Texas A&M University College Station Developments

H-Town Man

am1.jpg

The women's urinals of Texas A&M University

These women's urinals are found in the Commons building at the College Station, TX campus of Texas A&M

am2.jpg

am3.jpg

Holy cow!! Those instructions sound like they are right out of "Brokeback Mountain"!!! Especially that FIXTURE part.

Well, back to flippin' PATTIES.

Edited by riverrat

The first college I went to had several men-only and women-only dorms. All were constructed with urinals so one could be changed to the other as the student population shifted. In a couple of the women's dorms men had never been (they weren't allowed past the front desk), so the women used to use the urinals for washing their hair.

Guest SPONGEBOB
The first college I went to had several men-only and women-only dorms. All were constructed with urinals so one could be changed to the other as the student population shifted. In a couple of the women's dorms men had never been (they weren't allowed past the front desk), so the women used to use the urinals for washing their hair.

MRS. PUFF still does...

• 1 month later...

President Robert Gates and other high-ranking A&M officials held two public forums to announce the university's plans to seek a $450 million grant from the Department of Homeland Security that would be used to build the 500,000-square-foot National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility on 30 acres.

Garry Adams, who is coordinating the project, said A&M has determined the site would be within a 110-acre area in Research Park at the corner of Harvey Mitchell Parkway South and Raymond Stotzer Parkway.

The university could face competition from as many as 18 other entities vying for the facility, but Gates said he thinks A&M's broad-based programs make College Station an optimum site.

After a final site is chosen, construction would likely begin about 2008 and take about four years, Adams speculated. Then it would take another year to commission the building, or ensure that it is redundantly safe and secure, Adams said.

If the facility is built in College Station, it would change the face of the university and the local economy, officials have said. Beyond the initial $450 million building project, the facility would employ some 300 federal workers, including many scientists who could potentially have dual appointments to also teach at A&M. Also, spin-off technologies would require additional facilities in the area, Adams said.

Gates, a former director of the CIA, said A&M could be at the center of creating vaccines, diagnostic tests and treatments against pathogens that could potentially harm the nation's food supply and threaten the national economy.

"This proposed federal research lab is envisioned as playing a critical role in the nation's defense against bioterrorism and emerging diseases," he said. "Securing such a facility would literally place Texas A&M in the vanguard for cutting-edge research and discovery and enhance the economic landscape for this community."

http://www.theeagle.com/stories/032206/am_20060322001.php

• Like 1

Oink, oink.

I'm with mrfootball on this one. Just attach "Homeland Security" to something and there is no limit to the amount of money that will be thrown at it.

On the other hand, I sure am glad they are protecting that can of corn in my cupboard. I was getting concerned. <_<

• 1 month later...

http://www.thebatt.com/media/storage/paper...om&mkey=1459993

17x868cg.jpg

In fall 2006, Texas A&M students will return to a campus undergoing extreme renovation.

Several major construction projects will begin in summer 2006 and continue into the fall that will dramatically alter the look of A&M's campus and affect the way students are able to get around campus.

Four of the most immediate and important projects are: the groundbreakings of two physics buildings on the north side of campus, the groundbreaking of the Interdisciplinary Life Science Complex near the Simpson Drill Field, the remodeling of Ross Street between Ireland and North Bizzell, and the building of an athletic complex near Kyle Field, which will provide additional practice facilities for the football team as well as many other teams on campus, said Joel Wixson, the student representative for the Council for the Built Environment.

The construction will lead to changes in the way students get around campus. The most obvious change will be the construction on Ross Street. Current plans have the street, which has been closed to eastbound traffic for several years, being widened. The CBE, which is overseeing construction and ensuring that it adheres to the campus master plan, plans to have the street run both ways with a median.

A consequence of the construction will be the loss of hundreds of parking spaces. The CBE estimates a loss of about 1,200 student, faculty and staff parking spaces. This initial estimate drew harsh criticism, especially from professors who were faced with the decision to either move to a parking space significantly farther from their classes and offices, or pay more than double the price of their current permits for a spot in the parking garage.

