down here tryin' to steal our women folk. You, with your "let me play you a little tune miss." Next thing you know she in the back of your tour bus, and your foggin up the windows, and then I can't see hardly anything. That just won't work for me. :angry:;)

Ha, ha. Maybe if you make it to one of the shows I can hook you up. :P

i registered just to answer this... (i've lurked for a while now...)

I was born in Indiana and moved to Houston when I was 5 years old.

I grew up in Houston.

I moved to Austin (which you may also be interested in) to go to UT and stayed there for seven years. (no, i did not spend all 7 in school!)

I moved from Austin back to Indianapolis.

I left Indianapolis after 10 months (too cold).

I moved to San Antonio for a year.

I moved to San Marcos for a year.

I moved back to Austin for two years.

I'm back in Houston for good.

I've been to Tampa a few times. I've had too much to drink in Ybor City (and have gone nuts at the Amphitheater). I've been to Clearwater (and think it's a cool place).

If you like Tampa, the closest thing to Tampa in Texas is Houston... Strip clubs? Check. Sports? Check. Restaurants (which I haven't seen much of in Tampa)? Check. Night life? Check.

All the stuff you mentioned - universities, museums, and culture of all sorts.

The thing Houston doesn't have is blue-green water on the coast. The beaches of Galveston are nice, but the water is brown-green at best (unless you go out about half a mile... if you have a boat, you're set.)

My father lives in Dallas. My college roommate lives in Dallas. My college roommate's little brother lives in Dallas (he lived with me here in Houston for a few months.) They've all talked about moving to Houston. They all live in the suburbs north of Dallas (Frisco, Lake Dallas.)

Dallas is all-suburb, no city. (ok, some city, but not like Houston.)

Good luck.

Man, this is sure a nice thread to keep up with for info on Houston. We are moving to the city in a couple of months and the info on the weather by Jason and the stuff and places to go by 2112 was more than great.

the best way to sum up Houston and Dallas comparison.

Houston is more "city" while Dallas is more "metropolitan" or suburban.

Both places have their own unique attributes but having lived in both places, i found Houston to have a little bit of everything. If you want a beach, although not on the top choices of beaches, Galveston is a short drive away.

In Dallas, if you want a some downtown excitement (or nightlife), then Fort Worth downtown is about a 30 minute drive away. While Dallas does have some interesting projects going up around it's central core, it mainly caters to the business crowd. In Houston, if you want nightlife, you have the newly developed Main Street downtown with more entertainment projects to come! Also you can find pockets of activity when you drive through Montrose, Westhemer and Richmond Strips.

Both places are great but it depends on what you're looking for.

Some Houston Destinations:

Universities and Colleges:

Rice University

University of Houston, main campus

University of Houston downtown

University of Houston Clear Lake

University of St. Thomas

Texas Southern University

Houston Baptist University

Woman's University

South Texas College of Law

Baylor College of Medicine

University of Texas Health Science Center Houston

University of Texas Graduate School of Business

Prairie View A&M University

Houston Community College

San Jacinto College

Museum District

Contemporary Arts Museum Houston

Houston Museum of Natural Science

Museum of Fine Arts Houston(MFAH)

The Children's Museum of Houston

Holocaust Museum Houston

Byzantine Fresco Chapel Museum

Buffalo Soldiers National Museum

Houston Center for Photography

The Jung Center of Houston

Lawndale Art Center

John P. McGovern Museum of Health & Medical Science

The Menil Collection

Rice University Art Gallery

The Rothko Chapel

http://www.houstonmuseumdistrict.org/html/...rict_-_inst.htm

Theater District's resident performing arts companies are:

Alley Theatre

Broadway in Houston

Da Camera of Houston

Houston Ballet

Houston Grand Opera

Houston Symphony

Society for the Performing Arts

Theatre Under The Stars (TUTS)

http://www.downtownhouston.org/home/programs/programs1/

DOWNTOWN HOUSTON

Clubs, Bars, Pubs, Restaurants

and other destinations

10/7/04 (some venues have changed name)

Total Bar/Restaurant Count: 115

NORTH DOWNTOWN HISTORIC DISTRICT:

MARKET SQUARE (14):

La Carafe (Oldest bldg. in Houston)

