I can confirm that there is an Au Bon Pain going in on the second floor of the building. It's accessible by Skywalk, or you can take the elevator up from the ground floor. I think the Starbucks and the Walgreens are going to be at ground level.

Also, Jax, if you're looking for more lunch options, I can recommend Rising Roll Gourmet in the older Health Professionals Building (just to the south of the new tower). It's accessible from Fannin street, and even has a few tables outside. It's pricey, but the sandwiches are very, very good and the service is fast. From Rice, you can cross Main at the new stoplight between MacGregor and University, walk up the alley and make a right on Fannin.

I can confirm that there is an Au Bon Pain going in on the second floor of the building. It's accessible by Skywalk, or you can take the elevator up from the ground floor. I think the Starbucks and the Walgreens are going to be at ground level.

Also, Jax, if you're looking for more lunch options, I can recommend Rising Roll Gourmet in the older Health Professionals Building (just to the south of the new tower). It's accessible from Fannin street, and even has a few tables outside. It's pricey, but the sandwiches are very, very good and the service is fast. From Rice, you can cross Main at the new stoplight between MacGregor and University, walk up the alley and make a right on Fannin.

I've always loved ABP ... just wondered why they never really caught on here -they're very popular up north like Philly, DC and Boston. The only one I've ever seen in Houston is on HWY 59 at a hotel near Lakewood.

yes, ABP is going in the second floor lobby, but I don't think it's open yet.. You can simply enter the building and take the escalator upstairs, or enter via skywalk. I usually walk indoors from BCM to Main through the Hermann skywalk system when I'm going to Rice.

Edited by Ian Rees

• 3 weeks later...

I walked by today when I was in the medical center and the Walgreens and Starbucks are indeed on the first floor. It will be very nice and convenient for me so I am happy about that.

The med center needs more ground level retail and restaurants. Chipotle is incredibly packed at lunch, somebody could make a fortune by opening another restaurant in walking distance of the hospitals. I'd like to see something non fast food and accessible by the public rather than being hidden away inside some hospital food court. Does anybody know if the Methodist expansion will have any room for retail?

I had lunch at Au Bon Pain today. It was excellent! Very good croissant, the filling was delicious, there's lots of seating, nice pastries - all and all an excellent addition to the paltry food offerings in the Medical Center.

On a slightly off topic note, I was VERY EXCITED to see that there is now a Brioche Doree on the second floor of the old Hermann building, near the walkway to the new tower!! I love that place when I'm in Europe, and they had things like Turkey Brie and Apple sandwiches - a nice change from standard boring American fare. They had delicious-looking pastries too.

What can I say, I like a good pastry!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it is the tallest in the Med Center, and emporis puts its height at 430', but then, they don't have the right number of floors for St Luke's, so you should take that with salt. Apparently it is a sophisticated design; Atlanta, the city putting on the most airs at present, is following this design as closely for its 50 Allen Plaza as it did Houston's Greenway Plaza AIM Funds Tower design in its 1180 Peachtree / One Symphony.

Well, it is the tallest in the Med Center, and emporis puts its height at 430', but then, they don't have the right number of floors for St Luke's, so you should take that with salt. Apparently it is a sophisticated design; Atlanta, the city putting on the most airs at present, is following this design as closely for its 50 Allen Plaza as it did Houston's Greenway Plaza AIM Funds Tower design in its 1180 Peachtree / One Symphony.

Height (tip) 430 ft

Height (main roof) 377 ft

Height (top floor) 361 ft

The data from Emporis for the building is apparently sourced from the blueprints that were in the construction trailer on-site at the time. Wouldn't mind having a copy of 'em now that I think about it... ^_^

I'm working on cleaning up some of the data for a number of the buildings, so hopefully things will be a bit more accurate in the not too distant future. Trust me, it's a bugger to some of us that can't make immediate & obvious corrections as well... but at least it isn't like wikipedia when it comes to editing.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
  • Like 1

• 6 years later...
  • 7 months later...

i-seen-it RubenS has added a photo to the pool:

Memorial Hermann Medical Plaza at Night | 006

Photograph by : (me) RubenS

R.Serrano Photography | iseenit PRODUCTIONS

** Follow me on Instagram: instagram.com/iseenit_rubens

like, follow or subscribe to my pages :
Facebook || Website || twitter || YouTube || pinterest || Google

Thank you !

Click here to view this photo at the HAIF Photo Pool on Flickr

i-seen-it RubenS has added a photo to the pool:

Memorial Hermann Medical Plaza #bugspov | 008

Photograph by : (me) RubenS

R.Serrano Photography | iseenit PRODUCTIONS

** Follow me on Instagram: instagram.com/iseenit_rubens

like, follow or subscribe to my pages :
Facebook || Website || twitter || YouTube || pinterest || Google

Thank you !

Click here to view this photo at the HAIF Photo Pool on Flickr

• 1 year later...

MetroNational is leasing out the "crown".  Apparently it's not just decorative.  There's 24k sqft of built out office space including the very top floor which is a 2,500 sqft boardroom with a 360 view.

http://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/Futuristic-crown-for-lease-atop-Memorial-Hermann-9184859.php#photo-10828286

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Memorial Hermann Medical Plaza
  • 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Houston photo: Memorial Hermann Medical Plaza At Night
  • 1 month later...