"The (Transportation Construction Committee's) plans have been discussed through an open forum and numerous meetings, including the Faculty Senate Executive Committee and the Distinguished Professors Executive Committee," Joe Powell, associate vice president for business affairs, said in an e-mail. "The recommendation to eliminate numbered reserved parking spaces has been placed on hold. Further review is necessary to accommodate the 604 individuals who will be displaced from PA42 and PA5."

The athletics building will be a major addition to the area southwest of Kyle Field. The buildings will have brick in the bottom and inflatable roofs that allow for the department to change the building's climate. One building will be used exclusively for football and the other will be used for several sports, including tennis and baseball.

"The covered practice facility will help several of our programs compete on a higher level," Jerry F. Holditch, who donated $1 million for the project, said in a press release. "When it's 101 degrees outside, it's going to be nice to be able to go inside and still get a great practice. I also understand that you have to keep up with facility improvements for recruiting."

The Life Sciences Building, which will be located adjacent to the O.R. Simpson Drill Field, will be the largest building on campus when it is completed, Wixson said. It will only stand three stories, but it will span more than 100 yards. The facility will be used by several different departments and will likely house students in all colleges at some point in their careers.

The new George P. and Cynthia W. Mitchell Institute for Fundamental Physics and Astronomy and the George P. Mitchell '40 Physics Building will be located north of the Blocker Building. The two buildings will be funded by a donation by George P. Mitchell, who commissioned Michael Graves and Associates, a world-renowned architecture firm that usually does not do projects in Texas.

The construction projects will be underway when students return in the fall. Later in the semester work is expected to begin on vehicle and pedestrian underpasses that will go under Wellborn Road and connect Olsen Boulevard with Lamar and Jones Streets around the Albritton Clock Tower, Wixson said.

"The goals of these underpasses are to increase traffic flow and connect the east and west campus," Wixson said.

The goal is to make the two parts of campus seem less separate, he said.

The "Interdisciplinary Life Sciences Building":

fromthesoutheast2.jpg

VIDEO:

http://ilsb.tamu.edu/tamu.flv/view

The "George P. and Cynthia W. Mitchell Institute for Fundamental Physics and Astronomy and the George P. Mitchell '40 Physics Building":

building.jpg

Athletic Indoor Facility:

IndoorFacility1.JPG

VIDEO:

http://agclips.com/images/indoor.wmv

The Texas Institute for Genomic Medicine (in Research Park)

building-sm.jpg

Edited by aggie0083
  • Like 1

I've moaned about this before on this site, but I really wish College Station voters would have approved funding for their potion of LoTrack in the early 90's(Bryan and Texas A&M had already pledged their portions, and TxDots contribution would have been extremely generous).

The plan called for numerous ground level overpasses of Wellborn and the railroad tracks through the Texas A&M campus, grade separation/interchanges at Villa Maria, University, Bush and 2818, as well as a few more bridges over the lowered Welborn/tracks such as at F&B/Old College and at a location between Bush and 2818.

Now fifteen years later construction is finally beggining/about to begin at the numerous problem intersections.

Ross Street has been a mess for at least ten years, it is amazing it has taken A&M so long to find a solution.

The Mitchell Physics building should be a nice looking building, especially since Michael Graves and Associates will design it.

Edited by Scotch

I've moaned about this before on this site, but I really wish College Station voters would have approved funding for their potion of LoTrack in the early 90's(Bryan and Texas A&M had already pledged their portions, and TxDots contribution would have been extremely generous).

The plan called for numerous ground level overpasses of Wellborn and the railroad tracks through the Texas A&M campus, grade separation/interchanges at Villa Maria, University, Bush and 2818, as well as a few more bridges over the lowered Welborn/tracks such as at F&B/Old College and at a location between Bush and 2818.

Now fifteen years later construction is finally beggining/about to begin at the numerous problem intersections.

Ross Street has been a mess for at least ten years, it is amazing it has taken A&M so long to find a solution.

The Mitchell Physics building should be a nice looking building, especially since Michael Graves and Associates will design it.