Twelve Spot

Cotton Exchange Bar

Blu Torch

Les Givrals (French Vietnamese Fusion)

La Tapatia bar and grill

Club Paesanos

Warrens

Market Square Bar and Grill (Great patio at back)

Treebeards Restaurant (limited hours)

CharBar (tailor by day, bar by night)

Red Cat Jazz Cafe (restaurant/bar)

Wasabi (Japanese)

Kim Son (Vietnamese)

FRANKLIN AVENUE/COMMERCE AVENUE (14):

Six Degrees Lounge (Formerly Dusk)

New Orleans Cajun Kitchen (formerly Kairo Caf

• 2 weeks later...

Houston or Dallas....Either way you lose. They are both located in Texas.

On a more serious note, I have visited all major cities in FL. Except for Miami, no matter which Florida city you are in, they are all pretty much the same. Look the same, feel the same, all seem to have just as many transplanted New Jersey people/New Yorkers. However, when it comes to Houston and Dallas, let alone the other major cities in Texas, they are all VERY different. Take a very close look at each city. In regards to "babes" the odds may be good in both according to previous posters- but the goods may also be odd. Its Texas baby!

DFW generally beats Houston, primarily based on weather. Don't let anyone fool you, the lower humidity makes a huge difference. Even during the middle of summer I've run at midday on shaded trails here in DFW. Would never be able to do that in Houston, the humidity is just too stifling. This year I'd go out at dusk, and it was early October before I got my first mosquito bite of the year. In contrast, Houston is swarming with mosquitoes, I've even gotten them at lunchtime! The cold difference isn't that great, and it almost always warms up within a few days. Just means we get some scenic snow every other year or so, while Houston gets it once every 13 years. Generally DFW has a pleasant climate, though certainly more extreme than California. IMHO the difference between Houston and Tampa's weather has been overstated on this thread, they are pretty similar. Orlando's is almost identical to Houston, if that gives you a reference point. DFW also has hills, some nice places to hike (such as the ridge along Mountain View lake), and doesn't have the flooding that goes with a plywood flat landscape. Some areas of DFW have a good amount of greenery (especially in the cross-timbers area of Tarrant and Johnson counties), though the areas north of Houston have good thick Piney woods. DFW is a 4-5 hour drive closer to the scenic hill/mountain campgrounds of Ozark AR/OK/MO and CO/NM, the same distance to the TX hill country, and 4-5 hours further away from Galveston's beaches (bleh.) Difference is notably less to the better beaches of Corpus Christi and S. Padre Island. So you're options for a weekend getaway within a 3 or so hour drive are greater from DFW. In summer camping in the Ozarks vs. San Marcos can be a big difference, even if by only a few degrees of temperature. Hard for some to sleep when the nightime lows are in the high 70's, but the just 5-10 degree drop makes all the difference in the world. I guess distance to New Orleans won't matter for awhile.

Not much Houston can do to make up for those deficiencies. Otherwise the two are fairly similar, though with zoning DFW tends to have more tidy areas than greater Houston. Also DFW is IMHO easier to get around than Houston, because the centers are more spread out and you can found decent housing at a reasonable price without having to go so far out. Also DFW doesn't have the inferiority complex that some of the Houston boosters carry, you generally don't hear obsessive talk about needing to build X, Y, or Z in order to be a 'World-class city.' IOW, unlike Houston, coach never had to tell DFW, "When you get to the endzone, act like you've been there."

But either place is a great place to live. Very hard to beat the Woodlands (30 miles north of downtown Houston.)

