Rebuild New Orleans Or Not?

I've heard that Bush administration cuts had stopped work on New Orleans east bank levees several years ago. Lots of money was taken from the Army Corps or Engineers and put into Homeland Security and the war in Iraq.

This isn't great for us either. I wonder how it effected projects to help Houston prevent another Allison-disaster. Or maybe the policy is that disaster has to strike before you get any money to prevent it.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've heard that Bush administration cuts had stopped work on New Orleans east bank levees several years ago. Lots of money was taken from the Army Corps or Engineers and put into Homeland Security and the war in Iraq.

This isn't great for us either. I wonder how it effected projects to help Houston prevent another Allison-disaster. Or maybe the policy is that disaster has to strike before you get any money to prevent it.

Um, no amount of money would have spared New Orleans. You can't build a city under sea level and expect to survive a Cat 5 hurricance. Some people will blame the president for everything. I heard that the BBC was blaming Bush because he didn't sign the Kyoto agreement. Can't we put aside politics for once and see things for what they truly are?

This is basically the equivalent of an atomic bomb being dropped on the city. The only difference is the loss of life. This city will be contaminated and uninhabitable for a long time.

People should hold the government directly accountable for their decisions regarding public infrastructure. It ties into politics only because these people are making these important decisions. Considering the levee system broke after the hurricane left, it could've made a difference if the city had work completed before the storm hit.

westguy,

do you know which levee you are talking about?

None of the levees that broke or that are part of the Lake Ponchartrain levee system are classified as East Bank. The use of the word East Bank in the Army Corps and in the New Orleans area relates to the Mississippi River.

Within the New Orleans (urbanized area), few land levees exist. Most of the protectino from the River within east bank area within New Orleans is natural highbank. The corps has installed gates and some concrete walls (completed project) along the area for trucks to get to the loading docks.

East Bank levees exist south of New Orleans and and further upstream. These are under routine maintainance.

The money most probably pulled was study money and future project money. Also, the Army Corps has some of its own accounting issues. They routinely overspend budges just like the Pentagon. The Bush administration made a move that no president (whether republican or democrat) has been brave enough to do. He decided to crack down on the reckless spending within the Corps. As much as I love the Army Corps, I too notice their problems. His order forced an oversight of the budgets for study money and some proposed construction constracts. Whether its perfect solution or not is a whole other story.

The same thing should be done to many other government programs including the defense department.

Also, read my post above about the weakest part of the levee.

Um, no amount of money would have spared New Orleans.  You can't build a city under sea level and expect to survive a Cat 5 hurricance.  Some people will blame the president for everything.  I heard that the BBC was blaming Bush because he didn't sign the Kyoto agreement.  Can't we put aside politics for once and see things for what they truly are? 

This is basically the equivalent of an atomic bomb being dropped on the city.  The only difference is the loss of life.  This city will be contaminated and uninhabitable for a long time.

Thank you for an honest post. This story was not caused by Bush or anyone else. It was caused by mother nature. The very liberal New York Times ran an article blaming. . . NATURE! Imagine that, nature. Global warming was not mentioned (for once). I wish some people could look beyond politics, but they are too ignorant to do so.

i was on a flight yesterday from orlando, they flew their normal flight path, right along the coast. it was sad to see so few lights, especially when we got to new orleans. but there was more power then i expected, probably from generators.

there were a couple people on the flight i happen to start talking to while waiting in MCO that were from new orleans. one was a police officer and the other a student, both flying to houston the meet up with their families. they will be looking for employment, and plan to stay in and extended stay motel. a lady next to us from Houston offered her house and gave them her cell number.

but they both plan to go back to new orleans, the love the city too much and won't give up that easily.

I wonder how the evacuees will get here. The Governor of Lousiana said that they would take people out of NOLA if they could, but I-10 is broken up and totally unusable, so putting people on busses is one thing, but what roads will they be able to take to get here? Just wondering...

The section of Interstate 10 that is in such horrible condition is east of the city. I've seen no reports of the section of the interstate northwest of New Orleans heading to Baton Rouge being totally unpassable due to bridges being out.

^^^^

Also,

From downtown NO they can cross the river and ride the Westbank Expressway. Highway 90 will take them all the way to Layfayette. That route didn't get damaged and the water is off the road now.

It's mostly freeway too. They don't have to take I-10 west to leave new Orleans to Houston.

I'm from a small town off of Highway 90 about 50 miles from New Orleans.

Some state trooper friends of mine have me on a email list for emergency postings. The roads are all clear in that direction. They just have troups guarding inbound.

The weirdest thing is that I haven't heard anything reported about the Westbank. They aren't as flood proned as the eastbank.

What I can't believe are the numbers of people who stayed in their homes in New Orleans, Gulfport, Biloxi, and other coastal areas.

ssullivan

On the news this morning, I heard that 1 in 6 people in New Orleans do not own a vehicle, so they could not have evacuated unless they found a ride.

On the news this morning, I heard that 1 in 6 people in New Orleans do not own a vehicle, so they could not have evacuated unless they found a ride.

Yes but transportation to the shelter at the Superdome was available. Public transportation was still running over most of the weekend. The thousands who took up refuge there probably didn't have cars either. Despite the horrible conditions inside the stadium, at least those people weren't in as much danger during the storm or afterwards when the flooding got really severe. The entire situation is horrible, but I just don't get people trying to wait out the storm in their homes like that when mandatory evacuations had been ordered.

Americans build and we will rebuild the levees and the city , it will create jobs , it will stimulate growth and it will be better than before . Even the DOW was up today , the country will overcome and show the world how strong we are .

Yes but transportation to the shelter at the Superdome was available. Public transportation was still running over most of the weekend. The thousands who took up refuge there probably didn't have cars either. Despite the horrible conditions inside the stadium, at least those people weren't in as much danger during the storm or afterwards when the flooding got really severe. The entire situation is horrible, but I just don't get people trying to wait out the storm in their homes like that when mandatory evacuations had been ordered.

i think it was a situation where they had cried 'wolf' so many times. so many times storm warnings were given and nothing ever materialized. this time they said it again and unfortunately it did materialize in a big and devastating way.

heck, i know people here who would not leave if they were ordered out. not saying i blame these folks, but i understand what they did. i would not have stayed, but i understand those that did.

especially if they could not get out because of lack of funds or transportation.

also, not sure if this is just a worst case scenario, but the prognosis doesn't sound good: msnbc article

Baton Rouge has been having complaints of the evacuees destroying and showing no concern for the property of others. Claiming that they have a right to receive this, that, and everything else. I would love the police to enact a marshall law withing these shelters. Arrest any lawless people and hold them without bail.

Baton Rouge officials held a press conference to say precisely that. They also warned any BR residents that thought they might start something that they'd be watching them, too. Some of these refugees are definitely biting the hand that is trying to feed them.

BTW, it's "Martial law", not "Marshall law". The "Marshall Plan", however, is similar to what the US will need to do for New Orleans.

Archived