I still can't believe Lo-track didn't pass. It would've made the whole area easier to travel and look a whole lot better. Even after all is said and done there still will not be an underpass at Old Main, it's not in the plans. While on the subject, the University at Wellborn overpass needs some much needed aesthetic upgrades.

Ross Street was scheduled to been completed with the whole New Main construction 3 or 4 years ago but once they started building the Jack E Brown ChemE building (and thus closing Spence Street) they couldn't continue since it would cut off access to the central part of campus. I was told that either Spence Street or Ross Street needs to be open at all times because of deliveries needed for research in the Chemistry Building.

It will be interesting to see how they widen it and add a median though. There is a lot of room between the north side of the street and the buildings, I wonder if the trees that are there now, just to the north of Ross street, will become the median and another 2 lane road placed in what is now sidewalk.

The physics buildings sound interesting. Hopefully there will be a rendering of the upcoming buildings on the Michael Graves and Associates web site soon.

This Life Sciences center sounds interesting. The future largest building on campus. Hard to imagine. It will change the whole center of campus, but I guess that's what they are going for.

I'm glad to see some of these parking lots go, even though it means inconvenience to some. I just wonder how long it will take for additional parking garages to come up to take their place like these two from the CMP.

Edited by aggie0083

• 4 weeks later...

The new Life Sciences & Mitchell buildings seem to be a major break from standard architecture on A&M's campus. You can see just behind the Mitchell building the basically brand new Chemical Engineering building which is very typical for A&M...tan brick, angular, etc. University Drive is going to be almost unrecognizable. I'm not saying these are bad additions. A little change will be nice.

• 1 month later...
Okay, so my memory fades. (Class of 96) Perhaps it is 6 floors and was supposed to be 8. I specifically remember being told that in my ENGR 109 class as an example of not including all the pertinent data in your design.

I graduated class of 99, and was told the exact same thing concerning evans (although with the correct number of floors :) )

• 2 months later...

A&M center talks tabled by regents

http://www.theeagle.com/stories/092206/am_20060922004.php

By HOLLY HUFFMAN

Eagle Staff Writer

Texas A&M University System regents postponed public talks about the future site of the Health Science Center after hearing a presentation from Bryan city leaders urging the board to move the facility north.

The regents had planned to discuss naming a 150-acre site near the George Bush Presidential Library as the new home for the system's growing Health Science Center. The site was recommended by Health Science Center President Nancy Dickey.

But the item was pulled from the agenda late Thursday, just hours after regents heard a proposal from Bryan Business Council Executive Director Dennis Goehring, who asked the group to consider building the facility in Bryan.

Regent Erle Nye described the city's proposal - which includes an undisclosed Bryan site that the city does not yet own - as "very interesting." But he said it was not what prompted the panel to delay the discussion.

Nye said the item was withdrawn from the agenda because board members had yet to come to a consensus on one site. He said that the meeting was running late, and the agenda had been worded incorrectly, which means regents could have discussed the item but would have been prohibited from taking action on it.

"The city [of Bryan] is very impressive in their approach," Nye said, noting that regents would select a site based on "what is ultimately best for the students, for the university and for the community."

The Health Science Center is planning to double its enrollment, which is why the facility is in need of a new home. Nye, chairman of the regents' buildings and physical plant committee, said the system had been searching for a new location for about nine months and had looked at about six sites during that time.

"Some made news, some didn't," Nye said of the locations.

In May, the regents heard a presentation on three potential sites - the land Dickey is recommending off George Bush Drive, 53 acres off Earl Rudder Freeway South and the 130-acre Bryan Municipal Golf Course.

The city of Bryan offered its golf course as a potential site during its first attempt to lure the A&M facility to Bryan. At the time, Dickey expressed concerns about the site, saying it was in an "economically depressed neighborhood."

Nye said Thursday "at least two or more" sites were under consideration by the Board of Regents. He declined to name them but acknowledged that one location was in Bryan.

Dickey could not be reached late Thursday for comment, but Nye said she appeared interested in the Bryan site.

Goehring said he thought the meeting had gone well for the city and was not surprised to learn regents postponed discussion of the George Bush Drive location.

