Astroworld Park At 9001 Kirby Dr.

KimberlySayWhat

• 8 months later...

In 1970 I worked first on the old-fashioned cars and later at the Wacky Shack. The Shack had just been built and the wood smelled really awful--very strong chemical odors. We could hardly find our way to our cars after hours bc we were so sick. :blink:

My cousin worked in the park too and his favorite thing to do after his shift was over was to get on the Alpine Sleigh Ride with his coworkers and harass his friends who were playing the Abominable Snowman.

• 2 weeks later...

My dad took me, my cousin and a friend to Astroword during one its Fright Night periods. This was before they called it Fright Fest. The big deal that year ('87, '88?) was that Freddy Krueger was appearing there. My god, it was so crowded. You could barely walk through the park in some places.

Someone was shot inside the park that night, but it happened after we left that day.

what was the name of that other ride that dropped you there, preceding the dungeon drop? was it the sky screamer? it had an agonizing beep that would go off two or three seconds before it dropped you i liked that one but it scared the crap out of me! I remember my brother getting kicked out for taking his seatbelt off on thunder river and jumping in, he claimed he and his buddy were thrown out!!

last time i was there was the mid-90's on a fright night halloween night. I could tell we didn't belong there anymore. This was confirmed when we were walking across the parking lot and some kids ran between us and the shots rang between us as some other kids chased them shooting.

good ridance as it's time of family fun was done in my eyes. but I'll cherish the memories except those last ones.

Edited by westguy76

Yes westguy, that was SkyScreamer--OMG! Freaked me out!!

I had many good memories, but unfortunately, one time I was there on a day that I wasn't supposed to be (my mother expressly told me not to go), and when I came home I found out my father died. I only went one time after that, needless to say it was not the same.

I am sad that it is gone though.

Sky Screamer was great, you could put a quarter on either knee and when you dropped you could watch the quarters just hang in mid-air about chest high to you.

I remember puking my guts out when I was about 10 after my first trip on the Texas Cyclone. I rode Excalibur for a longtime after that. The Wagon wheel was OK. Loved Greased Lightning.

I remember the Texas Star Ampitheater, saw Flock of Seagulls, and The Fixx there. Bryan Adams played there one night. I remember the last time I went we rode XLR8 and the Flock of Seagulls were playing, And I Ran , as a teeneager, that was a pretty cool experience, but as an adult looking back on it, just seems lame. :lol:

Edited by TJones

Astroworld brings back so many memories. My Father sold concrete blocks and construction material and he provided most of it for the company that built Astroworld. As a kid he took me out to see the construction site numerous times in the late sixties when it was being built. Then in 1976 and 77 I worked at Astroworld. That was when they were building the Cyclone. I worked in the warehouse and we delivered everything out to the parks. One day I had to take a forklift and move a pattelt full of BB's out to the Cyclone. We had the BB's because they were used at a game in the Country Fair where you used and air gun to try and shoot all of a star out of a paper target for a prize. The shot came in 50 pound bags and they used 6 to a car on the Cyclone to test it before anyone rode it after it was built. Several of the bags flew out of the seats and busted open sending the BB's everywhere. For years after that I was one of the few people who knew why there were BB's on the ground under the Cyclone.

For anyone interested in a really old piece of Astroworld history if you are ever driving on Highway 6 west of 288 and a little west of 521 if you see a fenced in area on the south side of 6 you can still see several of the original buckets from the original Astrowheel. That was the two side ferris wheel type ride that was original to the park opening. It was closed after so many mechanical problems and as I remember one of the mechanics who worked at the Park asked if he could have some of the cars. They said sure and he put them out on Highway 6 where they are still sitting today.

I remember visiting Houston in the 90s, and seeing an Astroworld commercial with scientists in a lab, saying they came up with new and crazy ride called "Dungeon Drop". I think the first time I visited, I was stuck on the Taz Texas Tornado.

Angry Rollercoaster.

Regarding the Texas Tornado --

Originally called the Thriller and was operated as a traveling coaster throughout Germany. Built in 1986.

Named Taz's Texas Tornado when it opened at Astroworld in 1998.

Renamed to Texas Tornado for the 1999 season.

Closed in 2001 and 2002 due to issues with the restraints.

I went to Astroworld four times a year from 1979 - 2002., You can't talk about Astroworld memories with out mentioning smoking pot on the Cable Cars. :P

Edited by Marty

Sorry to be so "vanilla", but that makes you cool how. . . .? :rolleyes:

He didnt say anything about it making you cool... <_<

Anyhoo,

Best memories,

1. The king kong replica at the end of river of no return.

2. bamboo shoot ride

3. going right before closing to avoid lines

4. erasure concert (didnt catch that they were gay, wondered what the deal was with the roller skates...)

Edited by Sebastian De La Ghetto!

Best memories,

1. The king kong replica at the end of river of no return.

2. bamboo shoot ride

3. going right before closing to avoid rides

4. erasure concert (didnt catch that they were gay, wondered what the deal was with the roller skates...)

Kong at the end of River of No Return was always cool. Too bad he caught fire and had to be scrapped. That ride was ruined once they built XLR8 on top of it anyway.

Only the singer in Erasure's gay, btw. But... pretty surprising that anyone could see him perform and not jump to that conclusion. He was dressed in a tutu during their Astroworld show for the Wild tour if I remember correctly.

Afterwards moved to Six Flags Marine World (San Francisco), track re-profiled to reduce G-Forces and ride renamed Zonga. Operated intermittantly for about 2 years before being torn down. Currently for sale.

...geez, no one's intrigued about that photo of a model coaster I posted? It was on display at the IAAPA convention in November this year, the construction crew who will be erecting this structure were not very loose lipped about its intended destination near Houston.

Montrose1100 doesn't believe this rollercoaster has ever moved...or that rollercoasters CAN move. He believes -- quite passionately -- that they are built once and destroyed...kinda like how Carl Everett doesn't believe in dinosaurs.

Oh so THATS what happened to river of no return.....

How the hell does a giant fake kong catch fire?

Yeah i guess i was in denial? it didnt fully sink in until i caught their abba esque show in jones hall years later...

Sebastian, I was at Astroworld during the Erasure concert also that was about 1988 maybe '89 I think, at least the time I saw them it was, I knew he was gay going into the concert. Breaking Chains of Love, I heard him say in an interview back in the 80's that it was about the gay strife, for acceptance. I just thought the song was good to dance to back then, didn't know it had a message.

Edited by TJones

Regarding the Texas Tornado --

Originally called the Thriller and was operated as a traveling coaster throughout Germany. Built in 1986.

Named Taz's Texas Tornado when it opened at Astroworld in 1998.

Renamed to Texas Tornado for the 1999 season.

Closed in 2001 and 2002 due to issues with the restraints.

Where have I heard that before? Sorry, having a bit of deja vu or a glitch in the matrix or something.

Montrose1100 doesn't believe this rollercoaster has ever moved...or that rollercoasters CAN move. He believes -- quite passionately -- that they are built once and destroyed...kinda like how Carl Everett doesn't believe in dinosaurs.

No, I have always believed Roller Coasters move around. I argued with you about the Taz Texas Tornado moving around a cranival in germany, and the Taz Texas Tornado only.

Your title returns.

Edited by Montrose1100