DFW generally beats Houston, primarily based on weather. Don't let anyone fool you, the lower humidity makes a huge difference. Even during the middle of summer I've run at midday on shaded trails here in DFW. Would never be able to do that in Houston, the humidity is just too stifling. This year I'd go out at dusk, and it was early October before I got my first mosquito bite of the year. In contrast, Houston is swarming with mosquitoes, I've even gotten them at lunchtime! The cold difference isn't that great, and it almost always warms up within a few days. Just means we get some scenic snow every other year or so, while Houston gets it once every 13 years. Generally DFW has a pleasant climate, though certainly more extreme than California. IMHO the difference between Houston and Tampa's weather has been overstated on this thread, they are pretty similar. Orlando's is almost identical to Houston, if that gives you a reference point. DFW also has hills, some nice places to hike (such as the ridge along Mountain View lake), and doesn't have the flooding that goes with a plywood flat landscape. Some areas of DFW have a good amount of greenery (especially in the cross-timbers area of Tarrant and Johnson counties), though the areas north of Houston have good thick Piney woods. DFW is a 4-5 hour drive closer to the scenic hill/mountain campgrounds of Ozark AR/OK/MO and CO/NM, the same distance to the TX hill country, and 4-5 hours further away from Galveston's beaches (bleh.) Difference is notably less to the better beaches of Corpus Christi and S. Padre Island. So you're options for a weekend getaway within a 3 or so hour drive are greater from DFW. In summer camping in the Ozarks vs. San Marcos can be a big difference, even if by only a few degrees of temperature. Hard for some to sleep when the nightime lows are in the high 70's, but the just 5-10 degree drop makes all the difference in the world. I guess distance to New Orleans won't matter for awhile.

Not much Houston can do to make up for those deficiencies. Otherwise the two are fairly similar, though with zoning DFW tends to have more tidy areas than greater Houston. Also DFW is IMHO easier to get around than Houston, because the centers are more spread out and you can found decent housing at a reasonable price without having to go so far out. Also DFW doesn't have the inferiority complex that some of the Houston boosters carry, you generally don't hear obsessive talk about needing to build X, Y, or Z in order to be a 'World-class city.' IOW, unlike Houston, coach never had to tell DFW, "When you get to the endzone, act like you've been there."

But either place is a great place to live. Very hard to beat the Woodlands (30 miles north of downtown Houston.)

OKAY, I HAVE quoted proof on how occasionally a dallasite comes here and bashes Houston-

Just a quick side note about Houston and Dallas weather;

I had asked my homeowner's insurance agent if our rates will be going up because of Hurricane Rita. He replied that what has actually had more effect upon the rates for the past ten years is the large amount of claims placed in the Dallas area because of hail damage to their roofs and cars. What a surprise!

OKAY, I HAVE quoted proof on how occasionally a dallasite comes here and bashes Houston-

Thanks for proving my point about the inferiority complex of some of the rabid Hou-boosters.

Nevermind that I've happily lived off and on in Houston for more than 20 years, going back to the 1960's.

BTW, do you know who 'Tootsie' was?

Just a quick side note about Houston and Dallas weather;

I had asked my homeowner's insurance agent if our rates will be going up because of Hurricane Rita. He replied that what has actually had more effect upon the rates for the past ten years is the large amount of claims placed in the Dallas area because of hail damage to their roofs and cars. What a surprise!

Ha, good point! DFW is about as bad as it gets when it comes to hail, and we have more tornadoes per square mile, too (though some areas of the US are worse.)

Didn't have to evacuate for any hurricanes, though.

Ha, good point! DFW is about as bad as it gets when it comes to hail, and we have more tornadoes per square mile, too (though some areas of the US are worse.)

Didn't have to evacuate for any hurricanes, though.

I had more insurance claims in the 9 years I lived in DFW (3) than in the 20 years I have lived in Houston (0).

BTW, I didn't have to evacuate any hurricanes either...neither one. :P

Oh, and if you check the statistics, Dallas' daytime humidity is only a little lower than Houston's, except when Dallas' temperature is higher. The higher humidity in Houston largely occurs in the evening. That's why the temperature at the Texas Rangers games will often be 100 degrees until the 7th or 8th inning. (Remember when the fans would cheer when the temp. FINALLY dropped to 99?) Having lived in both cities, I wouldn't brag on either in June, July, August and part of September, though frankly, I felt Fort Worth was hotter...BARELY. The rest of the year, I'll take Houston, with its milder winters.

The humidity/heat index differences between Houston and the rest of the major cities in Texas is the biggest myth every perpetrated. Statistically, there is virtually no difference, and the heat indecies are often lower in the Houston/Galveston area.

But fine. Perception is far more visceral than reality. At the end of the day, Texas as a whole is extremely hot in the mid-year months. Bickering over who has the more comfortable seat inside the scorching oven is pretty ridiculous.

LOL! This is nothing short of comical.

