High-Rise Developments

IN DEPTH:

From the August 26, 2005 print edition

High-rise developments will tower over Houston

Christine Hall

Houston Business Journal

High-rise residential and mixed-use developments are reaching for the sky all over town, and there appears to be no end in sight for the trend.

Developers, with buildings in the works throughout the Houston area, say Houstonians want the advantages of views and low maintenance that high-rise condos provide.

Clear lake creation

Historically, buyers have flocked to places like Florida and California for waterfront property.

Now the activity is beginning to go where it has never gone before -- Clear Lake.

Houston Business Journal

• 1 month later...
not sure if i follow your question. both robinhood and renoir are complete. robinhood is that highrise that sticks out like a sore thumb in the village. renoir is the randall davis deal on shepherd and dallas (i think), right next to tilas and gotham.

Thanks thats what I wanted to know.

• 1 month later...

I've checked a little bit and Raiders Lofts is owned by a guy named Michael Raider in Colorado Springs... the Planning and Development Services Division hasn't recieved any new building permit paperwork for that address in 9 months... if I'm not mistaken, about the time it was sold.

hmm...he owns LandCo, but i couldn't find any association between michael raider and houston except this excerpt from the summer:

PROPOSED PARK BRINGS PROPOSED HIGH-RISE

HOUSTON, Texas (HoustonChronicle.com) – LandCo has purchased a block near a proposed city park on the eastern edge of downtown on which it plans to build a high-rise residential tower. This is the first proposed project near the 12-acre park. The block is bordered by LaBranch, Crawford, Rusk and Walker Streets and is near the George R. Brown Convention Center. Plans for the residential development are tentative, and construction will not begin for three years. It could include two residential towers with both apartments and condos and 50,000 square feet of retail on the ground floor.

The proposed $81 million park was one of the main reasons LandCo bought the block, according to Michael Raider, chief operating officer.

I was told that a high-rise was coming at the corner of Yale and Center St. (next to Washington Av. almost accross from the Social). Has anyone heard about it?

Haven't heard anything. Makes sense though. The downtown views from Center St. are awesome.

hmm...he owns LandCo, but i couldn't find any association between michael raider and houston except this excerpt from the summer:

I'm a bit confused - is Michael Raider connected to the former Day's Inn (Raider's Lofts)? or is the name coincidental?

What are the updates on Tremont Torture Towers? Is it still a lemon?

Let's put it this way - drive by at night and you won't see many lights on...

Well the Michael Raider of Days Inn is in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I spoke with the selling organization's national director a few weeks ago who gave me MR's contact information, along with a Ray Marshall.

I found this on GlobeSt.com:

"The Block 98 development will be the second project that LandCo has tackled in Houston's CBD. The company recently acquired the former Days Inn Hotel at 801 St. Joseph Parkway for redevelopment into 251 luxury apartments and retail space. Construction is scheduled to begin in early 2006, with units delivering in early 2007."

Thanks for the Raiders Loft information, Danes. I have to look at this gutted sucker every day and it's refreshing to know that there's still a plan in place that's on paper. They'd better start soon, because pieces of the garage's material are falling onto the sidewalk fronting the southern side of the building. They even had to put the yellow construction tape around that area of sidewalk in case more of the material falls.

According to the Tremont Towers website, 19 units have sold. I read an article on a newspaper site, don't remember where, that 3 or 4 of the regular units and all of the penthouses (shown as "sold") are owned by the building's investors.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Well the Michael Raider of Days Inn is in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I spoke with the selling organization's national director a few weeks ago who gave me MR's contact information, along with a Ray Marshall.

I found this on GlobeSt.com:

"The Block 98 development will be the second project that LandCo has tackled in Houston's CBD. The company recently acquired the former Days Inn Hotel at 801 St. Joseph Parkway for redevelopment into 251 luxury apartments and retail space. Construction is scheduled to begin in early 2006, with units delivering in early 2007."

Danes - who is the selling organization? and their national director?

They'd better start soon, because pieces of the garage's material are falling onto the sidewalk fronting the southern side of the building. They even had to put the yellow construction tape around that area of sidewalk in case more of the material falls.

i think the term is "spalding"

when i lived in the moody towers on the UH central campus the bldg was also losing it's facing concrete

• 1 month later...

goodfella--

MAHARISHI GLOBAL DEV FUND was the previous owner and I don't remember what the Director's name was.... just that he personally answered the phone that was listed on the organization's website. Must be a big company with a lot of employees.

Oh... and he had a REALLY bad squeaking chair.

• 1 month later...
There are fifteen units at The Riparian currently listed on HAR, so it apparently has not been scrapped. (The prices range from $447,900 to $3,549,900.)

Any ideas what the hold up is on The Riparian? When are they supposed to start construction?

My realtor for my house is also on the sales consultant (Prudential Realty) team for the Riparian.

He's says there's steady interest in the units, so the market of people that can afford and are looking is there. It's just a matter is they like the floorplans being offered.

If any of you look at the Riparian floorplans, they are pretty unique

My realtor for my house is also on the sales consultant (Prudential Realty) team for the Riparian.

He's says there's steady interest in the units, so the market of people that can afford and are looking is there. It's just a matter is they like the floorplans being offered.

If any of you look at the Riparian floorplans, they are pretty unique

Thanks for the update!

• The title was changed to High-Rise Developments

Archived