"For the first time, they had the opportunity to see what we could really offer to the system in terms of acreage and facilities," Goehring said, declining to give further detail on the proposal. "We wanted to present a plan that really complemented what the Health Science Center wanted to do. We have all the same objectives; the only difference is a few feet.

"It is a very good day for the city of Bryan," he said.

Nye said he hoped the regents would make a final decision by the end of the year and stressed the importance of a quality decision over a quick decision. He likened the process to purchasing a house. Buyers looking at several lots compare various aspects, such as the quality of surrounding schools, the property tax rate and neighborhood hazards before making a decision, he said.

The Board of Regents is going through a similar, albeit much more complicated, process as it tries to determine which location is the best fit for the facility. The outcome will affect the Health Science Center for years to come, he said.

"We simply haven't gotten to the point where we're ready to make a decision yet," Nye said. "It's important we get it right."

• Like 1

Your thread title is a bit adversarial. The Texas A&M Health Science Center, which is no longer under the umbrella of Texas A&M University(C.S.), wishes to move off the A&M main campus and create a distinct campus of its own. What better way to do this than to move to a great Bryan location?

Choosing a piece of land adjacent to the campus of Texas A&M will not help them to create the separate identity they are looking for.

Your thread title is a bit adversarial. The Texas A&M Health Science Center, which is no longer under the umbrella of Texas A&M University(C.S.), wishes to move off the A&M main campus and create a distinct campus of its own. What better way to do this than to move to a great Bryan location?

Choosing a piece of land adjacent to the campus of Texas A&M will not help them to create the separate identity they are looking for.

I think you're trying to read too much into how I titled the thread...lol...I'm not trying to get fights started, just explain what is happening...and, indeed, Bryan is trying to lure the HSC away from a site in College Station. Whether that's a bad thing or not, I'll leave that for the people who read the story to decide.

^_^

-Justin

Whether that's a bad thing or not, I'll leave that for the people who read the story to decide.
I like that after Nancy Dickey turned down the first proposed site offer by Bryan, that the city put another presentation together that was heard by the system regents. Now, who know's what the main reason why the regents postponed public talks after hearing Bryan proposal, but it had to be a very intriguing location that the regents decided to think about (if they postponed because of Bryan proposal). Looking around the city I wonder what was the Bryan location they proposed that caused possible some interest from the regents, maybe somewhere that is far away from a "economically depressed neighborhood'' (of course) my guess is maybe out in the Copperfield area, good location nice school and neighborhood and it's a growing and thriving community.

It is not free, but it is a municipal course so it is much cheaper than courses than require memberships or only allow non members to golf at a premium rate.

I believe that the Muni course is off the table, and I wish it wasn't. I think that location would have been great for all involved. The new site is probably along Hwy. 47.

It is not free, but it is a municipal course so it is much cheaper than courses than require memberships or only allow non members to golf at a premium rate.

I believe that the Muni course is off the table, and I wish it wasn't. I think that location would have been great for all involved. The new site is probably along Hwy. 47.

That would be my guess as well...or possibly on West Villa Maria between 2818 and 47. What better way to connect Traditions to A&M than have the A&M Health Science Center within a block or two? The city is working to annex an additional 20 acres basically across the street, adjacent to Oak Meadow subdivision as we speak. Of course, that doesn't have road frontage and I think A&M is looking for a fairly large parcel of land. I wonder if they're considering something near the new county exhibition hall? That could prove useful to the Health Science Center...to have a convention center very close. I know the county scaled back their plans quite a bit to stay within budget but I'd guess an investment by A&M in that part of town could spur them to go ahead and build the structures they dropped from the plan. Sonsider this as a far out idea too: Traditions was originally to include a hotel & convention center of its own. Can you imagine what a kickstart this center would be to those plans, if they located it within the overall Traditions development?

060404_TRADITIONS_MRA_FINAL_MASTERPLAN_11x17.jpg

There's tons of room to the south of the golf course & club. Who knows?

As a Bryanite and third generation Aggie I'd love for the Health Science Center to locate here but I have to admit its a long shot.

Edited by Bryan Guy