Opinions On Housotn And Dallas

bkueb73

Red, I was thinking the same thing. I travel fairly extensively and my findings are the opposite from what Jason says. Although Texas in general is not looked upon favorably, Houston gets the nod from most outside of the state.

One example is skyscrapercity which has people from all over the world, and although it has some serious trolls, Houston wins every battle it has with Dallas quite easily. In fact just recently there was a poll regarding Texas cities. The poll said: "Favorite Texas city (except Houston)". Then the subtitle read "we all know Houston wins the Texas polls so know one can vote Houston". My point is that Houston is viewed more favorably than Dallas on a national and international level.

I'm also still bewidered at these rediculous weather posts regarding Dallas's Summers. C'mon all you Mcfly's, Texas is freakin Hot in the Summer! To say that Dallas is somehow more mild shows absolute ignorance, there famous for there high temperatures.

Lastly, I'll reiterate the fact that Dallas posters are generally the ones with the complex. They make goofy statements and prove there bias regardless of the facts. If I here another one of these guys talk about there security as a city I'm going to drive my car off the ship channel bridge.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DFW also has hills, some nice places to hike (such as the ridge along Mountain View lake), and doesn't have the flooding that goes with a plywood flat landscape. Some areas of DFW have a good amount of greenery (especially in the cross-timbers area of Tarrant and Johnson counties), though the areas north of Houston have good thick Piney woods. DFW is a 4-5 hour drive closer to the scenic hill/mountain campgrounds of Ozark AR/OK/MO and CO/NM, the same distance to the TX hill country, and 4-5 hours further away from Galveston's beaches (bleh.)

i'm sorry but Dallas's hills are mainly small slopes, they aren't even real hills! You can almost find much of what Dallas has in The Woodlands. Dallas people are always bragging on their hills, and true it has slightly more than Houston. But if you wanna see some hilly landscape with cliffs overlooking the city, come to Colorado Springs, CO. What Dallas considers to be hilly is not that much of a difference to Houston's landscape. Dallas/Ft. Worth is still relatively flat in my opinion. The closest city to what i've seen in Texas that I would consider to be hilly terrain is Austin or even parts of San Antonio.

i'm sorry but nobody knows what a real hill is until they visit Colorado Springs. pardon me while i rep my hometown for a minute...

logo_coloradobuyerbroker.com_large.jpg

And some more Colorado Springs links! (For more visit my Colorado Springs pictures thread)

http://www.coloradosprings-realestate.com/...moor_valley.jpg

http://www.coloradosprings-realestate.com/...ustom_homes.jpg

http://www.coloradosprings-realestate.com/...dmoor_hills.jpg

http://www.coloradosprings-realestate.com/...=rockrimmon.jpg

AND MY FAVORITE!!! BE SURE TO SCROLL LEFT ON THIS ONE, BUT DON'T LAUGH AT OUR DOWNTOWN SKYLINE. I'M REPPIN' HILLS, NOT SKYLINES CUZ COLO SPRINGS AIN'T GOT THAT

http://www.coloradosprings-realestate.com/...p_of_skyway.jpg

NOW Those are what i call some heavy-duty hills!

More "cool" Dallas facts:

In 1980, Dallas recorded 69 days with highs of 100 degrees or more, including 42 consecutive days. The average temperature from June to September was over 100....

....oh, and that was in the shade.

As stated before, if you're in Texas in the summer, the questions is, "Which part of Hell do you prefer?"

Red, I was thinking the same thing. I travel fairly extensively and my findings are the opposite from what Jason says. Although Texas in general is not looked upon favorably, Houston gets the nod from most outside of the state.

SNIP...

Lastly, I'll reiterate the fact that Dallas posters are generally the ones with the complex. They make goofy statements and prove there bias regardless of the facts. If I here another one of these guys talk about there security as a city I'm going to drive my car off the ship channel bridge.

Are you sure you don't have me confused with someone else? If not, can you tell me which findings you have that are opposite of mine?

As for people with a complex, I find posters from both cities with them. However, I try to realize that for a lot of people, their opinion on which city is "better" is probably true for their personal set of criteria. For instance, for the criteria I would expect a Skyscraper page member to have, of course Houston is going to be more popular. Next thing you're going to tell me New York and Chicago are popular there too? ;)

To Redscare: Perhaps some ideas wouldn't be so perpetuated if we cleaned up some of the info out there. From this very site, listen to this crazy stuff:

But the Bayou City can suffer through weeks of 110-degree weather in the summer.

Really????? When? Many (most?) Houston summers don't have any 100 degree days. Go to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston

and also see some deceptive comments about Houston's climate.

Jason

IOW, unlike Houston, coach never had to tell DFW, "When you get to the endzone, act like you've been there."

But either place is a great place to live. Very hard to beat the Woodlands (30 miles north of downtown Houston.)

Were you refering to the Irving Cowboys or the soon to be Arlington Cowboys?

It's all confusing to me as Houston sports teams have actually always played IN Houston.