I find it interesting that almost every Dallas poster talks about our inferiority complex all the while bashing Houston and attempting to qualify why Dallas kicks it's ass. These guys are walking contradictions and I'll go as far as to say that the inferiority complex is on the other foot.

Ironically enough I had business with two guys in Dallas yesterday and all I heard was Houston bashing. Funny thing is that since I've been in Texas I've heard far more Dallasites bash Houston than the other way around. Of course the Dallas posters here act as if they have it all together and us poor stupid Houstonians just need to realize how great they really are. I call a big fat BULLS*#T on these guys and I think this post is proof of that.

Finally to address the heat difference between the two cities as you did is plain rediculous. Dallas may not have quite as much humidity as Houston but it's damn hot. In fact the average temperature is several degrees warmer than here. I was in Dallas last July and it's just as hot as it is here. Also to say you can't jog in the Summer time here VS the mighty big d's fantastic Summers is the joke of the month. Maybe you might take a trip to Memorial Park on anyday and watch the hundreds of runners.

Sorry to all of you to reply to such a long post but I had to comment on this.

Thanks for proving my point about the inferiority complex of some of the rabid Hou-boosters.

Nevermind that I've happily lived off and on in Houston for more than 20 years, going back to the 1960's.

BTW, do you know who 'Tootsie' was?

Who the hell is Tootsie?

Don't worry about the rant, Gary. We've all been lured in by ridiculous comparisons on this subject. In a few hours or days, we'll get a bunch of "Oh, yeah?" retorts about how our freeways, weather, retail and density suck.

For all who are about to post such nonsense, let me go ahead and say y'all are great at everything you do. We only wish we could carry your water...and play in your exquisite dry, summertime weather in the 70s, with never a rain shower.

tierwestah, Tootsie was a nickname for former Mayor Kathy Whitmire, based on the movie, Tootsie.

Don't worry about the rant, Gary. We've all been lured in by ridiculous comparisons on this subject. In a few hours or days, we'll get a bunch of "Oh, yeah?" retorts about how our freeways, weather, retail and density suck.

For all who are about to post such nonsense, let me go ahead and say y'all are great at everything you do. We only wish we could carry your water...and play in your exquisite dry, summertime weather in the 70s, with never a rain shower.

tierwestah, Tootsie was a nickname for former Mayor Kathy Whitmire, based on the movie, Tootsie.

Yeah Red, it's amazing how frustrating these guys are. In fact these individuals are making me somewhat biased toward Dallas when I initially enjoyed my times there. Go figure.

Oh, and if you check the statistics, Dallas' daytime humidity is only a little lower than Houston's, except when Dallas' temperature is higher. The higher humidity in Houston largely occurs in the evening. That's why the temperature at the Texas Rangers games will often be 100 degrees until the 7th or 8th inning. (Remember when the fans would cheer when the temp. FINALLY dropped to 99?) Having lived in both cities, I wouldn't brag on either in June, July, August and part of September, though frankly, I felt Fort Worth was hotter...BARELY. The rest of the year, I'll take Houston, with its milder winters.

Actually, the humidity difference between DFW and Houston come more in the mornings in than in the evenings. In fact the evenings in DFW are actually hotter than Houston if you factor in the humidity (heat index). Where Houston is more oppressive is in the mornings, from say 8-11am where the difference is considerable. When you factor in the more oppressive evenings in DFW, the two are fairly close overall though. If you're comparing it to another city with much nicer summer weather (say Denver) then the differences are nearly trivial.

I'm not totally sure why Houston's image is so much worse compared to DFW in this respect, but I have theories:

1) June and September are more oppressive in Houston.

2) Less wind in Houston to take the sweat away

3) DFW is much more likely to have a nice day with dewpoints in the low 60s or even high 50s in say July or August. This may be a situation where people remember the extremes more than the averages.

Speaking of extremes, I tend not to complain much about the extreme weather in either place because it could be a lot worse, like it gets in the Midwest. Someone above mentioned the Ozarks. The Ozarks are much more likely to hit 120

I was hoping you'd come in and set everyone straight, Jason. I'm not sure where the image of Houston being worse in the summer comes from either, but I have always suspected that it is because we bragged about it so much. Kind of a badge of honor. :lol:

Who knows. Thanks for the weather tips.

Archived