Oh yeah! The Woodlands! A fabulous bastion of white-bread living. Far better than Houston with it's JSC, {Houston...that's one small step for a man...}, world-class museums, Grand Opera, ballet and more theater seats than any other US city outside of NYC. Oh, I forgot; that medical center...what an embarassment!

B)

Are you sure you don't have me confused with someone else? If not, can you tell me which findings you have that are opposite of mine?

As for people with a complex, I find posters from both cities with them. However, I try to realize that for a lot of people, their opinion on which city is "better" is probably true for their personal set of criteria. For instance, for the criteria I would expect a Skyscraper page member to have, of course Houston is going to be more popular. Next thing you're going to tell me New York and Chicago are popular there too? ;)

To Redscare: Perhaps some ideas wouldn't be so perpetuated if we cleaned up some of the info out there. From this very site, listen to this crazy stuff:

Really????? When? Many (most?) Houston summers don't have any 100 degree days. Go to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston

and also see some deceptive comments about Houston's climate.

Jason

No Jason I don't have you confused with anyone else. I was refering to your comment regarding Houston having a worse image than Dallas. My rebuttle which you can read in the post you responded to states that things are generally the opposite to your statement.

Your opinion is based on what fact? Give me a break pal, who knows who has better looking women, their are beautiful women in every city...... I have been to a Mavs game and thought, wow their are a lot of women made out of plastic here, A lot of face and lip jobs.

What a minute, here is an opinion Houston has beautiful South American women every where, beautiful white women, beautiful yellow-boned women. Dallas has basicly fake women who look like ____, and ghetto-hood rats. Houston by far has more beautiful women.

I tried to google a woman ghetto-hood rat, but was unsuccesfull. Please advise.

...standing by...

DFW generally beats Houston, primarily based on weather. Don't let anyone fool you, the lower humidity makes a huge difference. Even during the middle of summer I've run at midday on shaded trails here in DFW. Would never be able to do that in Houston, the humidity is just too stifling. This year I'd go out at dusk, and it was early October before I got my first mosquito bite of the year. In contrast, Houston is swarming with mosquitoes, I've even gotten them at lunchtime! The cold difference isn't that great, and it almost always warms up within a few days. Just means we get some scenic snow every other year or so, while Houston gets it once every 13 years. Generally DFW has a pleasant climate, though certainly more extreme than California. IMHO the difference between Houston and Tampa's weather has been overstated on this thread, they are pretty similar. Orlando's is almost identical to Houston, if that gives you a reference point. DFW also has hills, some nice places to hike (such as the ridge along Mountain View lake), and doesn't have the flooding that goes with a plywood flat landscape. Some areas of DFW have a good amount of greenery (especially in the cross-timbers area of Tarrant and Johnson counties), though the areas north of Houston have good thick Piney woods. DFW is a 4-5 hour drive closer to the scenic hill/mountain campgrounds of Ozark AR/OK/MO and CO/NM, the same distance to the TX hill country, and 4-5 hours further away from Galveston's beaches (bleh.) Difference is notably less to the better beaches of Corpus Christi and S. Padre Island. So you're options for a weekend getaway within a 3 or so hour drive are greater from DFW. In summer camping in the Ozarks vs. San Marcos can be a big difference, even if by only a few degrees of temperature. Hard for some to sleep when the nightime lows are in the high 70's, but the just 5-10 degree drop makes all the difference in the world. I guess distance to New Orleans won't matter for awhile.

Not much Houston can do to make up for those deficiencies. Otherwise the two are fairly similar, though with zoning DFW tends to have more tidy areas than greater Houston. Also DFW is IMHO easier to get around than Houston, because the centers are more spread out and you can found decent housing at a reasonable price without having to go so far out. Also DFW doesn't have the inferiority complex that some of the Houston boosters carry, you generally don't hear obsessive talk about needing to build X, Y, or Z in order to be a 'World-class city.' IOW, unlike Houston, coach never had to tell DFW, "When you get to the endzone, act like you've been there."

But either place is a great place to live. Very hard to beat the Woodlands (30 miles north of downtown Houston.)

Dont you make me go whip out my Krsipie Kreme quote again.

No Jason I don't have you confused with anyone else. I was refering to your comment regarding Houston having a worse image than Dallas. My rebuttle which you can read in the post you responded to states that things are generally the opposite to your statement.

Actually, I did NOT say that Houston has a worse image than Dallas. Read the whole sentence and follow the thread. I said on the topic of weather, I had some theories on why Houston's image was one of more oppressive summer weather than Dallas. So, either you didn't grasp that I was talking about weather, or you are clearly biased on your remark that "Houston gets the nod from most outside of the state" with respect to summer weather. And what I was explaining with all the objective facts in various posts is that by many measures Houston does not deserve the reputation that it clearly has as the most unbearable summer weather in Texas.

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

I am chuckling as I read these posts: today is Nov. 22nd and it is a perfect 72 degrees with blues skies and no mosquitoes in Houston. Don't rule out Oct thru May in H-town. We have some sparkling weather during these months; and the freezes are so short-lived (if any). Come on down, Houston is way friendlier. :)

Archived